Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 FAU Spring Football

FAU held session nine of their 2016 Spring Drills today, here are some notables from defensive coordinator Roc Bellatoni:

Progress Over the Spring

“I’m pretty happy. A lot happier than last spring - that is for sure. Hopefully, the guys who are going to play in the fall are here already. Now you might get some contributions from some freshmen. But, the guys who are going to play or who played last fall are getting better so I’m really happy with the way it is going. ”

Session Highlights

·         Azeez Al-Shaair came up with the first interception of the day.
·         Driskel rattled off three consecutive passes to Brunson, Henry Bussey and Tony Thomas.
·         Defensive end Winston Chastang was then credited with a sack.
·         Hunter Snyder grabbed a sack as did Josh Kendall on the following two plays.
·         Parr found Tyler Cameron during his two-minute drive and just missed a deep pass completion Bobby Mitchell.
·         Whitfield recorded his second sack of the morning.
·         Lester Thomas came up with an end zone interception which ended the day’s work for the Owls.
Back to the top

FAU held a non-contact session today, here are some notables from offensive coordinator Travis Trickett:

“We are breaking through some barriers right now mentally, which is good. We are seeing some guys turn the corner. Now we have to bring everybody else along with it…situational football. The good thing about football - you can’t cover it all in a short amount of time. We are giving them different situations which allows things to get exposed both good and bad. Again, I’m excited for what we have to work with. We have a lot of guys on the IR right now so some other guys are having to step up and make some plays. They get their opportunity and have a chance to make some plays. We are seeing what some young guys can do. I have been pleased with the effort. They are starting to mentally attack it better, in understanding what it takes from period one to period 20. I’m excited about that.”

Session Highlights

·         Jason Driskel found Henry Bussey for a gain of 20-yards
·         Jacob Douglas had a pass break-up
·         Raekwon Williams came down with the day’s first INT on a deep pass near the end zone.
·         Linebacker Jake Stewart got a sack after the QB had recovered from a high snap.   
·         Tevin Homer and an interception in the end zone

Back to the top

On offense; our backs need to catch more passes.  Last season our running backs had a total of 21 receptions.  

That number needs to more than double.  

Half of those belonged to Trey Rodriguez.  I hope he can get off suspension and come back to the team.
Back to the top

The Owls completed their 12th Spring Drill session today. Below are notables from Head Coach Charlie Partridge:

State of the Union

“We are making improvement every day. Obviously, it is the 12th practice with our new offense and we still have a lot of young players on defense. We are where we should be for April. We are not ready to play a game by any stretch but we have made significant progress in a lot of areas this spring. We still have a lot of work to do.”

On the Upcoming Red Blue Game

“Coaches say this all around the country, for us it really is a 15th practice on our way to having 44 practices before the first game. It is something where the fans get a chance to see where we are at and our kids to play in that type of atmosphere.”

Session Highlights

·         The Defense won the first three drives highlighted by Jacob Douglas' interception and Trey Hendrickson's sack.
·         Jason Driskel made a catch in the end zone on a trick play.
·         Daniel Parr found Tavaris Harrison in the back of the end zone for a score.
·         Parr also connected with senior Tony Thomas on a drill for a TD.
·         The day’s work ended with a Greg Joseph field goal.

The team will meet on both Tuesday and Thursday of the upcoming week before concluding their Spring Drill sessions with the Red Blue Game on Saturday at 1:00 PM at FAU Stadium.

The event is open to the public, with admission beginning at 12:00 PM.

Back to the top

is it 12 or 1 that the game is starting? the fau sports website has it at 1
Back to the top

As posted above, the game starts at 1:00 PM. Gates open at 12:00 PM.
Back to the top

Here is a spring football story on UM (our opponent again this year) who played a scrimmage up at Oxbridge Acadamy in West Palm Sat.;

Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya dominates again, receiver Coley injured | Miami Herald

Sure hope our D line can get after them, sounds like a good possibility. The U D will be more aggressive with Manny Diaz the DC though, they WILL BE coming after our young qb's.
Back to the top

OK. I know people are tired of baseball. Who plans on attending the spring game and what are you looking for. I will be looking for three things. 1. Do the players look like they understand the new O ?  2. I will be watching the QB's close. 3. I will be looking for new seats . I did not re-new my old seats as I will be searching high and low for shade.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Who plans on attending the spring game
Posted On: Apr 10th 2016, 7:58 PM #355660

Planning on it!

(pending a surgery)

:Straight-Face:

Back to the top

I always attend the Spring Game even though I know you can't take away too much from it.

If the offense is dominant then I worry about the defense and vice versa.

I'm looking forward to seeing Parr again as he was very impressive last time.

Not sure what we're going to see in terms of the running game since we're apparently banged up there.

As always, I'd like some surprises to emerge, especially regarding the receivers.
Back to the top
Control functions: