Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2015 FAU Football Preseason Camp

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Notables from Day 4 via SID Katrina McCormack:

“We are only four days in so it is really hard to tell, but I’m cautiously optimistic,” said Roc Bellantoni, FAU’s Defensive Coordinator, about his young defense. “We are going to have some guys who can play, especially the young guys coming in. They are putting heat on the older guys to play. When they (newcomers) figure out what is going on, they will be a pretty good group. The older guys have stepped up and have gotten a lot better too. It will be pretty interesting to see the competition play out.”

The team work session saw the defense shine on back-to-back plays with Andrew Matyk, a converted quarterback playing linebacker, received credit for a pass breakup. One play later, another linebacker broke up a play across the middle and Marquese Dudley-Gordon batted a third ball down.

Senior wide receiver Jenson Stoshak then made the defense pay during the third and long drills with two catches to move the chains. Senior receiver Derek Moise mirrored Stoshak’s efforts with two as well. The running game was highlighted by Jay Warren runs and a big play from senior Jaquez Johnson who broke for a 44-yard touchdown run.

The Owls also saw the return of the fullback package, which was occasionally used a year ago. Newcomer Kal-El Williams, the only fullback listed on the roster, made the defense suffer both on the ground and through the air.
As in every practice, the team continued to focus on competition. The defense captured the day and did so on the day’s final play by defending a passing route.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Local Owl said

He did not get accepted at any of the schools he applied to his first year. Then he hired a "company" to present his apps and he got in. I don't know how that works.
Posted On: Aug 6th 2015, 7:43 PM #346981

Hmm, I've never heard of companies or lawyers that you hire to argue for admission on your behalf. Probably for the best as otherwise medical school would be inaccessive to the Have Nots.

That said, people sometimes hire companies to proofread their essays or give them advice about what to include/remove from their application though it's wasted money because FAU - like most colleges - have resources to do that. For instance, they have the Writing Center, which will look over personal statements; the Career Center, which will look over CVs; and the Pr-Health Professions Office will do mock interviews to prepare you for the med school interview.

Just for what that's worth.
Back to the top

I said I didn't know how it works, but I know what they did and the results were positive. He was a super smart kid. Very high GPA from UCF , scored average on his MCAT, but got little to no interest. The following year , after the "company", no problem. Maybe it was pure coincidence. I happy for him that he is in.
Back to the top

"Unfortunately FAU Med doesn't find you more favorable just because you went there for undergrad. Wish it did. But if has a high GPA and MCAT he'll have as good of a shot as anyone else."

Just a point of information:  this was true under the prior admissions director, but policy has changed with the new one.  FAU graduates do receive some preferential treatment.  Everything still has to be in place, such as MCAT, SPA, shadowing, volunteer work, recommendations, research, etc.  But all things being equal, FAU will get the edge.

GO OWLS!

Back to the top

GPA not SPA
Back to the top

Attended today's practice and here is what I noticed:

1.) The coach com system employed by FAU is amazing. It blows the horn and announces what period they are going to next for practice. It was a worthy investment, because also music plays out of it as well.
2.) The tent that coach P calls club Med is a good thing. Players, units not involved in team drills or on scheduled break can go under the tent with cooling fans, and stay hydrated. This helps players stay healthy during camp.
3.) Offense looked good in 7-7, red zone drills and during 11-11. Several big plays were made Taylor Cameron, Quez, and Stoshak.
4.) Defense did show some of the inexperience such as a blunt holding call by one of our dbs during 7-7, and a late hit during 11-11. But they did show signs of flash and some signs of maturity.
5.) we now have 3 of the sky jacks or scissor lifts as some people call them to film the practices.
6.) Practice ended with 4th quarter drills. goal was for the defense to stop the offense from gaining two first downs and the goal for the offense was to get those first down. Offense won, so defensive unit had a little extra conditioning before end of practice.

That's all guys from what I observed. I probably wont be back down till game-day. Good to see Mark, Dan, and got to meet OC40 there as well.
Back to the top
Control functions: