Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach KIFFIN 4/1 Arkansas

In every single interview; he mentions how he only cares about the development of the kids and he is not chasing that next high paying job nor fame anymore.
We will see how this unfolds.

Let's enjoy the game on saturday!
Back to the top

Kiffin's career is such an interesting story and I think the fact that he went to so high so quickly, and then fell has to play a big role in his thinking.

The coaching carousel right now is crazy due to crazy expectations from middling programs in the P5 conferences. Kiffin would have 3 years MAX to turn Arkansas into a double digit win per season program, which hasn't been the case since Petrino a decade ago (Fun fact, Petrino apparently lives in Boca Raton). That is damn near impossible to do - and hardly worth the money to move to NW Arkansas only to be damaged goods when you aren't able to make a miracle happen….with players you didn't even recruit.

Coaches become legends because they build teams and stick around. Kiffin should stay in Boca, continue to build a team that is nationally relevant like Boise State. Beat a P5 team more than one time 12 years ago. Beat a ranked team. Be a ranked team. Beat MTSU and Marshall on a regular basis. Use his platform to call for reforms in the playoff system to expand it to automatically include G5 conference champs - even if only as some sort of play-in, and bring together G5 teams to refuse to play P5 teams without at least 1 home game for 2 away.

He has almost zero pressure here as long as he is getting at least 5 or 6 wins a season in Boca with a bowl/conference run sprinkled in there, and if he leaves and fails that will be his second fall - and who comes calling at that point? Finish his career in Boca, advocate for systemic changes in the FBS playoff, get his name on the stadium and a statue out front, and enjoy life in sunny South Florida with a 7 figure salary.

Am I missing something?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Kiffin's career is such an interesting story and I think the fact that he went to so high so quickly, and then fell has to play a big role in his thinking.

The coaching carousel right now is crazy due to crazy expectations from middling programs in the P5 conferences. Kiffin would have 3 years MAX to turn Arkansas into a double digit win per season program, which hasn't been the case since Petrino a decade ago (Fun fact, Petrino apparently lives in Boca Raton). That is damn near impossible to do - and hardly worth the money to move to NW Arkansas only to be damaged goods when you aren't able to make a miracle happen….with players you didn't even recruit.

Coaches become legends because they build teams and stick around. Kiffin should stay in Boca, continue to build a team that is nationally relevant like Boise State. Beat a P5 team more than one time 12 years ago. Beat a ranked team. Be a ranked team. Beat MTSU and Marshall on a regular basis. Use his platform to call for reforms in the playoff system to expand it to automatically include G5 conference champs - even if only as some sort of play-in, and bring together G5 teams to refuse to play P5 teams without at least 1 home game for 2 away.

He has almost zero pressure here as long as he is getting at least 5 or 6 wins a season in Boca with a bowl/conference run sprinkled in there, and if he leaves and fails that will be his second fall - and who comes calling at that point? Finish his career in Boca, advocate for systemic changes in the FBS playoff, get his name on the stadium and a statue out front, and enjoy life in sunny South Florida with a 7 figure salary.

Am I missing something?
Posted On: Dec 4th 2019, 9:48 AM #391437

I luv the enthusiasm however….

3yrs at P5= $15mil
15yrs at G5= $15mil

That's hard to say no too….
Back to the top

Did you guys know we're hosting the conference championship on Saturday?
Back to the top

However - if the train pulls out of of Boca, I'd take a look at Rich Rodriguez, Barry Odom, Butch Jones, maybe Sark, maybe Strong. Definitely not Taggart, and definitely not Briles. Especially not Briles, who has been at 3 programs in 3 years.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Kiffin would have 3 years MAX to turn Arkansas into a double digit win per season program, which hasn't been the case since Petrino a decade ago (Fun fact, Petrino apparently lives in Boca Raton). That is damn near impossible to do - and hardly worth the money to move to NW Arkansas only to be damaged goods when you aren't able to make a miracle happen….with players you didn't even recruit.

I don't think this is true. If he's in a bowl by year 3 I think Arkansas fans would be happy at this point. Morris didn't get fired because he couldn't win 10 games, he got fired for getting blown out by Western Kentucky and North Texas while also losing to San Jose State and Colorado State. If Kiffin didn't lose to four G5 teams in two years he would be fine.
Back to the top

Is it a done deal with Arkansas. The silence is deafening. Do we all expect this to end after the championship game. Love the owls avatar for a Arkansas fan. So basically it’s over 
Back to the top

ALL I KNOW IS HE CAN DO MUCH BETTER BY BEING PATIENT!
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Is it a done deal with Arkansas. The silence is deafening. Do we all expect this to end after the championship game. Love the owls avatar for a Arkansas fan. So basically it’s over 
Posted On: Dec 4th 2019, 2:58 PM #391450

I don't think it its a done deal by any means. Ark has continued interviewing other candidates since Sunday. I have grown more confident with each passing day he still could be here in 2020. Good news is I think we will know by Sunday.
Back to the top

Keep in mind too, that Arkansas, like FAU, is a stepping stone school. USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, are probably going to hire their next coach from a mid-level P5 program that has shown it can compete in a tough division. So when Clay Helton, Manny Diaz, whoever is next at FSU, get fired, they'll look to hire from an established program, and not a G5 program that gets blown out by Ohio State or UCF. So to coach at one of the bluechip programs, Kiffin HAS to go prove he can win in a competitive conference. And at 44, he can go til he's 48 or 50, and close out his career at an Alabama or USC.
Back to the top
Control functions: