Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Head Coach Candidates to Replace Kiffin

Rick said

BTW, no way on any of the above…

No way.

Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 2:18 PM #391627

:Laughing: I said they were just the names off the top of my head.
Back to the top

Some other interesting names mentioned in a new article in The Athletic:

Eddie Gran - Seems like he's almost always mentioned in connection to FAU, perhaps now he gets a serious look.

Jedd Fisch - Was OC at UM and with the Jaguars.  Lots of NFL experience and he is said to be looking for a HC job.

Billy Gonzales - UF co-OC, although the article points out he's never called plays.

Steve Spurrier Jr. - Washington St. WR coach who apparently has been tied to the USF opening.  Obviously has Florida connections.

Butch Jones - Currently at Bama.  said to be looking for a HC job.

Roger Harriott - Called a wildcard in the article because of his ties to the area and his experience at FAU.  He would certainly be bold choice.

The article also mentions Briles, but notes he hasn't worked at FAU since Brian White arrived.
Back to the top

Sober Sark is toward the top of my short list. Either Clemson OC would be nice as well.
Back to the top

OwlBadger said

Sober Sark is toward the top of my short list. Either Clemson OC would be nice as well.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 11:31 PM #391746

I’d go down the former USC HC and Bama OC rabbit hole again
Back to the top

So now that coach is gone, who goes with?

Wilson
Charlie
Kevin
Clint

Personally, I would want all 4 to stay. Do we take a chance and make Glenn the HC and bring in a young rising star DC? Glenn could be had relatively cheap and the buyout money could be used for pay raises.

My biggest concern would be if charlie is ready to be on his own…… and there's only one way to find out.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

Bring in a new O minded HC (Gran is my preference, GREAT recruiter too!) but KEEP Spenser and give him a BIG BIG raise!!!!
Back to the top

Whoever Kiffin wants to take is gone period.  Unless we do something crazy like make Spencer HC I think most if not all are gone.  The new coach wants to bring in his people whoever that ends up being.  I just hope it’s quick.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Whoever Kiffin wants to take is gone period.  Unless we do something crazy like make Spencer HC I think most if not all are gone.  The new coach wants to bring in his people whoever that ends up being.  I just hope it’s quick.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 8:15 AM #391754

If we keep Spencer as HC, I would hope he would keep who he could or wanted. It’s not like the new coach has a bunch of rebuilding to do. I think I would be a little concerned if the new coach came in and fired everyone for his “guys”.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

cbboarder said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 8:15 AM #391754

If we keep Spencer as HC, I would hope he would keep who he could or wanted. It’s not like the new coach has a bunch of rebuilding to do. I think I would be a little concerned if the new coach came in and fired everyone for his “guys”.

Go Owls!
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 8:30 AM #391756

That’s the business they’re in and they all know that.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Didn’t Chris Kiffin come off his show clause this month?  Don’t know if he wants to leave San Fran - especially to go back to Ole Miss.  But if Lane’s plan was to take Briles as his OC and Chris as his DC that would give us a fighting chance to keep some of our coaches.

The reality is an SEC school can probably pay somebody like Weiss Jr more to be a position coach than FAU can as the OC.  So I agree that what happens depends as much on who Lane wants to take as it does who the school goes after.

Would they consider Briles?  Would he take that over being the OC at a P5 school?  Interesting that he is not a solid possibility on these lists.  Not having the direct connection with White has to be the primary reason.

What is also scary is these other P5 jobs are getting filled, so some attractive G5 jobs are also going to be available and compete with us.  Memphis will be open, there has been talk about App State’s coach moving up, Fickle at Cincy always is in consideration at places, USF was already open, etc.  So we need to move pretty fast because of recruiting and because of the competition that could be on the horizon. 
Back to the top
Control functions: