Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Spring Game Thread

Add topic

One thing new I also noticed yesterday at the game was this tent that has been on the sidelines at a lot of schools last season. It is a area where the players and training staff go to do the concussion protocol, so that is kind of neat.
Back to the top

I also liked the set up for new season ticket sales. I saw a few potential customers being showed around by ticket reps. I thought it was a successful spring game. Good crowd,good game, happy fans,cold beer, lots of optimism.
Back to the top

"Good crowd,good game, happy fans,cold beer, lots of optimism."

ALL good things! And we get a decent winning season then next year maybe 4-5K at spring game. Do it again and then maybe 5-10K! THAT would be awesome in S. Florida IMHO!

Coach K coming into a hard sell with the 10 years of mostly bad football (not winning!) and so we are in the show me state with FAU football. Lots of broken promises and watching teams we have beaten badly recover and excel (WKU, USF, S. Miss.) while we DON'T.

I am SO looking forward to the 24 new players coming in for the fall, especially the JUCOS and 4* guys - gonna get real interesting what THESE coaches do with THAT talent in CUSA!
Back to the top

A couple thoughts/observations:

1) So glad the Spring Game was yesterday and not today - this rain is serious business and fragmented Boca Bash attendance which was supposed to take place on Lake Boca today. The weather was actually perfect for the Spring Game yesterday.

2) I get that people think Lane Kiffin's look is lazy vs being "head coach-like" but it made a ton of sense to me. He has to spend several hours in the elements. I've seen too many games where people (with all due respect to them) like Partridge get their pants soaked in the rain or people like Schnellenberger in full-on suits in the 90 degree sun and that never made sense to me. Visor to keep the sun out of your face, light jacket for the rain, shorts to keep cool.

3) Any media argument comparing Alabama's Spring Game attendance to FAU's Spring Game attendance is far too stupid to be taken seriously. Context is always important and everybody is just using this to ding Kiffin again, like it's his fault FAU only experienced the largest crowd ever for a Spring Game but still didn't fill out the stadium. As an FAU fan who has been coming to these things for a decade, we did really well yesterday.

4) Mostly came to see the hype about DeAndre Johnson, who ironically seemed to have the worst game of all the quarterbacks (including some of the ones you'll never heard of, like Trent Wessel). However, since the QBs were off-limits for tackling there were plays he probably would have made in a real game scenario. Driskel obviously had a very good day and Frank proved he is a solid back-up to Driskel. So we're in good shape at the QB position, despite some overthrowing yesterday.

5) RBs very good and I agree with oc40 that they will probably carry this team to a number of wins next year if we pound the rock enough. O-line still a concern but what else is new. Receivers, particularly in the first quarter, were dropping sure passes, but calmed down in the 2nd Q. If that continues they're going to need to let the RBs carry us through the first quarter of a real game until the receivers can calm down and catch passes.

6) D-line dominated the O-line. Rashad Smith and this walk-on Barnwell had very good days. Defensive coverage looked tighter than it had in the past, guys were "flying to the ball" like they used to. Run defense seemed pretty stout; even guys like Singletary and Howell who are clearly talented enough to bust out big gains didn't break free for 40 or 50 yard touchdowns. The defense on the sidelines looked super pumped-up, always cheering for stops and big plays. After last year's embarrassing loss to MTSU, a stout defense is definitely needed and I'm optimistic.

7) Last but not least, this Wilson Love guy (strength & conditioning coach, right?) is everything he's been made out to be. He's so energetic, yelling, running, doing jumping jacks on the sidelines while the play is getting set-up. What a great addition to the team.
Back to the top

TEAM ENERGY is what is needed, I have come to a home game every year in the stadium and we always seemed to lack TEAM ENERGY even coming on the field prior to the game. THESE COACHES WILL GET THEM PUMPED - ESPECIALLY ON THE D SIDE!

BEAT NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

I can read the summary of the spring game on these posts, but let me ask: Did they did it look different. Was there a difference in the whole game? Energy, execution, speed, accuracy, determination, tackling, etc? Did anyone see an improvement in the overall game on both sides?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I can read the summary of the spring game on these posts, but let me ask: Did they did it look different. Was there a difference in the whole game? Energy, execution, speed, accuracy, determination, tackling, etc? Did anyone see an improvement in the overall game on both sides?
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2017, 1:41 PM #368493

Great questions and I totally agree on wanting to know these x factors.

I'd say hard to tell yesterday, in regards to some of the things we saw last season (fourth quarter drop off, losing after a weather delay while having the lead, etc).

L Kiffin seemed to observe, Briles seemed to be pumped.

Spring game - hard to read some of these questions.
Back to the top

@Illinios….the hurry up O was way more organized and quick. Little confusion. I saw the biggest difference on D. Like Doc previously posted, for the first time in a while, our D backs were covering tight . Deflecting passes. And the safeties and LB's were making sound tackles. Al-Shire looks huge on the side lines .If we can field a decent O-line, we should be able to win enough games to be bowl eligible. Our D will not give games away next season. I also think Young was out yesterday also. Our kids are growing up.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Does it look like a whole different team?

Defensively, yes.

Someone who knows defense is finally running the show there. Kiffin talked about the D being a concern early on and the great turnaround they've made since the beginning of camp. Coverage is better. Tackling is better. Pass rush is better. And of course several interceptions.

Offensively, no.

As we said, O line still breaking down, QBs about as accurate as before (eyeballing it; I haven't compared the stats), receivers dropping passes early on (but improving). Running game still very productive. Sound familiar?

From an energy standpoint: Defense was riled up. Offense was flat. Explains the scoreboard. The offense has got to match the defense's excitement and determination in order to right the boat. But again, they have all Fall Camp to find that passion again.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

illinoisowl said

Does it look like a whole different team?

Defensively, yes.

Someone who knows defense is finally running the show there. Kiffin talked about the D being a concern early on and the great turnaround they've made since the beginning of camp. Coverage is better. Tackling is better. Pass rush is better. And of course several interceptions.

Offensively, no.

As we said, O line still breaking down, QBs about as accurate as before (eyeballing it; I haven't compared the stats), receivers dropping passes early on (but improving). Running game still very productive. Sound familiar?

From an energy standpoint: Defense was riled up. Offense was flat. Explains the scoreboard. The offense has got to match the defense's excitement and determination in order to right the boat. But again, they have all Fall Camp to find that passion again.
Posted On: Apr 23rd 2017, 3:35 PM #368497

AND fit in the new studs.

I am gonna assume the D line not to be quite as good as yest showed just because of the O line injuries. But they too get some new studs on the D line - depth there WILL NOT be a problem.

Well maybe at DT being undersized. But I have seen several teams go with a basically 4 DE look and just outquick the BIG OL's, shooting gaps and making tackles IN THE BACKFIELD REPEATEDLY! Putting them in passing situations where the advantage then goes to US! That may not be the case with Navy so much as their line is not that huge like Wisconsin who will be huge up front.
Back to the top
Control functions: