Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Auburn QB/WR John Franklin to transfer to FAU

Auburn QB/WR John Franklin to transfer to FAU

“John Franklin came to me expressing his desire for the chance to play more and get closer to home," Auburn Coach Gus Malzahn said in a statement Tuesday. "He has made the decision to play elsewhere this season as a graduate transfer. John has been an outstanding young man during his time here and leaves Auburn with a degree. We wish John nothing but the best and thank him for his time at Auburn.”
Back to the top

Another quality student/athlete.
Back to the top

"Might be the fastest player in CUSA" 

Will be fun to see him running flys and jet sweeps, in front of his friends and family no less. Very cool news!
Back to the top

With all the skill players we have, I'm hoping the OL gels and stays healthy. That is very important.
Back to the top

I had asked this in one of the other threads, but how long do you guys think it will take some of these new players (not just yesterday's signings, but also some of the other guys that were late to camp) to get up to speed for the coaches to see enough to decide where they will fit/how and when they can contribute?

It would seem clear that Franklin's transition will be easier if he is coming in as a WR/slot kind of guy and we use his speed versus trying to be a QB.  I had read yesterday when looking up details about him that part of his problem with the transition to WR at Auburn was that he had some troubles holding on to the ball.  That was on a pro-Auburn site, so who knows if that statement has any merit.  But I am interested to know if Franklin came in with the clear direction that he was going to play WR or if he was promised a shot to at least compete at QB???  With 15 days until kickoff, it would seem nearly impossible to expect him to compete at QB for the opener, but as such a good athlete you have to believe the staff will look for ways to get him on the field.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I had asked this in one of the other threads, but how long do you guys think it will take some of these new players (not just yesterday's signings, but also some of the other guys that were late to camp) to get up to speed for the coaches to see enough to decide where they will fit/how and when they can contribute?

It would seem clear that Franklin's transition will be easier if he is coming in as a WR/slot kind of guy and we use his speed versus trying to be a QB.  I had read yesterday when looking up details about him that part of his problem with the transition to WR at Auburn was that he had some troubles holding on to the ball.  That was on a pro-Auburn site, so who knows if that statement has any merit.  But I am interested to know if Franklin came in with the clear direction that he was going to play WR or if he was promised a shot to at least compete at QB???  With 15 days until kickoff, it would seem nearly impossible to expect him to compete at QB for the opener, but as such a good athlete you have to believe the staff will look for ways to get him on the field.

Posted On: Aug 16th 2017, 9:48 AM #369976

I believe it has already been stated that he will be a WR.  If a guy can come in now and beat our QB's out at this point we are in deep trouble.
Back to the top

I must have missed something.  Where has it been confirmed that he's playing either QB or WR?  Either way, he's a great addition.  Looks like we may need help in both areas.  Our WR group is deep but the talent may be questionable at this point.  Still room to develop.  Sounds like there's been turnover issues and problems with creating separation.  Maybe problems with route running too.  

QBs have had some injury problems and if no one has been identified yet to lead the Offense and we play Navy in a couple of weeks  :Thinking:   Just stating what you guys probably already know.

Back to the top

That was what I was asking.  Has somebody confirmed he has been told one way or the other?  No doubt every team can always use another really good athlete, but I was wondering if anybody knew for sure what the plans were for him (and I know that is an impossible question - the only people that would know are Franklin and the coaches).

I would expect Franklin would at least want a shot at playing QB in his "last chance" as a grad transfer.  I totally understand his move to get a chance to play (at any position) more than what he was expecting at Auburn, and coming back home makes a ton of sense.  If he is going to be one of the fastest guys in the conference, surely wherever he is used he can become at worse a great decoy but hopefully he becomes a huge homerun-capable threat.  As somebody else mentioned, jet sweeps, bubble screens, fly routes to stretch the field all help make running the ball in a traditional fashion a little easier.  The guy ran for 430 yards for an SEC team last year, so there is no doubt he has skills.
Back to the top

So when are the new guys expected to begin practice? Are are both eligible this year or only Franklin?

And what of JUCOS Lydon and Burriss?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

So when are the new guys expected to begin practice? Are are both eligible this year or only Franklin?

And what of JUCOS Lydon and Burriss?
Posted On: Aug 16th 2017, 1:41 PM #369985

Edit Burris never made it different DB wearing 15 out there and Lydon didn't either. This what happen with JUCO's and why I am never a fan. We got lucky and found other transfers, but that makes from sighing day who never made it.   

I am guessing both guys will be here quickly since school starts on Saturday. I don't think Lyndon is coming.  

Back to the top
Control functions: