Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 FAU Spring Football

Local Owl said

Georgia, true. All the colleges know that Fla is full of WR's. We need to convince a couple to stay. PB, Broward or Dade has the two we need. No need to look any farther. I know it is difficult when you are up against the big boys, but it needs to get done.

Posted On: Mar 27th 2016, 8:23 PM #355411

We do get those players to stay….
Our WR's are not a problem. Woods might be one of the most talented players on the team.
Quez was a really bad passer and Wright was a poor play caller.
Let's see what WE's do this year.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Yeah early reports seem very good. O-line solid, Trey Hendrickson hasn't lost his touch, Parr and Driskel on equal footing as of right now. What I'd like to hear, and it's still way way early, is that some of our WRs are really starting to come into their own. They need to step up and become a threat for us.

Posted On: Mar 27th 2016, 11:18 AM #355399
I expect Trey Hendrickson to pick up where he left off last year, when he had a monster season.   The kid makes plays.  Go back two years against WKU where he sealed the game with a huge sack and forced fumble, and last year the strip sack in the UF game that resulted in a TD.  I hope they can  freelance him a little.  Wouldn't surprise me if he came in on goal line offense either.

What worries me is if the offense plays fast, and fails to get 1st downs, the defense is going to get gassed.  I was very pleased to see the secondary playing tight, and not allowing separation.

I hope our new OC will use a very strong running game to grind down the opposing defense.  I'd like to see us use some motion to help get receivers off the line of scrimmage.  Like last year, we have way a lot of talent.   Enough to turn last years record all the way around.
When the passing game comes together we are going to be a tough team to beat.
Back to the top

I'm not writing them off. I said hopefully one will develop into a go to guy. Knowing what I know about last years receivers, one does not stand out as that guy. Not saying it won't happen. But there is a difference in a premier guy and a go to guy. If you have any questions, just watch UM's Bruce this season. OC is correct. Hard to judge last season when the QB was not very accurate. I hope they all prove me wrong.
Back to the top

Our top 2 QBs are pocket passers. So we need the entire receiving corps to step up big time. If we get 2 or 3 reliable, and consistent players, everything will fall in place and we're on to a 7+ game winning season.

Back to the top

From the way things have gone, including last Saturday, it looks like we will be setting up the run with the pass now, where as before it was the opposite.

60-40 mix would seem an appropriate label.
Back to the top

Rick said

From the way things have gone, including last Saturday, it looks like we will be setting up the run with the pass now, where as before it was the opposite.

60-40 mix would seem an appropriate label.
Posted On: Mar 28th 2016, 12:12 PM #355419

That is why most NFL teams do today. using the pass to set up the run.
Back to the top

And I am in no way writing our present WR's off, I wish them the very best and lot's of success. We still simply loose too much talent out of state as S. Florida is SATURATED with college scouts and recruiters and HC's skimming the cream off OUR territory!!
Back to the top

The Owls reached the half way point of their 2016 Spring Drills sessions today, here are some notables from defensive coordinator Roc Bellatoni:

On Spring Drills as a whole

“It is going pretty well. We are half way through now. We have seven practices down. I feel really encouraged about the direction we are going in. Guys are a year older. They are bigger, stronger and faster. They know our scheme better. We are able to do some different things and are able to look at some things. I’m really happy with where we are going.”

Differences between the fall and now

“It is hard to quantify. It is more of an eye test thing where you see guys doing things a little bit faster than they did maybe in the fall because they understand a little bit better. And now, we can coach them on technique.”

Session Highlights

• Kalib Woods had several big catches during seven-on-seven.
  • Andrew Soroh broke up a pass during team drills as did Hunter Snyder.

Back to the top

FAU held session eight of their 2016 Spring Drills today, here are some notables from offensive coordinator Travis Trickett:

Offensive Installation

“We have slowed down and backed off a lot so that we can make sure we understand the foundation and the fundamentals. We are going to make sure we have a good solid foundation going into fall camp and they understand the standard of how each play (needs to be run). We are not going to move on until we get what we have down.”

Session Highlights

·         Kalib Woods had a 7 yard and a 20 yard reception during team drills.
·         Greg Howell recorded a run that moved the chains and followed up with a 20-yard reception.
·         Daniel Parr hit receiver Bobby Mitchell on an out route for a first down.
·         Camden Krohn recorded an 8-yard run and Michael Francis adding a 10-yard run.
·         Jason Driskel had a 15-yard pass to Tyler Cameron for a score.
·         Daniel Parr added a 25-yard TD pass just a few plays later.

Back to the top

It must be incredibly difficult  to install a brand new offense. The pressure of knowing  there are only a certain number of practices is mind blowing. But the kids have the time after spring and before fall to study and get it down. Glad it is them and not me. It will be interesting.
Back to the top
Control functions: