Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Head Coach Candidates to Replace Kiffin

I don't want to sound petty but I'm not sure if Kiffin plans to take much of this staff with him. He is going to have a big budget to play around with and he likes "splashy" names as we know. I think maybe Weiss Jr getting "demoted" to position coach but probably getting a big raise, and then Wilson will both be heading to Ole Miss.

I'll bet Smith will be highly coveted but I'd really like to see him stay. He has a great background (conference USA legend/ NFL vet) and seems to recruit and coach running backs really well.
Back to the top

Another name I've seen kicked around this morning on Twitter by Jake Elman is Doug Socha, HC at Keiser.  The idea is that he's very popular in recruiting this area.  I can't possibly see him as a fit for this job though.  We went down the "good recruiter" path already with Charlie Partridge.  If this was FAU pre-Kiffin, maybe, but with the recent success, the stadium, and the $80 million football facility about to open, we need to be aiming much higher for this next coach than the coach of an NAIA program.  It's too big a leap.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Another name I've seen kicked around this morning on Twitter by Jake Elman is Doug Socha, HC at Keiser.  The idea is that he's very popular in recruiting this area.  I can't possibly see him as a fit for this job though.  We went down the "good recruiter" path already with Charlie Partridge.  If this was FAU pre-Kiffin, maybe, but with the recent success, the stadium, and the $80 million football facility about to open, we need to be aiming much higher for this next coach than the coach of an NAIA program.  It's too big a leap.  
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 10:49 AM #391774

It’s an absolute joke to even bring up his name. 
Back to the top

All due respect to Elman, but he’s a college kid who covers HS football.  Brian White does not move in local HS football coaching circles.  He’s got way bigger plans than the head coach at Keiser.
Back to the top

dore95 said

All due respect to Elman, but he’s a college kid who covers HS football.  Brian White does not move in local HS football coaching circles.  He’s got way bigger plans than the head coach at Keiser.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:02 AM #391777

*college graduate. Proud class of 2019 graduate, thank you. 

Socha is a long-shot. I said as much in my list. What I tweeted was I expect plenty of local people to endorse him. I would not immediately rule him out if he’s interested, though. He’s been on FBS and NFL staffs, great recruiter and he sells locally. 

I don’t think the hire needs to be a splash, Lane-like name. I think that was the exception. If they go for a former head coach with a lot of national recognition, Strong or Taggart makes sense. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

dore95 said

And I’ve been covering FAU in some capacity since 2016. And I cover preps. And I cover Dolphins, spring training … whatever I’m asked to. I’m not sure why the “he covers HS football” dig was there when my main beat has been FAU since the spring of ‘17. 

Back to the top

JakeElman said

dore95 said

Socha is a long-shot. I said as much in my list. What I tweeted was I expect plenty of local people to endorse him. I would not immediately rule him out if he’s interested, though. He’s been on FBS and NFL staffs, great recruiter and he sells locally. 

I don’t think the hire needs to be a splash, Lane-like name. I think that was the exception. If they go for a former head coach with a lot of national recognition, Strong or Taggart makes sense. 
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:23 AM #391778

Nobody they hire will make a Kiffin-like splash, but I do think they need someone with a lot of FBS experience, either as a coordinator or HC.  I think either Taggart or Strong would do well in CUSA.  I would hope they are aiming for that level of coach.
Back to the top

Just say NO to Taggart. 

N-O. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

JakeElman said

dore95 said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:23 AM #391778

Nobody they hire will make a Kiffin-like splash, but I do think they need someone with a lot of FBS experience, either as a coordinator or HC.  I think either Taggart or Strong would do well in CUSA.  I would hope they are aiming for that level of coach.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:34 AM #391781

I agree the most realistic route is a lot of FBS experience. Someone like Eddie Gran, who The Athletic reported could be an option. His resume speaks for itself. 

Back to the top

Rick said

Just say NO to Taggart. 

N-O. 
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:36 AM #391782

This.

Add Shannon, Coley, Gran, and Butch Jones to the NO list.
Back to the top
Control functions: