Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

As Florida Atlantic readies for Boca Raton Bowl, ticket sales heat up

Back to the top

Great to hear, I hope it is a full stadium to see the FAU Owls Lane Train!!! That would excite our players!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Great to hear, I hope it is a full stadium to see the FAU Owls Lane Train!!! That would excite our players!!!!
Posted On: Dec 8th 2017, 8:11 PM #375170

Unfortunately, here is how Bowl games work: Corporate sales skyrocket.  Businesses like car dealerships buy lots of tickets…the businesses give out free tickets to their customers, like people who purchase cars. None of those people care about going but they take the free tickets and don't show up.  

You then have a "sold out' Bowl game with no one in the stands.

Back to the top

Good point. Didn't think about that.

Could probably find the annual Athletics Budget presentation to the BOT to see what percentage of overall sales is corporate tickets - I believe that's one of the categories in the breakdown.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Good point. Didn't think about that.

Could probably find the annual Athletics Budget presentation to the BOT to see what percentage of overall sales is corporate tickets - I believe that's one of the categories in the breakdown.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2017, 8:31 PM #375177

But those numbers reflect FAU events. The Bowl game is not a FAU event. Different scenario.  We do not control the bowl game. We rent our stadium out.  
Back to the top

fauowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Unfortunately, here is how Bowl games work: Corporate sales skyrocket.  Businesses like car dealerships buy lots of tickets…the businesses give out free tickets to their customers, like people who purchase cars. None of those people care about going but they take the free tickets and don't show up.  

Posted On: Dec 9th 2017, 7:54 PM #375175

Good points but here's to hoping that many DO use those tickets to see the FAU Lane Train roll over and through (literally) Akron and grab some newfound support for next year!
Back to the top

fauowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Dec 9th 2017, 7:54 PM #375175

Mark, what time can I swing by your corporation for 12 free tickets?  I'd like to buy more foam fingers.
Back to the top

I bought tickets through the FAU ticket office to ensure that I got part of our allotment.  I e-mailed them today because online the tickets still say general admission.  Michelle sent me back a note with the seats I was actually given and they are BETTER than my season tickets (I normally sit in 207 and I have seats in 206 that will be around the 45 yard line).

Always hard to tell how many seats are available, and like others have said an announced attendance of 25k will be well short of that regarding butts in seats.  But I am hoping for a good showing from the FAU fan base - it will be a shame if the turnout is like the C-USA championship.
Back to the top

Im still beside myself on the CUSA championship game attendance.

I remember better attendance for the D-IAA playoff games we had in 2004 or whatever it was.

Dissapointing to say the least.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Im still beside myself on the CUSA championship game attendance.

I remember better attendance for the D-IAA playoff games we had in 2004 or whatever it was.

Dissapointing to say the least.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2017, 11:02 AM #375267

Social media and everything being broadcast has effected attendance, IMHO.

There was no twitter in 2004, I just look at the participation we get here, same principal.

Used to, you had to come here for the conversations, rumors, and information.

Now you can just sit on people's accounts who spoon feed you what color socks the players are wearing. The university has an account for every single department, event, happening, and even livestock - it's almost laughable, but at the same time good.

Anyway, same principal, you can watch the game, see all of the highlights instantly, don't have to leave your couch or step in some 50 yard old drunken imbecile's urine stream after a 5-10 minute wait.

Don't get me wrong, because we tweet, but the digestion of the experience has certainly shifted from in person practice to star trek style real-time console feed.
Back to the top
Control functions: