Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

5* Auburn OL Calvin Ashley Announces Transfer to FAU

Did he ever get the NCAA waiver to play this year or is that a BIG factor in going to FCS FAMU?
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Boy was I wrong  :Laughing:  But seriously, this is why we do whatever we can to move to the AAC. These kinds of kids we have to take chances on when if we were in a better conference not so much. It's ok. If he actually started for us I was fully expecting a 2018 RG performance out of him. Now we can actually have  Marquice Robinson, a redshirt freshmen, be the starter. I also noticed there's a Redshirt Junior Center on the team named Jake Jones. I wouldn't mind if he gets some serious playing time
Posted On: Aug 13th 2019, 11:24 PM #387565

Going to the AAC doesn’t really change the type of player we get.
Those teams take a ton of transfers. Just look at USF.

Also Jake Jones is a walk on and in 3 years has seen playing time in 2 games. He has also been out this entire fall camp.
Junior Diaz might be the most important player on the roster right now. 
Back to the top

I agree the the conference thing and the statement about Diaz. Lane needs to be grooming next year's center now. I also agree with lgf2017's statement about his expectations for the Auburn transfer. No body knows how these guys will play.  Im more of a fan of developing our young guys
Back to the top

JGF - I admire your enthusiasm and the place you feel FAU fits (or deserves to fit) in college football.  But honest question - outside of a single glorious season what would be a reasonable justification for the Owls to automagically be positioned for a jump to a bigger/better conference?  This has been in other threads, but until FAU starts routinely winning CUSA, plays and wins bowl games every year, averages near sellouts every home game, plays some of the “big boys” at least competitively, from an athletic performance and financial perspective the other conferences aren’t going to be lining up to take in most CUSA programs.

FAU is doing great things to position themselves with football - the new facilities, the coach, etc.  Boca is a fabulous location, with good weather and a growing school.  But we are coming off a losing season and have the same 2-year record as FIU (who went to a bowl both years).  And a conference jump means you need better facilities for all your programs, meaning a better/bigger basketball arena, baseball stadium, etc.

I know your retort will be about me not actually being an alum, but even the other guys on here have said the same things, and that the focus should be on becoming the star of CUSA first.  If FAU goes on a run and wins 9+ games a year and plays in a bunch of bowls and becomes more nationally recognizable (think Boise State), then the program will get and retain more highly recruited prospects and be courted for bigger and better things.  I agree with Shane - being in the AAF right now I don’t think would make a huge difference with Ashley.

So for now, let’s concentrate on getting consistently good where we are at.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

JGF - I admire your enthusiasm and the place you feel FAU fits (or deserves to fit) in college football.  But honest question - outside of a single glorious season what would be a reasonable justification for the Owls to automagically be positioned for a jump to a bigger/better conference?  This has been in other threads, but until FAU starts routinely winning CUSA, plays and wins bowl games every year, averages near sellouts every home game, plays some of the “big boys” at least competitively, from an athletic performance and financial perspective the other conferences aren’t going to be lining up to take in most CUSA programs.

FAU is doing great things to position themselves with football - the new facilities, the coach, etc.  Boca is a fabulous location, with good weather and a growing school.  But we are coming off a losing season and have the same 2-year record as FIU (who went to a bowl both years).  And a conference jump means you need better facilities for all your programs, meaning a better/bigger basketball arena, baseball stadium, etc.

I know your retort will be about me not actually being an alum, but even the other guys on here have said the same things, and that the focus should be on becoming the star of CUSA first.  If FAU goes on a run and wins 9+ games a year and plays in a bunch of bowls and becomes more nationally recognizable (think Boise State), then the program will get and retain more highly recruited prospects and be courted for bigger and better things.  I agree with Shane - being in the AAF right now I don’t think would make a huge difference with Ashley.

So for now, let’s concentrate on getting consistently good where we are at.
Posted On: Aug 14th 2019, 7:38 AM #387569

I have said this many times before and will say it again; the main thing that makes us desirable to a conference is do we add revenue to a TV deal or we are replacing something they lost. 
Weather, location, wins vs P5 etc all hell create fans, but until we start averaging more than 15k a game and get 8-10 wins over 5-7 year period we won’t be desirable. 
Conferences want to know you can make money long term. A hot coach or a few upsets mean nothing if you can’t bring in the doe. 

Just look the AAC lost UConn and decided it’s best not to add another school because they see it as one less school they have split the pie with.

Just think the presidents and AD’s of every AAC school discussing FAU, where they would each have to give up around 500k of TV revenue to share with FAU, and decide it’s worth it because we have nice weather……

Back to the top

I also want to push back on Boca being a great location.

I have always defended this city, but after hearing that they have done nothing to advance the 20th street development and has little to no desire to move forward-it makes me wonder if the city even cares. 

Boca loves to talk about having college, but when it comes tine to support the students and grow the city with the university they do nothing.
Instead of developing a slow isolated street with businesses that cater to younger people they worry about about a few drunk college students disturbing a few home owners who decided to buy half mile away from 30k student university. 
Back to the top

I agree that the 20th street nightlife project That would help us grow a lot and it’s debastating it hasn’t happened. Hopefully it actually happens one day. 
To answer the question, I think we need to become a tv draw. Let’s say we win 8-10 games this year maybe more and have a shot at the top 25. That could get us on espn with the USF game. I can’t stress enough how important it is for us to beat ucf and USF the next 2 years. Ucf might be a little tough but USF next year should be easier. I really think that if we win 1 of those games,there will be articles written about us possibly moving up conferences. Once that happens it’ll only be a matter of time. Does the school to the south have to make the jump with us, it’s ok 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I agree that the 20th street nightlife project That would help us grow a lot and it’s debastating it hasn’t happened. Hopefully it actually happens one day. 
To answer the question, I think we need to become a tv draw. Let’s say we win 8-10 games this year maybe more and have a shot at the top 25. That could get us on espn with the USF game. I can’t stress enough how important it is for us to beat ucf and USF the next 2 years. Ucf might be a little tough but USF next year should be easier. I really think that if we win 1 of those games,there will be articles written about us possibly moving up conferences. Once that happens it’ll only be a matter of time. Does the school to the south have to make the jump with us, it’s ok 
Posted On: Aug 14th 2019, 8:50 AM #387572
0.0 chance FAU and USF play on one of top ESPN networks.
I can’t remember the last time two G5 schools played a Saturday game on ESPN or ESPN.  Also, when it’s out of conference it goes by the homes team conferences TV deal so CBB sports would get first crack over ESPN for that game. If they don’t want it would be put on ESPN plus. 
Beating an instate school is great for fans and recruiting, but us beating a USF team isn’t going to get people writing articles.   
Even beating UCF wouldn’t move the needle, and would just leave the P5 world laughing at UCF.

The only way we move up is if USF and UCF leave the AAC and that’s not happening anytime soon. 
Back to the top
Control functions: