Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Football Fall Camp

On Wednesday the Owls adjusted to a bright blue sky, no cloud coverage and the opportunity to get better on a normal South Florida day.

The defense grabbed that opportunity, forcing turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions. The offense continued to spread the ball to multiple receivers and to showcase the deep running back corps.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“(It was) a really good day by the defense, which obviously it usually means not a very good day by the offense. We have got to take care of the ball. Way too many turnovers and fumbled snaps. We are not going to beat anybody doing that stuff. I’m very disappointed in that. I expected us to be further along in decision-making and guys catching the ball better. We have a lot of work to do. The other stuff will not matter if we turn the ball over.”
Back to the top

Notables from Head Coach Lane Kiffin after today's session:

“It was a really good practice with the defense. Guys came out…we have to get a different mentality on offense. Whenever one side is good, it is a good thing. You are pleased with that.  Then, the other side we need some work on. (Jason) Driskel had an exam today. So, he wasn’t out here. It was a good opportunity for some other guys to get a shot. I thought (Daniel) Parr did some really good things today.”

On the Mentality Kiffin is looking for

“Fast, physical and finish. We are not getting that physical aspect right now even though we are not tackling. There are too many negative plays. We are going to be an explosive offense and we are making some big plays, but at the same time there are too many negative plays.”
Back to the top

The football team practiced in shorts and uppers on Friday, the final session before Saturday's at Hadley Park in Miami at 3:00PM.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“There was some better things, today, on offense…execution wasn’t perfect, but I thought they had a better mindset. A better energy about it. I thought that it is always good to have speakers like yesterday (Clinton Portis). I spoke with him last night. I thought our guys responded to that. So, it is always something you want to build on. There are a few things that you keep from that speech.”

Back to the top

FAU traveled to Miami’s Hadley Park for Saturday’s practice. The event was made possible through civic leader Luther Campbell and site commissioner member Brittney Tillis (’01-’04) who was a FAU football inaugural team member.

FAU Senior Running Back Gregory “Buddy” Howell, who had seven family members in attendance

“This is my family and the environment here, with the little kids saying they are my biggest fans is inspiring. I want to be motivation for these kids and show them that they have hope. I come from the same environment. You come in and not let them fall to the society, the hood and bad stuff that is going on around them. I want to show them that football is a way out. It was great to see my family and for them to see me doing what I love…It is just a great moment for me.”

FAU Redshirt Sophomore DeAndre Johnson on the practice

“It means a lot. Coach Kiffin is doing a great job bringing us down here and getting us involved with the community. We can build the FAU fan base up by getting to know each other and by establishing relationships. I think it is great and will help in recruiting as well. There is a lot of talent here. Who knows, maybe in the future this bond could be really strong down here.”

Event Organizer Luther Campbell on the event and what it means to the community

“It means everything to have a college football team come out here and play. We have a lot of history with this program. From the Duke Johnsons, Antonio Bryant, and Chad Ochocinco Johnson, all those kids played out here. But, we never had a college football program come out here. A DI college football program practice on our field. It was great. It was great for the community and great for the kids and everybody else.”

The Owls will return to the Tom Oxley Athletic Center practice fields on Monday.
Back to the top

Uncle Luke supporting the Owls -- great stuff, and great Dade exposure.
Back to the top

Funny what happens with time. Years ago , you wouldn't want Uncle Luke near your kids. Today, he is stepping up and doing everything he can for the kids in Miami. We need more folks like Luke. Great guy.
Back to the top

Seems like all we hear about is the struggles of the QB's in the passing game. And how good the D has been! I am all for the D being VASTLY improved from last year's under ROC's "leadership"". But to me team camp is harder of the O as the D knows our plays and players so that can anticipate much better.

Little word on the running game and THAT is what matters to the PASSING game! If we can run as well as last year we WILL be able to pass the ball, especially if we have a mobile running threat QB.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Seems like all we hear about is the struggles of the QB's in the passing game. And how good the D has been!

I just hope we're not reading about a "struggling" offense in two weeks. There's still time to get back on the bike… but not that much time.

Back to the top

What's up with Driskell? Is he hurt? In trouble? I read that he was dressed on Saturday but didn't touch a ball. I know he missed Friday due to classes but…what gives?
Back to the top

teambeer said

What's up with Driskell? Is he hurt? In trouble? I read that he was dressed on Saturday but didn't touch a ball. I know he missed Friday due to classes but…what gives?

Posted On: Aug 7th 2017, 8:54 AM #369771

Maybe he has a sore arm and they gave him Saturday off to get 2 days off in a row.  Missing a practice for a nonacademic reason isn't a big deal, missing today to, would be reason for concern.
Back to the top