Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Football Fall Camp

walty12 said

Was at the scrimmage Friday.

Here is my takeaway from what I watched:

Johnson - reminds me a lot of a Jacory Harris type.  I am not sold.

Driskell - Best combination of decision making, arm, ability to move.

Parr - best arm no question.  Forces throws.  Looks like he has gained about 10-15 lbs and some poise out there.  Looks like a college QB now.

I think Driskell starting gives us the best chance to win games with the running game we should have in place.

If I am a betting man - here is my bet…Johnson never starts another game at FAU after week 6 of this season.  That being said, I hope he proves me wrong.  I just think Driskell is better than he is now and Parr will be in the future.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 9:58 AM #370083

Some hot takes there.
Ok De'Andre doesn't have to be the best QB right now to be great for FAU. He in the end is true sophomore.

Last year I didn't think Parr was D-1 QB and now he might win the starting job. Give these guys time!!!

I don't know how any watches 1 scrimmage and say 'He wont start ever!"

These scrimmages are hard when rotating QB's you have a drive with the one's and two other QB's rotate with them and you go 30-45 min before getting a drive with the same guys. Some guys need to get in the flow of the game.

Also Jacory Harris wasn't in the same universe athlete wise as De'Andre is. Will be great for FAU? IDK all I know from watching QB's is they click at different times.
Again coaches said last year Parr wasn't showing the thing he needed in order to start yet here he is after missing spring might earn this job.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

walty12 said

Parr - best arm no question.  Forces throws.  Looks like he has gained about 10-15 lbs and some poise out there.  Looks like a college QB now.

I think Driskell starting gives us the best chance to win games with the running game we should have in place.

If I am a betting man - here is my bet…Johnson never starts another game at FAU after week 6 of this season.  That being said, I hope he proves me wrong.  I just think Driskell is better than he is now and Parr will be in the future.

That Jacory Harris reference - that's pretty bad for us, if his decision making is as inconsistent as Harris's was at Miami.

I do have to say though, I'm disappointed that Kiffin hasn't sorted these issues out yet, given the work he did at Bama with three different starters, with Blake Sims, Jake Coker, and the Jalen Hurts. I was expecting to see some dramatic improvement at that position. At the same time though, Bama never has had a problem delaying in naming the starter, and it usually works out pretty well for them, since they get to see all the competitors on the field in real games, and can judge who shows up at practice and who shows up to games. I'm holding off on being too alarmed at this point, I just wish it was difficult to name the starter because they're all good, not because they through a crap load of INTs.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 10:44 AM #370089

Last year Blake Barnett and jalen hurts played the opening game. And then jalen hurts won the job after that game
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 10:47 AM #370090

Yeah, honestly, I think that Johnson will get the job eventually - being a dt qb will make a big difference in Briles offense, just like with RGIII at Baylor.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

walty12 said

That Jacory Harris reference - that's pretty bad for us, if his decision making is as inconsistent as Harris's was at Miami.

I do have to say though, I'm disappointed that Kiffin hasn't sorted these issues out yet, given the work he did at Bama with three different starters, with Blake Sims, Jake Coker, and the Jalen Hurts. I was expecting to see some dramatic improvement at that position. At the same time though, Bama never has had a problem delaying in naming the starter, and it usually works out pretty well for them, since they get to see all the competitors on the field in real games, and can judge who shows up at practice and who shows up to games. I'm holding off on being too alarmed at this point, I just wish it was difficult to name the starter because they're all good, not because they through a crap load of INTs.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 10:44 AM #370089

Last year Blake Barnett and jalen hurts played the opening game. And then jalen hurts won the job after that game
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 10:47 AM #370090
Barnett also went 5/6 for 100 yards and lost the job. It just takes real games to figure out who the guy is.

Quez Johnson couldn't beat a Greg Hankerson in the offseason and it took till the third game  of the year to take the position for the next three years. Quez was also awful in those 1st two games and ended up being a pretty good QB until injuries caught up with him. So everyone needs to chill. Like I said it takes time with QB's until one day things just click.

What you have to remember is  also right now the QB's are playing to the offence and when one emerges the staff will take their offence and call plays and game plan for that QB does well.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Some hot takes there.
Ok De'Andre doesn't have to be the best QB right now to be great for FAU. He in the end is true sophomore.

Last year I didn't think Parr was D-1 QB and now he might win the starting job. Give these guys time!!!

These scrimmages are hard when rotating QB's you have a drive with the one's and two other QB's rotate with them and you go 30-45 min before getting a drive with the same guys. Some guys need to get in the flow of the game.

Also Jacory Harris wasn't in the same universe athlete wise as De'Andre is. Will be great for FAU? IDK all I know from watching QB's is they click at different times.
Again coaches said last year Parr wasn't showing the thing he needed in order to start yet here he is after missing spring might earn this job.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 10:52 AM #370093

Watched spring game, watched scrimmage, etc.  Didn't say he wont start ever.  I think Driskell is good and I think he is ready to start and win now as a RS Junior.  We will see.  Deandre and Jacory are very similar in size.  Deandre doesn't have nearly the arm Driskell nor Parr do.  

"Give these guys time!!!" - You should be a politician.  I said this time and again over the last 2 years.  You said - "this isn't Madden, players dont just get better."

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Some hot takes there.

Watched spring game, watched scrimmage, etc.  Didn't say he wont start ever.  I think Driskell is good and I think he is ready to start and win now as a RS Junior.  We will see.  Deandre and Jacory are very similar in size.  Deandre doesn't have nearly the arm Driskell nor Parr do.  

"Give these guys time!!!" - You should be a politician.  I said this time and again over the last 2 years.  You said - "this isn't Madden, players dont just get better."

Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 11:23 AM #370098

True but QB's can. I honestly think we wont have settled started until after Bethune. Also I agree with Driskell he has show improvement's throughout his career and I think could play well.   
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Some hot takes there.

Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 11:23 AM #370098

True but QB's can. I honestly think we wont have settled started until after Bethune. Also I agree with Driskell he has show improvement's throughout his career and I think could play well.   
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 11:56 AM #370100

Agree, I think it will take 3-4 games before the picture is clear at QB.

I am just betting Johnson isn't who ends up starting when the dust settles.  From what I have seen, Driskell is better suited.

But like you said, this is just a message board and the opinion of a fan from the stands.  Obviously I could be proven dead wrong.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Good news is NAVY has no clue whom to prepare for!
Back to the top

Picking QB out of camp is hard. Sam Darnold who might be the number 1 overall pick next yea couldn't beat out Max Browne last summer in camp. When the lights come on some QB's just emerge.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

When the lights come on some QB's just emerge.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 3:23 PM #370113

They should have put lights on the practice field because we only have 11 days for someone to emerge.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Picking QB out of camp is hard. Sam Darnold who might be the number 1 overall pick next yea couldn't beat out Max Browne last summer in camp. When the lights come on some QB's just emerge.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2017, 3:23 PM #370113

Preach
Back to the top