Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Atlantic Owls

Atlantic Owls

Have we ever considered going by simply 'Atlantic' for athletics.  Just wondering, seems like if California State University, Fresno can go by Fresno we should be able to go by simply 'Atlantic' on the news ticker and as a short athletic nickname.

'The Atlantic Owls will be going up against the Wyoming Cowboys today'

This of course allows traditions more associated with the ocean and would avoid the annoying and counterproductive association with FIU.
The one word association instantly lends a sort of legitimacy that the 3 letter school often cannot get.  On this note, ULL and ULM need to work things out so that ULL can be simply Louisiana (already known as Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns) and ULM can be Monroe

'Atlantic won two bowls in a row, FIU has lost 1000 consecutive games.' instead of 'oh FAU, you guys got in that fight with Miami right?'

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Atlantic Owls

It has been discussed in the past Bytor or Rick can probably find it. I remember when it was going around in the bottom ten with the F_U thing was used reguler basis. I kind of like it "Atlantic University".
Back to the top

I'm not saying we should change our name as a University….just have an athletics nickname of Atlantic so that we show up as Atlantic on the ticker at the bottom of ESPN instead of FLA ATL, which to most people means absolutely nothing.

We will still be Florida Atlantic University, but when commentators talk about us, they will simply call us the Atlantic Owls, and we will show up on scoreboards as Atlantic.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I think that will generate more confusion. Instead of confusing us with FIU, they'll think we're Atlantic University instead of Florida Atlantic University.
Back to the top

Maybe it would grow on me in time, but my first reaction is that it sounds awkward.  Things like that don't usually start with a concerted effort to make it so.  It starts with a few fans, and then a few more.  If you want to try it out, try it with your friends at the games, see if it catches on.

I think the FAU/FIU confusion will start to work itself out as the programs separate.  Right now, to somebody in Idaho, we look and sound alike, but that won't last forever.  Yeah, I don't like "FLA ATL" either – would much rather see just "FAU" on the scroll.
Back to the top

Well I think there is somewhat of confusion at FAU itself.  We prefer to go by Florida Atlantic for Athletics, but then at other times it seems like FAU is used.

As far as being confused with Atlantic University, that school is not regionally accredited (not a real school) with 250 students, and no athletic program.

I think that Atlantic would have more of a memorable impact on the score ticker than FAU….either way FLA ATL needs to stop being used.

Back to the top
Control functions: