Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 FAU Spring Football

Add topic

faufan300 said

This Spring game was by far one of the cleanest and well coached games that I have seen. Both Agner and Tronti reminded me of Driskell and his smooth operation of the offensive system.  The Defense looks way better,  hungrier and the schemes seem to fit the athletes that we have.  I believe this year our defense will be one of our strengths as we will be able to get needed stops.  Spencer has a lot of experience and this unit looks like they are already on the same page.  The problem with the O is even if we run the system Driskell thrived in we don’t have motor.  The Jet sweep with Willie right should be eliminated from the play book.  We need consistency and the wins will show up. Some players need to step up like Bryant who for sure will get draft notoriety.  Last year was a missed chance because we were not disciplined,  but I see a solid 6 wins right now if the defense make the stops and I like 9 wins if the offense gets the ball rolling.  Robison creates a problem with us moving forward.  No doubt if he gets his act together his talent can really  help but who knows.  
Posted On: Apr 13th 2019, 7:04 PM #385905

Willie sweep is potentially setting up a big play late in games? Just a thought. Not a fan of the play either but may be a distraction
Back to the top

StPeteOwl said

faufan300 said

This Spring game was by far one of the cleanest and well coached games that I have seen. Both Agner and Tronti reminded me of Driskell and his smooth operation of the offensive system.  The Defense looks way better,  hungrier and the schemes seem to fit the athletes that we have.  I believe this year our defense will be one of our strengths as we will be able to get needed stops.  Spencer has a lot of experience and this unit looks like they are already on the same page.  The problem with the O is even if we run the system Driskell thrived in we don’t have motor.  The Jet sweep with Willie right should be eliminated from the play book.  We need consistency and the wins will show up. Some players need to step up like Bryant who for sure will get draft notoriety.  Last year was a missed chance because we were not disciplined,  but I see a solid 6 wins right now if the defense make the stops and I like 9 wins if the offense gets the ball rolling.  Robison creates a problem with us moving forward.  No doubt if he gets his act together his talent can really  help but who knows.  
Posted On: Apr 13th 2019, 7:04 PM #385905

Willie sweep is potentially setting up a big play late in games? Just a thought. Not a fan of the play either but may be a distraction
Posted On: Apr 15th 2019, 6:18 PM #385969

I could list dozens of time that play has worked over the last two years.

You do not get rid of bread a butter play that has a history of success because our WRs don't block it.

Back to the top

Agreed! Do not get rid of it but use it more judiciously (only vs. certain D's), and maybe even with other receivers to make it less predictable!
Back to the top

I have seen holding calls on way too high of a percentage  of that play. Our o will need to find out what works and keep doing it. This will be Charlies year to prove he is a genius.  
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I have seen holding calls on way too high of a percentage  of that play. Our o will need to find out what works and keep doing it. This will be Charlies year to prove he is a genius.  
Posted On: Apr 16th 2019, 1:17 PM #385972

Lane Calls plays.

He did in 2017, 2018 and will this year.
Back to the top

Plays are ran for many reasons…some to keep the defense honest.  Some  to play to strengths (or weaknesses) of your offense.  Some to set up a different play that series or maybe even later in the game.  

Think of it like boxing.  There are faints and check punches thrown.  Not all are intended to knock the opponent out nor do they score every time its thrown.  It's a chess match.

Lastly, remember just because we ran something that didn't work last year doesn't mean you stop.  It means hopefully we have the coaching and players trained and skillful enough this coming year to execute it.  Our offensive line from a run blocking perspective wasn't very good last year guys.  It caused a ton of our issues.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I still think that o line last year was a very good pass blocking line. The team could’ve won at least 8 games. In fact Riles actually was a serviceable pass blocker. The line was good enough that Robison could’ve thrown for 4,000 yards if he had receivers. One thing that worries me, and there are several, is that game after game Robison had all day, great time provided by his blockers but no one could get open. You’d almost have to try to not get open with the pass blocking we had which was solid. That to me means that the receiving corps is just atrocious. if The other receivers were any good that would’ve opened up Durante more and we would’ve been deadly. As it is, plays like the one to Willie didn’t work Bc the O line couldn’t pave the way for no one. Among bad replacements, you have to count Diaz. And he plays at such an important position that he could cost us games 
Back to the top

The FAU football team took to the practice field Tuesday morning for the first of their final three practices of the 2019 spring.

The day was filled with individual work with a mindset of correcting mistakes made in Saturday’s Spring Game, and repeating positives that also came out of last Saturday’s game.

Running Back BJ Emmons

“It was a tough one (speaking about Tuesday’s practice),” said Emmons. “We have two more practices to go. The main focus is finishing up this week strong. We have two more opportunities to grow as a team.”

Tight End John Raine

What did you see from the quarterbacks on Saturday?

“I saw a lot of great things from both of them…both continue to work and they will be happy for each other whatever happens.”

Practice Notables

· Defense dominated the early part of the first team session, but the offense came on late

· Offensive highlights include: redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Tronti finding senior tight end John Raine for a completion and redshirt junior Chauncey Mason splitting the defense for a long run

· Junior quarterback Justin Agner had a long run of his own after finding a seam in the defense on an option keeper

· In the second team session, Tronti broke out of the pocket and connected with redshirt sophomore Jordan Merrell for a long completion

· Agner completed a long TD pass to Mason

· Senior defensive lineman Charles Cameron had a “sack” of Tronti

· Junior cornerback Diashun Moss broke up what would have been a catch by redshirt junior running back James Charles

· Tronti found redshirt sophomore Brandon Robinson to end the second team session

· Senior linebacker Rashad Smith made a sliding interception to end the two-minute drill

SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top

The Florida Atlantic University football team held their final practice of the 2019 spring on Thursday and the Owls have just one event remaining prior to their spring semester final exams, a Saturday scrimmage.

The Owls practiced in shorts and held to their full Thursday practice schedule, taking advantage of yet another uncommonly pleasant spring day with sporadic cloud cover, temperature in the low 80’s and a slight breeze.

While the practice seemed longer than normal, the Owls moved through several team sessions focusing on situations. There was success on both sides of the ball, but the loudest celebrations were on the defensive side of the ball.

Defensive End David Belvin III on how his spring has gone

“Excellent to be honest. It was just really good. The have me playing LEO. I have dropped a couple of pounds. I’m down to about 235 so I feel a lot faster out there. I really like the new format of the defense.”

Ray Ellis on being the upperclassman

“I learned to follow first. I have learned from Brandin Bryant (’12-’15), Trevon Coley (’12-’15), Trey Hendrickson (’13-’16). I saw what they did and try to emulate that for the younger guys so that they can just keep using that moving forward so the next generation that comes in get the same thing I got.”

Ellis on playing for new defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer

“I like it. I like him a lot. Everything is fast, I like him a lot. He tries to keep us accountable. I think this defense will be really good this year.”

Practice Notables

· First team session focused on the run game where redshirt sophomore Daniel Leconte had a good run

· The passing session saw junior quarterback Justin Agner find redshirt sophomore Brandon Robinson, and redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Tronti connected with redshirt sophomore Dave Richards during 7-on-7

· Turning back to team drills, Robison was a target of Tronti, as was redshirt sophomore Jordan Merrell

· The defense got into the act with redshirt junior safety Jordan Helm coming away with an interception, a defensive hold on third and long and redshirt junior Korel Smith batting down the first of his two pass breakups on the day

· From the five-yard line, Agner found both tight ends, Harrison Bryant and John Raine, in the end zone while redshirt junior James Charles took a direct snap and scored. Also, both BJ Emmons and Chauncey Mason used their legs to score

· First and goal saw Tronti keep one, Leconte run one in and Bryant added another. The defensive line broke up an attempt and junior Hosea Barnwell V stopped another

· The final session saw the defense with two big stops, while freshman defensive back Dwight Toombs knocked down another

The team will then hold its final scrimmage game of the spring at 12:30 PM Saturday, April 20th. That session will be closed.

SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top

The FAU football team gathered on Schnellenberger Field for the last practice of the 2019 spring on Saturday afternoon.

With a mindset of improving the defense and replacing those lost on both sides of the ball, to graduation or the impending NFL draft, the Owls held nearly a two-hour scrimmage.

Coach Lane Kiffin

“Ending of the spring, as we discussed, obviously (was) a little bit different with the Saturdays being flipped, but at the end of the day they are all scrimmages. So, it is almost the same."

"Defense had really good energy today. Kinda fed off where they have been ever since the first scrimmage. As you guys know, there is always bad and good to these things. One side does good, means the other side is not doing as well. It was good defensively. We are really down receivers number-wise, and backs, but especially receivers, so it makes it a little bit harder on the quarterbacks.”

Session Notables

· Junior linebacker Akileis Leroy got the ball rolling for the defense by batting down a pass that had just left the quarterback’s hands

· Redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Tronti connected with junior tight end John Raine for a score and redshirt sophomore Vladimir Rivas made good on the extra point

· The second team defense fed off the first team’s energy by forcing a three-and-out by the second team offense

·  Continuing with the defensive highlights, senior defensive tackle William Davis recovered a fumble and returned it 10 yards and sophomore Cecil Rolle, Jr. recorded a sack

· Junior receiver Willie Wright was part of a reverse that gained a first down and shortly thereafter the offense started to build some momentum

· Senior quarterback Trent Wessell hit newcomer junior wide receiver D’Angelo Eiland over the middle with a 50-yard strike and Wessell went to Eiland again for the score. Christian Hoyos made good on the first of his two extra point attempts of the day

· Redshirt freshman quarterback Cordel Littlejohn lead a scoring drive that concluded with redshirt junior James Charles punching it in

· Tronti found junior Sean Wiggs for a big gain but his drive was interrupted with a fully-extended leaping interception by redshirt freshman Armani Adams, the first of two he would tally on the day. His second was in the end zone to deny a score

· Redshirt sophomore running back Daniel Leconte had a big day showing his speed by breaking through the traffic and then outrunning the defense for a 60-yard score

· Hoyos’ workday was not limited to extra point attempts. He also attempted and made a field goal of nearly 50 yards and his second long attempt of 50 was on target, but just short

SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top
Control functions: