Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Any news on Kiffin getting at least a raise for winning the conference?

I've been waiting patiently to see if we have compensated Coach Kiffin for getting us our first CUSA championship but I have not seen or heard of anything.  I was hoping my fellow owls have something good to tell me.  I hope he doesn't think we are trying to jip him!!

Go owls!!!
Back to the top

He gets incentives but that is still TBD with the outcome not solidified as of yet.

Of course after next Tuesday it will be!
Back to the top

After the season, for sure… He's brought in too much money not to
Back to the top

I read somewhere that all the publicity that he got us through his features on ESPN, local TV, internet etc etc… was worth over 12M to the university…. amazing… all for basically just being himself with no other cost besides his salary…. he deserves a raise for sure.  Maybe enough to make him stick around for an extra year or 2… 

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

Raise or not, Rick is eluding to already stipulated incentives in his current contract for division champ, conference champ, and hopefully bowl champ.  I don't think anybody was able to decipher what those are from what was posted, but he is going to get a nice bonus for performance that will push him closer to what he was making as OC at Alabama.

Then I would also think a revised or extended contract has to be in the works.  If we are smart, we will tack years on and revise the buyout to align with the number of years in the contract.
Back to the top

I am a owl said

I read somewhere that all the publicity that he got us through his features on ESPN, local TV, internet etc etc… was worth over 12M to the university…. amazing… all for basically just being himself with no other cost besides his salary…. he deserves a raise for sure.  Maybe enough to make him stick around for an extra year or 2… 
Posted On: Dec 12th 2017, 10:45 AM #375251

I think that what's happened is that everyone knows the name Florida Atlantic, and throughout the country and the world, we will always be a household name from here on out. I don't think there's a dollar sign that can be quantified, it's literally made FAU well known throughout the nation. If we get another couple of years of Coach Kiffin, it'll only make us more popular.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I am a owl said

I think that what's happened is that everyone knows the name Florida Atlantic, and throughout the country and the world, we will always be a household name from here on out. I don't think there's a dollar sign that can be quantified, it's literally made FAU well known throughout the nation. If we get another couple of years of Coach Kiffin, it'll only make us more popular.
Posted On: Dec 12th 2017, 1:53 PM #375255

No you have to keep winning or you can fall off as fast as you rose up.

Remember NIU had a Heisman finalist QB and played in the OB against FSU? 
What are they now? Their fans where talking big east and big 12 at the time they were class of the Mac and could bring a Chicago market to another conference and they had a solid Florida Recruiting footprint.

Well the have been a above avG since then and around 11k fans per game this year.

Well they have been 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

jgf2017 said

I am a owl said

Posted On: Dec 12th 2017, 1:53 PM #375255

No you have to keep winning or you can fall off as fast as you rose up.

Remember NIU had a Heisman finalist QB and played in the OB against FSU? 
What are they now? Their fans where talking big east and big 12 at the time they were class of the Mac and could bring a Chicago market to another conference and they had a solid Florida Recruiting footprint.

Well the have been a above avG since then and around 11k fans per game this year.

Well they have been 
Posted On: Dec 12th 2017, 6:20 PM #375258

NIU was more than a one and done. From 2010 to 2014 they went 57-13 and had five straight seasons with 11 or more wins. To your point, they have fallen off, but man, what a run. Imagine FAU stringing together five seasons like this one.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Before this season, no one thought we could've been a perennial top 25 team. That was a pipe dream. Now we have a chance to achieve that these next few seasons. There's a real possibility that we end the season in the top 25 of the coaches poll. We could realistically be better than USF and UCF the next few seasons. Before the season, I didn't think we had any chance to be in the top 25 in the short term. So, even if it's just short term, and yes they're in the AAC, but the tables have turned on the field.
Back to the top

We're getting really off-track here.

I was going to post a similar topic and wondered if FAU still feels the pressure to renegotiate Kiffin's contract if the major P5 head jobs are no longer a threat (unless something else opens up after the bowl games)

If you're FAU you could argue that, while he deserves praise and compensation for his incredible first season, there were bonuses built into his contract to reward him for what he's done already that he will receive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see FAU give Kiffin a "more respectable" base of $2-3M/yr but I have no idea if that's financially feasible. It might be if we went back to our old tactic of playing 3-4 body bag games a year at $1M each (and that would directly go to his salary) but not sure how Chun and Kelly feel about it.

Briles' contract needs to be re-upped though, per The Other Site.
Back to the top
Control functions: