Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 Wise Guys FanCast - Brought to you by The Owl's Nest

Episode three is now up!

Last week against UM, we got to know more about our new QBs in Quez Johnson and Greg Hankerson. We also learned how much better our defense has gotten from last season. This week, the Owls head to East Carolina not seeking deep-sea treasure, just their first Conference USA win. The Wise Guys welcome guest panelist Dieter Kurtenbach from the Sun Sentinel, who jumps on to give us his input.

Episode Three: Owls Set for First C-USA Affair - September 3rd, 2013
Back to the top

Comments/feedback about the Wise Guys Podcast…

Please feel free to post on this thread every week and we'll select the best comments written here and read them out on the show. We want to interact with all of you, but now it's your turn.

Our next show will recap the ECU game on Monday September 9th. Please leave any questions or comments for the podcast for us every week so Andy (silverbullet32), Andrew and I can talk about it.

Thanks!
Back to the top

Nice podcast again guys, good info but honest! I predict ECU 41-20, hate to.

But until our OC LETS THEM PLAY we cannot score very many points, even though you could argue we should have had 17-21 pts. vs. UM IF we had an efficient (or effective - you choose the word you want) red zone attack AND did not have a HC BRAIN FART!
Back to the top

I'm giving Brian another week, then I'm going to start getting worried. We've been waiting to "open it up" for over a year now.

Loving the Podcast guys, nice having Deets and Andrew on there too, it's great.
Back to the top

I think we might touch on the performance of the O on our next podcast...lol

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Wise Guys Podcast Thread 9/9/13: Talent Assessement

I know a lot of people posting on the gameday thread have been very vocal on the coaching, and I'm with you.

I want to pose a question to all of you for this Mondays podcast. Please answer as brief as you can. We will read out the best responses on this week's show.

Where have we gotten better and where do we have room to improve right away based on the first two games?
Back to the top

Pleasant Surprises: 
Special Teams as seen a big uptick and has kept us in games (esp Sean Kelly) minus the kickoff return at ECU weve been great there. Shocking what happens when someone takes the time to coach ST.
LBs and Secondary have also been pretty tight. Reaser is the real deal.

Areas of need:
Glaring need, offense play calling and QB. 
I hate to put it this way but right now, Brian Wright is reminding me of Daryl Jackson as OC. It took him all the way to the end of his first year as our OC to actually open up the playbook. 
Back to the top

I've noticed that the team plays with a lot of discipline.  They do not take many dumb penalties.  The conditioning also seems improved.
Back to the top

Gotten Better:

- Compared to last year, believe you could successfully assert that we are overall better defensively.
- Special Teams, as teambeer mentioned, are noticeably better.

Improve Right Away:

- O-Line
- Passing accuracy

Given the above needs, don't think it is fair to "expect" successful throws in the mid range game yet, but at least we are trying. And that is obviously part of the developmental process.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I've noticed that the team plays with a lot of discipline.  They do not take many dumb penalties.  The conditioning also seems improved.
Posted On: Sep 8th 2013, 8:25 PM #317029

+1. This is where I've seen the most improvement.

And

our passing game needs to improve ASAP. It's really that simple. If FAU can move the chains the way ECU did on their opening drive, we can go bowling. But I don't see that happening until we settle on a QB. The longer they drag this out, the worse our overall record will be.
Back to the top
Control functions: