Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 FAU Spring Football

Add topic

FAU football donned their gear and practiced for the first time in 2019 in FAU Stadium, Saturday.

The team ran approximately 40 first half scrimmage plays, rotating through the two-deep, while getting the newest members of the coaching staff accumulated to the stadium and working together on headsets.

Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“The first scrimmage of the spring or fall are usually defensively led,” said Kiffin. “I thought the offense did a good job early on, especially. We were able to run the ball and the quarterbacks made some plays. Really, all four quarterbacks made some plays at times. That was good to see. Too many penalties, especially on defense. Too many big plays. At the same time too, you aren’t able to sack the quarterback and there are some variables in that that would have helped them.”

Notables

· Redshirt sophomore running back Daniel Leconte had a strong day throughout the scrimmage, but opened his day with a 60-yard run

· Newcomer Justin Agner, a junior quarterback from Fort Scott Community College, who joined the Owls in January, showed off his arm with passes to receiver John Mitchell, a redshirt junior for 15 yards, and to Brandon Robinson, a redshirt sophomore. Agner lead the team on multiple scoring drives

· Leconte was just one of several backs to have strong runs, including Malcolm Davidson a sophomore, who also recorded several receptions, James Charles, a redshirt junior and junior newcomer BJ Emmons, who punched in the day’s first touchdown

· Senior tight ends John Raine and Harrison Bryant each scored and each turned in what has now become expected consistent performances, but there also were several plays made by the younger tight ends, including redshirt freshman Shane Ellis

· The second half saw back-to-back explosive plays, the first a 75-yard TD run by redshirt sophomore quarterback Nick Tronti and on the next drive a Tronti pass to senior receiver Jefftey Joseph, who also finished the play 75-yards later. It was the second big play of the day for Joseph

· The Owls kicking game got in some work making good on the attempted field goals and extra points. FAU also executed two-point conversions, seeing one pass batted down by junior safety Zyon Gilbert

· The quarterbacks were off limits, but that didn’t stop the Owls’ defense from forcing turnovers, including an interception by senior corner Chris Tooley

The team will return to the field this Tuesday, April 2 at 9:30 AM. Practices are closed to the general public.

- FAU SID Katrina McCormack
Back to the top

Tronti with a 75 yard TD run, no way! That’s awesome. How about, this guy is our starter and we show Robison the way to junior college
Back to the top

I'm impressed that we ended up with 2QBs getting 3 TDs each. It's hard to judge our performance so early in the year but either our defense is really struggling or our offense is firing on all cylinders. I'm really hoping its the latter.
But my gut feeling is the defense install is still incomplete.

Something interesting that I've noticed is that we had a contact scrimmage so early into spring practice this year. Kiffin in the past has usually restricted that severely (usually practice 12-13) due to worries about depth. And even our past spring games, he only had contact the first half of the spring-game. I wonder if the change is because of our tackling issues last year and our huge talent influx this summer.

Either way i'm actually excited about this season. I thought it was going to be a rebuilding year but we have the pieces to quickly run the table after dropping Ohio State.
Back to the top

The defense worries me. We lost a lot on that side of the ball and learning a third system in three years just seems like a recipe for disaster. I’m optimistic on Tronti’s potential. Maybe it’s time to move on from the head case that is Robison but not trying to put a whole lot of faith in a RS FR QB after last yr. I don’t think we will run the table after the OSU game but we can get to 7-5 at best given the state of the conference and an easier schedule. This team is a huge question mark really don’t know what to expect
Back to the top

Another bright note is the comment about Davidson catching several balls out of the backfield.  Not just good news about him specifically, but RBs catching passes against LBs is something that generally means good things for an offense.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Another bright note is the comment about Davidson catching several balls out of the backfield.  Not just good news about him specifically, but RBs catching passes against LBs is something that generally means good things for an offense.
Posted On: Mar 31st 2019, 1:17 PM #385757

Agreed! NEVER understood why we did not get the ball to motor on swing passes and screens  A LOT ,ore the way he makes people miss! Or to Whyte with his speed!!!Our O was very ODD last year IMHO!
Back to the top

1. Let's not throw away a four-star QB with three years left who has not committed a serious crime because Tronti ran 75 yards when QB's cannot be touched. Tronti is talented and will get a lot of reps to improve and prove himself, but you're kidding yourself If you do not think CR will be competing for that spot in the fall.

2. D will fine this year. We lost a lot, but if you think about it the guys behind them played a lot as the D improved throughout the year. Leroy played a lot when Azeez went down, Jalen was hurt most of the year and the safeties rotated, Shelton Lewis lost his starting job to Pierre a few games in, Korel Smith was starting at nickel over Miller, and Noah Jefferson emerged and should fill in nicely as a replacement for Legget. Tim Boner and McCarthy need to take another step for us to dominate.

3. As for throwing to the backs, those things were not Motor's and Whyte's strengths combined (remember a Motor dropped screen vs MTSU that I could have scored on?) it also is not a huge part of the Baylor style offense and tough to work in during the season. With the WR situation being what it is I would guess they will work that more in the scheme.
Back to the top

Believe the d will benefit from the "simpler" scheme that will take advantage of athleticism, and take the need to have an on the field tutor tell then where to be in the wrinkle...
Back to the top

I guess Kiffin keeps such a tight ship that no one knows why Robison got suspended (Again). I’ve been one of this kids biggest defenders but this is pretty pathetic. Imagine you’re one of the young guys having a great spring but all anyone wants to talk about is Robison. Meanwhile, I’ve listened to interviews with Tronti and he seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders. I want him to show us why he was Mr. Florida.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I guess Kiffin keeps such a tight ship that no one knows why Robison got suspended (Again). I’ve been one of this kids biggest defenders but this is pretty pathetic. Imagine you’re one of the young guys having a great spring but all anyone wants to talk about is Robison. Meanwhile, I’ve listened to interviews with Tronti and he seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders. I want him to show us why he was Mr. Florida.
Posted On: Apr 1st 2019, 3:30 PM #385771
People know, but it's not clear enough to report.
It's not like there is a police report.
Back to the top
Control functions: