Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 QB

Re: 2013 QB

2013 QB

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-10-09/sports/fl-fau-owls-louisiana-monroe-blueprint-1010-20121009_1_fau-coach-carl-pelini-ulm-quarterback-louisiana-monroe

"Pelini doesn't have that kind of quarterback. He thought he did, when Melvin German transferred to FAU in the summer, but German's grades didn't meet FAU's standards and he has had to sit out the season.

Even the glancing reference of the quarterback position picked at a scab Pelini hasn't let fully heal. During the preseason, as German's transfer ordeal dragged on longer than the coach expected, Pelini strongly made the case that to be a successful squad, there needs to be more than just a good coach. Tuesday, he echoed his sentiments.

"There needs to be a commitment by the school and the athletic department to provide the resources," the first-year coach said. "There has to be. There's a lesson to be learned from Monroe, not only by our players, but for our athletic program and our university.""

This isnt the report I read but it shows Coach P. was frustrated with the whole MG3 thing. I'll keep looking for the other report.

Back to the top

What does that mean?  Rubber stamp athletes so they can qualify?  No thank you….FAU standards have increased in recent years, but lets be honest it's not Harvard or UM or UF.  That leaves a GIANT pool of talent that Pelini can recruit and expect to qualify to FAU standards.

If he's talking about what Chun was talking about…more tutoring for the athletes then i agree.  But something needs to be put on the student athlete.  Like doing what is necessary to pass their classes instead of spending your time on Twitter saying "N word this or N word that" or my favorite "I am going to make millions"…

Hopefully the MGIII debacle was a first year coach mistake and he will go after qualified student athletes.  Not everyone is capable of college studies.

And before I get attacked…I know most of our student athletes work hard at their studies and are very sucessful.  I am well aware.
Back to the top

+1 Tim
Back to the top

Tim said

What does that mean?  Rubber stamp athletes so they can qualify?  No thank you….

I don't think anyone is talking about breaking rules…  But within the rules a school can do a lot to help the football players pass and stay qualified.

Honestly I think Coach P. was a little frustrated with the "small program" mentality he meet at FAU… Im sure the Nebraska program does everything they can within the rules to help their football program…

Lets be honest, at FAU, football is a back burner program.  Is FAU trying to improve that? Yes… Can they do more to support the Football program? Sure…

Back to the top

Wouldn't worry much about German, more than likely isn't gonna make it. Forget about him and his wonderful tweets that would represent the university so well. To many good high school qbs out there and leave the juco qbs  alone, there is a reason why they are there.
Back to the top

big said

Wouldn't worry much about German, more than likely isn't gonna make it. Forget about him and his wonderful tweets that would represent the university so well. To many good high school qbs out there and leave the juco qbs  alone, there is a reason why they are there.

Well the new qb "commit" is there due to injury and says he will be here in December! That is a nice thing and he is a big kid who posted some nice numbers and has three (3) years of eligibility to bring to FAU. Think we shoud get a decent hs qb too though.
Back to the top

big said

I know he tweeted some dumb stuff but I never saw it.  Is there a link to what he said?
Back to the top

Tim said

What does that mean?  Rubber stamp athletes so they can qualify?  No thank you….FAU standards have increased in recent years, but lets be honest it's not Harvard or UM or UF.  That leaves a GIANT pool of talent that Pelini can recruit and expect to qualify to FAU standards.

If he's talking about what Chun was talking about…more tutoring for the athletes then i agree.  But something needs to be put on the student athlete.  Like doing what is necessary to pass their classes instead of spending your time on Twitter saying "N word this or N word that" or my favorite "I am going to make millions"…

Hopefully the MGIII debacle was a first year coach mistake and he will go after qualified student athletes.  Not everyone is capable of college studies.

And before I get attacked…I know most of our student athletes work hard at their studies and are very sucessful.  I am well aware.

Just wondering, were you a student/athlete?
Back to the top

big said

Yes there are reasons these kids are at Jucos, some their fault, some are not their fault.  Are you aware, that the average student/athlete, are not aware of the eligibility requirements for the NCAA?  Are you well aware, that a kid could have all of their graduation requirements and still not be eligible per NCAA requirements?  I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion, however there sometimes are issues that are beyond the student. Remember, AJ was a late qualifier, by no fault of his.  I was not as well versed with the NCAA as I am today .  I come online and I read posts, that I quite frankly don't think anyone knows the facts.  But this is just a forum for everyone to give their thoughts, which is pretty nice.  But to throw a child away or dismiss him/her because they may or maynot have made a mistake in their young lives, is horrible.  Jucos have some of the best athletes, and believe it or not, some even turn into excellent athletes and human beings, because of the long road they had to take.  Really,  dismiss the Jucos?  Are you serious.  And maybe, just maybe, Melvin did not get the correct advice needed while at the Juco.  I will tell you this,  I love a coaching staff that is willing to give kids a chance to prove themselves, if they mess up the chance, then you would want to rethink, but to label a kid right out of the gate?  Wow

Salute the Hoot
Back to the top

MomOwl1 said

big said

Yes there are reasons these kids are at Jucos, some their fault, some are not their fault.  Are you aware, that the average student/athlete, are not aware of the eligibility requirements for the NCAA?  Are you well aware, that a kid could have all of their graduation requirements and still not be eligible per NCAA requirements?  I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion, however there sometimes are issues that are beyond the student. Remember, AJ was a late qualifier, by no fault of his.  I was not as well versed with the NCAA as I am today .  I come online and I read posts, that I quite frankly don't think anyone knows the facts.  But this is just a forum for everyone to give their thoughts, which is pretty nice.  But to throw a child away or dismiss him/her because they may or maynot have made a mistake in their young lives, is horrible.  Jucos have some of the best athletes, and believe it or not, some even turn into excellent athletes and human beings, because of the long road they had to take.  Really,  dismiss the Jucos?  Are you serious.  And maybe, just maybe, Melvin did not get the correct advice needed while at the Juco.  I will tell you this,  I love a coaching staff that is willing to give kids a chance to prove themselves, if they mess up the chance, then you would want to rethink, but to label a kid right out of the gate?  Wow

Salute the Hoot

Let me also add, that a student/athlete must know the requirements as incoming high school freshman in order to be on the right track.  And I also believe that there has to be some exceptions for these student/athletes, no matter what sport they play.
Back to the top
Control functions: