Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are you worried about Kiffin leaving?

DeltAlumnus said

Bruce Feldman and Adam Rittenberg doesn’t seem to think he is candidate. Not to worried about it at this point. Plus you have to deal with higher academics at Arizona 
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 11:46 AM #376069

I have to disagree with you on the academics. 

Not everything is current but,
University of Arizona:
2015 acceptance rate: 76%

FTIC GPA 2014 3.37

FAU is not inferior academically. The university has a poor six year graduation rate, low alumni giving and a poor retention rate. Those are the biggest reasons for a lower UNWR rank. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

As others stated, the buyout is insignificant to these P5 schools.  Arizona fired RichRod because of "other stuff" they didn't like - the allegations against him were dropped.  They are going to pay him something like $5.4M this year to NOT coach them so they can go get somebody else.

Sumlin, Butch Jones, and Kiffin are the names I have heard on the radio and seen in articles.  Others are showing up in some of the coverage, but those three have been in everything I have seen.

As for the contract, has ANYBODY heard any actual particulars?  Have contracts been altered for the other coaches (like Briles)?  I don't think any of us are naive to think Kiffin is here for more than another season (2 at the absolute most), so we need the program to be positioned to adjust and move forward when he leaves.  We need back-up plans to our back-up plans.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

DeltAlumnus said

Bruce Feldman and Adam Rittenberg doesn’t seem to think he is candidate. Not to worried about it at this point. Plus you have to deal with higher academics at Arizona 
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 11:46 AM #376069

I have to disagree with you on the academics. 

Not everything is current but,
University of Arizona:
2015 acceptance rate: 76%

FTIC GPA 2014 3.37

FAU is not inferior academically. The university has a poor six year graduation rate, low alumni giving and a poor retention rate. Those are the biggest reasons for a lower UNWR rank. 
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 12:27 PM #376071

I think we will see a huge boost in alumni giving and freshman retention rate this year due to the Kiffin effect. We have a long ways to go, but I can see is hitting the top 200 colleges on USNEWS by 2020 if we keep improving.

6 year grad rate needs to go up 20% before people take us seriously
Back to the top

owlsdad said

As others stated, the buyout is insignificant to these P5 schools.  Arizona fired RichRod because of "other stuff" they didn't like - the allegations against him were dropped.  They are going to pay him something like $5.4M this year to NOT coach them so they can go get somebody else.

Sumlin, Butch Jones, and Kiffin are the names I have heard on the radio and seen in articles.  Others are showing up in some of the coverage, but those three have been in everything I have seen.

As for the contract, has ANYBODY heard any actual particulars?  Have contracts been altered for the other coaches (like Briles)?  I don't think any of us are naive to think Kiffin is here for more than another season (2 at the absolute most), so we need the program to be positioned to adjust and move forward when he leaves.  We need back-up plans to our back-up plans.
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 1:05 PM #376072

The 10 year contract is for the same money. And as for Coach Briles, once January 1 came his contract for renewed for one more year. That contract will save us at least $500,000 bc the buyout will remain the same. I just want one more year of this. Early indications are Arizona is looking for someone else.
Back to the top

"This one makes me nervous.  Arizona would be a good fit for Kiffen IMO.  Good weather, close to Cali, spread players already in place, huge salary, etc."

"Arizona fired RichRod because of "other stuff" they didn't like"

The second quote is why the first quote is not an issue, they are firing a guy with non Coaching issues and would never take a chance at this point IMHO!
Back to the top

But MOST IMPORTANTLY - GET COACH JUSTICE BACK - what bad timing for a good guy!

Get him some more $$$ and get him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

I pray that we do not lose Kiffin but if we happen to see him leave I am all for promoting coach Briles.  I honestly think AD's are afraid of any backlash for at least another year or two he might actually take the job knowing that he may not find a better position elsewhere in the mean time.

Go owls!!
Back to the top

The thing is, if Kiffen leaves and takes Chris and Kendal, They are all going to make much more money. Just like Garren. I don't know the numbers , buy this is PAC 10 money. Be ready for anything to happen.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

The thing is, if Kiffen leaves and takes Chris and Kendal, They are all going to make much more money. Just like Garren. I don't know the numbers , buy this is PAC 10 money. Be ready for anything to happen.
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2018, 4:10 PM #376081

I don't think Chris is going anywhere for 3 years….
Back to the top

Kiffin just signed a 10 year contract and people are worried about him skipping town for Arizona? His name will be thrown at every HC opening because it will always get people talking. This past carousel there were highly sought after HC openings with TAMU, UF, FSU, Nebraska, UCLA, etc and no reported contact with Kiffin and any of these jobs. Kiffin's a good coach and will definitely get poached eventually but its not going to be by a mid to bottom tier P5 team
Back to the top
Control functions: