Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Carl Pelini resigns effictive immediately...

Yea, makes sense..just hate it for the kids...Hopefully they stay focused on football and school and see that there is no place for drugs.
Back to the top

Great point Tim, this is what a consequence looks like
Back to the top

From Pelini's contract:
Prohibited Activities. In addition to the University’s regulations and policies, the following
is a non-exclusive list of prohibited activities for a coach to engage in which if violated
may lead to discipline for the Coach, including but not limited to suspension for a period
of time with or without pay or termination of employment and this Agreement for cause:

7. Possession, use, sale, or manufacture of any narcotics, drugs, or other controlled substances or steroids or other chemicals in a manner prohibited by law or applicable Athletic Requirements, or allowing, encouraging, or condoning the
possession, use, sale, or manufacture of any narcotics, drugs, or other controlled
substances or steroids or other chemicals by any student athlete in a manner which
is prohibited by Law or by the Athletic Requirements, or failure or refusal to fully
participate and cooperate in the University’s implementation and enforcement of any
drug/alcohol testing program; or

8. Engaging in conduct which, in the sole determination of the University, violates any
law or University regulation or policy; or engaging in any other conduct which, in the
sole determination of the University, adversely affects the mission, operations, or
reputation of the University, including but not limited to, acts of dishonesty,
misrepresentation, fraud, violence, the abuse of alcohol or drugs, domestic violence
or spousal abuse, or other acts of violence, assault, or moral turpitude. Also, any
conduct which results in a plea of guilty or nolo contendere by Coach for any crime
(except for minor traffic offenses), conviction of Coach for any crime (except for
minor traffic offenses), or criminal charge for which adjudication or prosecution was
deferred or withheld (except for minor traffic offenses).

WHAT A DUMB A#&!!
Back to the top

I just got what I assume is a university wide email sent to my fau.edu email address with a statement from chun :

FAU Students, Faculty and Staff:

It is with profound disappointment and sadness that I announce the resignation of Florida Atlantic University Head Football Coach Carl Pelini and Defensive Coordinator Pete Rekstis. They tendered their resignations to me late this morning after I confronted both coaches with reports relating to their use of illegal drugs.

On Monday, I was made aware of these concerns and I immediately reported the allegations to our General Counsel. The University acted quickly and decisively to follow up and take action that is in the best interests of our student-athletes and the University overall. I can assure you that we have no information that suggests anyone other than these two individuals engaged in these activities.

I am personally very saddened for our student-athletes, coaches and staff. I just met with the players a few moments ago and notified them of the news. As you could imagine, the reaction was shock, dismay and disbelief. What I do know is that the FAU football team is a resilient group of young men and they will work through this, and learn and grow from this experience. It is a heartbreaking day for us all.

I’d like to emphasize that nothing takes a higher priority than the health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes. We will work to ensure that any student-athletes’ questions and concerns are addressed. And let me reiterate, we have no information indicating any student-athletes were involved in any illegal activities.

Offensive Coordinator Brian Wright will serve as interim head coach, effective immediately. I have great confidence in his abilities to lead this football program. When I asked Brian to take this role he accepted it without hesitation. He is surrounded by eight assistant coaches that are 100 percent committed to our program and student-athletes.

Mr. Pelini asked that I include the following statement on his behalf:

“I apologize for exercising poor judgment. My greatest concerns at this time are for my family, the dedicated FAU players and my staff. I am confident that Pat Chun and the University administration will continue to move the program forward.”

Pat Chun
FAU Director of Athletics

Back to the top

What else can happen.. Seriously. Shootings, robberies, owlcatraz and now this. 
Back to the top

Chun just said on ESPN 106.3 that the only police involvement in this situation was to "get them out of here in an expeditious manner."

"There was no violence or anything like that."

Chun said the police were on hand to make sure the transition was smooth and that university belongings were not removed.

He said Howard Schnellenberger would not be involved with the team. He declined to comment on whether he would recommend either of the fired coaches for another position at another school. He said he would need six months or so to make up his mind.
Back to the top

What else can happen.. Seriously. Shootings, robberies, owlcatraz and now this. 
Back to the top

with did they give the interim to Wright and not Sims?  isn't Sims the Assoc. HC?
Back to the top

What else can happen.. Seriously. Shootings, robberies, owlcatraz and now this
Back to the top

The alert I got on my phone was "attended social event where marijuana was used". The post from Chun says "their use of illegal drugs".

Get ready for the floodgates to open. Let the bashing begin!!!

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: