Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 FAU Football Preseason Camp

First day in pads is a wrap, here's what Coach Roc Bellantoni had to offer afterwards:

“I think we are on the right track. I think we are getting better. Some of the young guys that we brought in are really making strides and they are able to push some of the older guys. You worry about complacency with some of the younger guys who played well last year, but I don’t see it at all. I see a lot of guys that want to be great. I’m really happy with four out of the first five practices from an effort standpoint. I think we have gotten a lot better.”

“Being our third year, being around us being comfortable with us and each other, I think that has grown a lot since we [coaching staff] got here. We have a great group of assistants on the sideline keeping those guys together, keeping their minds in it, and helping each other to be a selfless person. Helping your buddy, who is out on the field, get through it is helping all of them get through it. I’m really proud of that. I didn’t know that [that the players were celebrating on the sidelines for play on the field]. I’m so entrenched in practice, I didn’t know, but I’m glad to hear they are bonding together and celebrating for one another.”
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Did  you see the DT rotation?

Posted On: Aug 10th 2016, 1:24 PM #357604

I couldn't really see who was in the rotation, I was really focused on watching the offense. Whoever was in the rotation did a great job of defending the run. They ran more often than they passed and stopped every run for a couple yards save for the big ones I mentioned. I saw a TON of read option and the defense wasn't having it. 
Back to the top

Took a ride by practice today.  The D looked good.   IMO the secondary is way improved over 2015.  Little separation for the receivers though Nate Terry went way up on a scoring pass.  He will be tough to cover by a corner in the Red Zone where the offense really struggled last year.  He will see double coverage down there.  The sprint out passes were well covered.  The defensive pursuit closed off the field.  The O may want to put a throw-back pass in the arsenal to use the whole field and  keep the D honest.    Seems like the plan is to circle the backs over the middle, though plays to the outside were more effective.

There was not too much to say for the ground game, not much to worry about there.  We have a lot of power and speed.   Clearly the emphasis is trying to get the passing game on track.

I think this team will surprise a lot of people this year.
Back to the top

Please. For my well being. NO TRICK PLAYS !
Back to the top

The Owls held a two-a-day on Thursday…Coach Partridge's notables:

On the progression of the offense

"They have adjusted well. Like anything if you make an adjustment there is that period of transition and I’m excited about where we are. We are on the right track. We are not ready for a game yet but, we are on schedule."

On the wide receivers

"We came out of the spring with five guys that we are very excited about with four returners and redshirt freshman [Tavaris] Pico Harrison. We are also seeing some guys starting to show up here in camp also in the likes of John Mitchell and [Atonio] Hadden has had a few nice catches and there are other guys who are showing up as well. I think it will be a little bit by committee."

Back to the top

Local Owl said

Please. For my well being. NO TRICK PLAYS !
Posted On: Aug 11th 2016, 5:01 PM #357631

I don't consider a throwback screen a "trick play".  Misdirection keeps the D from over pursuing.  I saw some speed out there today with some of our backs.    If the D is going to over commit on a roll out, a reverse or throw back screen would force them to keep contain.   It's tough enough for our receivers to get separation, and using only one side of the field only packs the D in tighter.

On a positive note, I did see our qb (I want to say Driskel) on a roll out that was well covered throw the ball about 10 yards OOB.  

Back to the top

Friday's quotables from OC Travis Trickett:

“It [the offense] is about where it needs to be. We are nowhere near ready to play a game. It is where it needs to be. We are not behind. Today was a day that we thought would be a physically tough practice, consecutive days after one another and coming off two-a-days, first one they have had. Today was a mentally challenging practice for our guys which was good and they responded and there were also learning points. We just have to keep pushing [and] learning our situations. We have some young kids. They have to understand the big picture of football and living the football moment, each play at a time. I’m excited. We are right on track of where we need to be but we have to keep making progress every day and do that throughout the season. The best teams, [the teams] that end up winning are the teams that get better every week. There is no staying the same. You either get better or you get worse.”
Back to the top

Not sure what to make of comments like, "We are nowhere near ready to play a game."

It probably doesn't mean anything. It's the beginning of practice. Obviously you're talking about a machine and all the parts have to work together, each year you're trading in and out parts, and in the case of a new OC, you're essentially rebuilding the engine.

However, this is also the comment I would expect if the team was a complete disaster, our guys weren't gelling and overall would represent an ominous sign going into the season.

It would just be more comforting to hear something like, "We're doing well and just refining our technique/the little things" and hopefully that's what we hear going into the opener.
Back to the top

I agree 2DOC. Almost sounds like a person trying to convince himself that everything is OK. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it. But he just should leave it at "we are getting better every day".
Back to the top

Don't read too much into it, total coachspeak. Been listening to the camp reports on XM and they're all saying this kind of thing. "We're still going through install, seeing who will rise to the occasion and fill the open spots we have…not game ready right now" all that stuff.
Back to the top
Control functions: