Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are you worried about Kiffin leaving?

Like others have said - moving on is inevitable unless you are one of a handful of programs in the entire country.  What has not been mentioned in the thought of more conference realignment.  I don't know how much this would matter, but what if this staff stays, we win this season and next, and then an opportunity to move "up" comes along for FAU?  The problem will be that "up" would still only be to somewhere like the AAC that wouldn't come with very realistic shots at big bowl games or playoff appearances whenever (assuming) the field gets expanded.  That probably doesn't keep a Lane Kiffen, but could be beneficial in keeping Briles or attracting a different pool of candidates whenever the next search has to happen.

Head football coaches will always be thinking about their career and what the next challenge is out there.  I think Lane wants to find the "right" challenge, which probably keeps him with us through next season.  At some point, the opportunity to make way more money and to get back into the limelight to prove people wrong will be too much to resist.  He would quickly tire of going to the St Pete or Bahamas Bowl every year no matter how comfortable it might become.

But football-wise FAU is a whole lot better off for however long they have this staff.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Like others have said - moving on is inevitable unless you are one of a handful of programs in the entire country.  What has not been mentioned in the thought of more conference realignment.  I don't know how much this would matter, but what if this staff stays, we win this season and next, and then an opportunity to move "up" comes along for FAU?  The problem will be that "up" would still only be to somewhere like the AAC that wouldn't come with very realistic shots at big bowl games or playoff appearances whenever (assuming) the field gets expanded.  That probably doesn't keep a Lane Kiffen, but could be beneficial in keeping Briles or attracting a different pool of candidates whenever the next search has to happen.

Head football coaches will always be thinking about their career and what the next challenge is out there.  I think Lane wants to find the "right" challenge, which probably keeps him with us through next season.  At some point, the opportunity to make way more money and to get back into the limelight to prove people wrong will be too much to resist.  He would quickly tire of going to the St Pete or Bahamas Bowl every year no matter how comfortable it might become.

But football-wise FAU is a whole lot better off for however long they have this staff.
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 12:28 PM #372597

That is fun to think but don't forget that our program hasn't had a winning season in 10 years.  There are other programs that have demonstrated much more success than we have period so unfortunately I believe we will be here for a while.  Hopefully this will be one of those milestone points in FAU history where we can look back, like other programs do, and see how one coach can truly make an impact of the future of not just a football program, but an institution as well.
Back to the top

Rich Rodriguez was just fired, so Kiffin could be a perfect fit for Zona, especially with part of his staff already there with a jump start on recruiting.
Back to the top

Poor garin Justice 
Back to the top

Have we filled his position yet?  If not, come on back Garin.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Rich Rodriguez was just fired, so Kiffin could be a perfect fit for Zona, especially with part of his staff already there with a jump start on recruiting.
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2018, 10:32 PM #376061

Early reports are that U of A are going to make a push to land Sumlin, looks like another round of holding our breath, hopefully the new 10 year contract that we still don't know the details off ( buyout included ) keeps them away…
Back to the top

Owls2010 said

David Slavic said

Early reports are that U of A are going to make a push to land Sumlin, looks like another round of holding our breath, hopefully the new 10 year contract that we still don't know the details off ( buyout included ) keeps them away…
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 10:18 AM #376064

Our measly buyout doesn't scare them.  They were paying Rich Rod $6m per year!

This one makes me nervous.  Arizona would be a good fit for Kiffen IMO.  Good weather, close to Cali, spread players already in place, huge salary, etc.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Owls2010 said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 10:18 AM #376064

Our measly buyout doesn't scare them.  They were paying Rich Rod $6m per year!

This one makes me nervous.  Arizona would be a good fit for Kiffen IMO.  Good weather, close to Cali, spread players already in place, huge salary, etc.  

Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 11:04 AM #376065

I agree, however Sumlin has a solid history of recruiting AZ and TX where the Wildcats pull most of their players from.  We'll see, although if we were to lose Kiffin this would be the absolute worst time….
Back to the top

Honestly, if we lose Kiffin we should make a run at Sumlin for a season. The remainder of his contract is guaranteed within 60 days of his firing. So he could get an additional million for a year of coaching, and winning a conference championship. 
Back to the top

Bruce Feldman and Adam Rittenberg doesn’t seem to think he is candidate. Not to worried about it at this point. Plus you have to deal with higher academics at Arizona 
Back to the top
Control functions: