Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

As Florida Atlantic readies for Boca Raton Bowl, ticket sales heat up

Rick said

walty12 said

Im still beside myself on the CUSA championship game attendance.

I remember better attendance for the D-IAA playoff games we had in 2004 or whatever it was.

Dissapointing to say the least.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 11:02 AM #375267
Social media and everything being broadcast has effected attendance, IMHO.

There was no twitter in 2004, I just look at the participation we get here, same principal.

Used to, you had to come here for the conversations, rumors, and information.

Now you can just sit on people's accounts who spoon feed you what color socks the players are wearing. The university has an account for every single department, event, happening, and even livestock - it's almost laughable, but at the same time good.

Anyway, same principal, you can watch the game, see all of the highlights instantly, don't have to leave your couch or step in some 50 yard old drunken imbecile's urine stream after a 5-10 minute wait.

Don't get me wrong, because we tweet, but the digestion of the experience has certainly shifted from in person practice to star trek style real-time console feed.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 1:48 PM #375270
I guess so.

Problem was attendance wasn't 10% less than what I thought which is what your point of view would justify.  

It was 50% less than I anticipated.  

There were MAYBE 8k butts in seats.  Maybe.

Which cements my opinion on its not only about winning...you have to be playing a formidable opponent that people want to see.

I dont buy for a second that this bowl game is selling tickets.  No common college football fans care to see the Zips play.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Here's to hoping that fans ARE curious to see the FAU Owls Lane Train in person and a 10 win team in a local Bowl game gives them another opportunity if they have not already.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

walty12 said

Im still beside myself on the CUSA championship game attendance.

I remember better attendance for the D-IAA playoff games we had in 2004 or whatever it was.

Dissapointing to say the least.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 11:02 AM #375267
Social media and everything being broadcast has effected attendance, IMHO.

There was no twitter in 2004, I just look at the participation we get here, same principal.

Used to, you had to come here for the conversations, rumors, and information.

Now you can just sit on people's accounts who spoon feed you what color socks the players are wearing. The university has an account for every single department, event, happening, and even livestock - it's almost laughable, but at the same time good.

Anyway, same principal, you can watch the game, see all of the highlights instantly, don't have to leave your couch or step in some 50 yard old drunken imbecile's urine stream after a 5-10 minute wait.

Don't get me wrong, because we tweet, but the digestion of the experience has certainly shifted from in person practice to star trek style real-time console feed.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 1:48 PM #375270
I guess so.

Problem was attendance wasn't 10% less than what I thought which is what your point of view would justify.  

It was 50% less than I anticipated.  

There were MAYBE 8k butts in seats.  Maybe.

Which cements my opinion on its not only about winning...you have to be playing a formidable opponent that people want to see.

I dont buy for a second that this bowl game is selling tickets.  No common college football fans care to see the Zips play.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 2:34 PM #375272

I think the opponent is the best way to get people in the stands, and our attendance records actually back that up.

If I were to guess there will be announced crowd in the 25K range, but half that in the seats. There will be lots of empty seats from sponsor bought tickets that are never filled.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Here's to hoping that fans ARE curious to see the FAU Owls Lane Train in person and a 10 win team in a local Bowl game gives them another opportunity if they have not already.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 2:56 PM #375273

The key word here is FAU "fans" which I do not think we have many. The market share just isn't there.

Again we have only had full undergrad since 1988 and really only a few years of grads who have had close to a real college experience.

FAU is fighting to get people from the community with no direct ties to the school to become hardcore fans. These people might come have a nice time at a couple games, but are not going out of there way. If they graduated from UF they are probably not going to come when UF has a big game. The avg Boca family is not going to miss their kids soccer game to make our 3:30 game.

It's great when we sell 30 season tickets to Joe's random Boca Bussiness, but people who work there do not have a real investment in the school or the team so they do not go unless the game fits them perfectly with the schedule, weather, opponent etc. UM depends on these fans and unless they are playing ND, 8-0, and the game is at 3:30 or 8 they do not fill.

FAU's biggest push of tickets and fans should be pointed at young alum who are more likely die-hard fans and bring other with them.

So for the C-USA champ game, most FAU fans were there it's all the others who did not see a noon game vs a team we had beaten by 40 as entertainment enough to show up.
Back to the top

I tend to struggle using the search functionality here, and I know I saw some of this back when I first joined - so sorry as I know this is in a thread that I am failing to find.  What do our future football schedules look like?  I know we have Oklahoma to open next year, and that we have upcoming series with USF and UCF.  But who all else do we have OOC in the next 3 or so years?  Any openings?  Anybody (like Bethune) we could pay-off to back out and then play somebody else?

It is great playing Wisconsin and Oklahoma, but we need series where we get "named" schools coming to Boca.  As others have said, games against Navy and Miami were near if not sell-outs.  Scheduling is hard to do on short-notice unless you have teams backing out.  We need to get some of these type games scheduled now because if we do continue as "Atlantic Rising" people will not want to schedule us or certainly won't want to come to Boca if we start getting top-25 love.  So getting those games and signing as long a term series as we can would be great.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I tend to struggle using the search functionality here, and I know I saw some of this back when I first joined - so sorry as I know this is in a thread that I am failing to find.  What do our future football schedules look like?  I know we have Oklahoma to open next year, and that we have upcoming series with USF and UCF.  But who all else do we have OOC in the next 3 or so years?  Any openings?  Anybody (like Bethune) we could pay-off to back out and then play somebody else?

It is great playing Wisconsin and Oklahoma, but we need series where we get "named" schools coming to Boca.  As others have said, games against Navy and Miami were near if not sell-outs.  Scheduling is hard to do on short-notice unless you have teams backing out.  We need to get some of these type games scheduled now because if we do continue as "Atlantic Rising" people will not want to schedule us or certainly won't want to come to Boca if we start getting top-25 love.  So getting those games and signing as long a term series as we can would be great.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 3:55 PM #375277

Florida Atlantic Owls Football Schedules and Future Schedules - FAU

This is a good resource for future schedules
Back to the top

I am happy that FAU will be playing University of Illinois in Champaig in 2020. Its an hour dive. As bad as UI is sometimes this could be another victory against a Big 10 team. FAU probably could have beaten UI this year. FAU probably could have beaten UI in a number of prior years.

FAU in the past played Illinois State up here, An hour away. And Eastern Illinois, An hour away. I went to both games.
The Eastern Illinois game featured QB Tony Romo.  

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I got a call today from FIU wanting to know if I needed tickets to their bowl game.  I have been receiving a couple of emails every year from them since I bought tickets through their office for an FAU-FIU game.  Somehow, I don't think that this same activity is taking place for random ticket buyers to the FAU home games from 3-4 years ago, or even to Alumni of FAU.  So there is that.

I have no idea how effective that effort is for them, but their persistence and consistency is impressive and those are essential elements to an effective sales program.
Back to the top

bb said

I got a call today from FIU wanting to know if I needed tickets to their bowl game.  I have been receiving a couple of emails every year from them since I bought tickets through their office for an FAU-FIU game.  Somehow, I don't think that this same activity is taking place for random ticket buyers to the FAU home games from 3-4 years ago, or even to Alumni of FAU.  So there is that.

I have no idea how effective that effort is for them, but their persistence and consistency is impressive and those are essential elements to an effective sales program.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 4:30 PM #375281

I get the same fiu emails and calls because I went to a Shula Bowl down there a few years back.

Unfortunately, I agree that FAU does not do the same. I am a season ticket holder and got no call about the conference championship nor the bowl game. Kind of sad to be honest.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Me either, even though I am up in Georgia, they SHOULD be asking!!!! Any word on a watch party up here in the ATL?
Back to the top
Control functions: