Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Football Fall Camp

good news, he was back slinging the rock today at practice. Parr is getting some quality reps back there too, which is nice.
Back to the top

Don't get me wrong, it appears Driskel is getting better and should push Johnson but if anyone is thinking Driskel might start over Johnson is like thinking Matt Moore could beat out Cutler.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The football team returned to the Tom Oxley Center practice fields for Monday’s practice after making a trip to Hadley Park on Saturday. Monday’s practice included a scrimmage review session and on-field work.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“Going back to the scrimmage, I thought there were some really good things in it. I thought the guys did a good job of understanding what we wanted to get done. It was a scrimmage, but it wasn’t tackle and we came out of the scrimmage very healthy with that. I thought the defense was very physical. Hosea (Barnwell, V) played really well in there along with Azeez (Al-Shaair). Those two guys were the inside ’backers and I thought they did a really good job of being physical and playing it like a game. Guys made some really good plays in the game. DeAndre (Johnson) made some good plays. (Daniel) Parr made some really good throws and good plays. It was good. Whenever someone is down, (Jason) Driskel wasn’t able to go. He is fine now as you saw today. The next guy has got to step up. Good job by those guys. (Steven) Frank came in and did some good things too. That was really good to see."

"Today was really a very good practice. We felt good about ourselves too much. Some guys played well and today we just go through the motions. It is a challenge for all of us to hold these guys to a high standard in training camp. I’m disappointed after a day off we would come out like that but they are teaching moments.”
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Don't get me wrong, it appears Driskel is getting better and should push Johnson but if anyone is thinking Driskel might start over Johnson is like thinking Matt Moore could beat out Cutler.
Posted On: Aug 7th 2017, 6:00 PM #369775

I'm happy to see Driskel improving year-over-year, Parr too, but we know Johnson is Kiffin's guy. He is creating a "competition", not just for QB, but every position. Perception is everything, and if Johnson perceives that Driskel and/or Parr can steal some time and reps from him - it is only going to make our offense better. Given the opportunity, I believe Johnson and Driskel could lead this offense tomorrow.
Back to the top

StPeteOwl said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Aug 7th 2017, 6:00 PM #369775
I'm happy to see Driskel improving year-over-year, Parr too, but we know Johnson is Kiffin's guy. He is creating a "competition", not just for QB, but every position. Perception is everything, and if Johnson perceives that Driskel and/or Parr can steal some time and reps from him - it is only going to make our offense better. Given the opportunity, I believe Johnson and Driskel could lead this offense tomorrow.

Posted On: Aug 7th 2017, 8:51 PM #369777

Well not exactly, Johnson was signed before Kiffin was hired.  So Johnson is NOT Kiffin's guy. But I do agree that if one QB is pulling ahead Kiffin will talk the other guys up to keep the heat on the front runner.
Back to the top

The Owls had a back-and-forth practice on Tuesday that saw positive plays on both sides and culminated in a long successful drive for the offense.

Tuesday also saw a reunion of sorts as Brittany Wagner, former academic advisor from East Mississippi Community College, was on hand to see some of her student-athletes that have made their way to Boca Raton, including newcomers DeAndre Johnson and Tim Bonner, as well as former EMCC and FAU quarterback Jaquez Johnson, who now works in the Owls’ academic department.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“(Today) was a physical, long practice, some good and some bad. I thought the offense really had some good stuff early on, some big explosive plays, then kind of faded. Then the defense did well, and the offense finished good there coming out (from their own end zone). They actually had a 26-play drive, I didn’t think that was possible to do, but it was good to see guys push through and try to make things more difficult.”
Back to the top

"They actually had a 26-play drive, I didn’t think that was possible to do, but it was good to see guys push through and try to make things more difficult.” 3 yards and pile of dust O? OLD SCHOOL. OR overcoming plenty of O penalties. HA HA!

Back to the top

The football team went through a “really good” practice Wednesday, as the squad heads into the final half of this week of preseason camp.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“I thought it was a really good practice for the most part, a lot of really good things as far as energy and the offense making a bunch of plays. We didn’t finish very well in situations there … but there were good plays by the defense. But for the most part, a good practice, and we’ll just keep pushing along.”

The Owls will be back on the field at 8:50 a.m. Thursday.
Back to the top

FAU football went through the paces on Thursday afternoon after a South Florida downpour pushed back the regularly scheduled morning practice.

Though the first half of the early afternoon session still saw a steady rain, big plays were turned in late on both sides of the ball. Running backs “Buddy” Gregory Howell, Jr. (from close in) and Marcus Clark (on a long run, untouched) each found the end zone.

The defense, more specifically Herb Miller, exacted revenge, with two interceptions – and nearly a third – by the junior defensive back.

Receivers DeAndre McNeal and Denzel Houston each hauled in long passes, and for all intents and purposes, practice ended on a sack from freshman defensive lineman DaiKwon Fuse.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“I thought our guys did a good job today of changing schedules, which is really what football does during the game. Because of the weather, we pushed it back, luckily the weather cooperated, so we could get a full practice in, which was good. Guys had good energy. Again, we have to learn from situations and master situations. We continue to put them in different ones in the two-minute drill.”
Back to the top

I personally think it'd be a good idea to practice during a light rainy period (assuming there's no lightning). We have to be able to perform under these conditions. We can't let weather delays defeat us every year.
Back to the top