Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 FAU Spring Football

Add topic

You know more about the team than i. The one worry some part of your post is OL.. I'm old school, but this translates  to today. The one weakness on a team that you can't hide is a weak OL.. a good OL makes everybody look good. Time will tell. I'm not saying they are not good. I'm saying one or two problems and we will be scrambling. . Like lawowl, I'll be cheering them on. My lack of knowledge has me apprehensive. I hope they surprise  me.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

You know more about the team than i. The one worry some part of your post is OL.. I'm old school, but this translates  to today. The one weakness on a team that you can't hide is a weak OL.. a good OL makes everybody look good. Time will tell. I'm not saying they are not good. I'm saying one or two problems and we will be scrambling. . Like lawowl, I'll be cheering them on. My lack of knowledge has me apprehensive. I hope they surprise  me.
Posted On: Apr 12th 2019, 5:57 AM #385877

Correct.  Our offense could not go fast last year because we were stuffed so much (105th in stuff rate)

We have 3 more wins if we could simply convert 3rd and under 3 a few more times.

To me, the running game comes down to how much Nick Weber and BJ Etienne improve. Etienne started 11 games last year and Webber 1 I believe but saw a lot more playing time. They are both RS Sophomores and a nice jump should be expected.
Back to the top

I’m cautiously optimistic about the o line this season. Obviously things are looking up at G with Ettiene (who I thought showed flashes) and Weber. The thing that has me concerned, and which was Really surprising to me was how Diaz didn’t seem to gel with the rest of the OL and wasn’t a great replacement for Pierre. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I’m cautiously optimistic about the o line this season. Obviously things are looking up at G with Ettiene (who I thought showed flashes) and Weber. The thing that has me concerned, and which was Really surprising to me was how Diaz didn’t seem to gel with the rest of the OL and wasn’t a great replacement for Pierre. 
Posted On: Apr 12th 2019, 5:44 PM #385880

Pierre?

Woods was the center in 2017.

Diaz is smart and gets them set, but he is not a dominate blocker.
Back to the top

I had checked out emotionally as a fan after 2005, when we had that huge game against Oklahoma State at what’s now Hard Rock, and I was so excited it was on espn or espn2. And we lost 23-3. Later that year which we finished 1-11 I believe. We lost a game 3-0 in ot. Those bodybag games to comeweren’t nearly as painful for me as maybe others. But even though I’d checked out I checked the score every game. And in 2016 I remember we averaged like 40 ppg the last 4 or 5 games. And that’s why I don’t give Briles too much credit. The offense was rolling in late 2016, Motor averaged 6 a carry. So we know his ypc drop off wasn’t Bc of no Briles Bc Briles wasn’t there in 2016. It’s the o line from 16’-17’ that was the key. Those guys are legends. Personally I hope someone like tarrick Thomas give Diaz some serious competition this fall. I’m not impressed. Tarrick Thomas maybe.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Personally I hope someone like tarrick Thomas give Diaz some serious competition this fall. I’m not impressed. Tarrick Thomas maybe.
Posted On: Apr 13th 2019, 12:07 AM #385891

Tarrick Thomas isn't on the team anymore…working for NW Mutual and will graduate in May. 
Back to the top

Well the offense has a long way to go. Defense looks great and extremely fast
Back to the top

Here’s my take: Tronti looked like the better QB. Good size can run and smart with the ball unlike bad tats and worse dance moves. He made key reads and would have had a better outing without all those drops. Speaking of which, we need help at WR desperately! John Mitchell had two big drops that could have been scores. Harrison Bryant might be our best WR lol. And coaches, PLEASE STOP with the jet sweep to Willie Wright! It got stuffed every time. The Defense looked good. I think we have some playmakers in Smith, Leroy, Ross and Pierre. The D seems to be playing hungry with a chip on their shoulder that was missing last year. And I know it’s only spring and there wasn’t much pressure but the kicking game and punting game looked really good hopefully we see a jump from Riella and Rivas this yr
Back to the top

I thought we had a very good spring game. VERY VERY few penalties on both sides of the ball. I think last year there was just tons and tons of penalties. Kicking looked so much better. We even got a few field goals too.

WR unit is pretty worrisome but I think we might have some immediate impacts in the upcoming class like in Cameron Wynn. Overall I think we looked better on the field today than the last two spring games. Offense and Defense made their plays at times and Tronti and Agner both seem good
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Here’s my take: Tronti looked like the better QB. Good size can run and smart with the ball unlike bad tats and worse dance moves. He made key reads and would have had a better outing without all those drops. Speaking of which, we need help at WR desperately! John Mitchell had two big drops that could have been scores. Harrison Bryant might be our best WR lol. And coaches, PLEASE STOP with the jet sweep to Willie Wright! It got stuffed every time. The Defense looked good. I think we have some playmakers in Smith, Leroy, Ross and Pierre. The D seems to be playing hungry with a chip on their shoulder that was missing last year. And I know it’s only spring and there wasn’t much pressure but the kicking game and punting game looked really good hopefully we see a jump from Riella and Rivas this yr
Posted On: Apr 13th 2019, 4:56 PM #385897

I agree with everything that except for the Jet sweep thing.

Our D sees it 100 times a week they tend to key on it in these practices.

Also, we are fast! Our D is doing a great job covering sideline to sideline. Leroy is a one-man wrecking crew.

Love how they are getting Raine involved more in the passing game, you have to figure teams will double and even triple Harrison.

Back to the top
Control functions: