Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach KIFFIN 4/1 Arkansas

If he does l leave which is looking more likely I would hope the AD hires from within to keep continuity within the program. But that is a hope. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

If he does l leave which is looking more likely I would hope the AD hires from within to keep continuity within the program. But that is a hope. 
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 12:38 AM #391366

Hopefully Kiffin doesn’t leave, but if he does there will be no shortage of good experienced candidates available many with previous success at the G5 level and could benefit from another chance like Kiffin. Willie Taggart, Randy Shannon, Steve Sarkisian, Butch Jones, Larry Fedora, Todd Graham, Jim Leavitt,…etc.. All could be really good options that may be willing to come here with what FAU has been paying and the surrounding recruiting base. Kendal Briles could also be an option but I think would be higher risk with his lack of HC experience. Defenses are also catching up to the fast offenses since many are running them now.

Back to the top

owl said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 12:38 AM #391366

Hopefully Kiffin doesn’t leave, but if he does there will be no shortage of good experienced candidates available many with previous success at the G5 level and could benefit from another chance like Kiffin. Willie Taggart, Randy Shannon, Steve Sarkisian, Butch Jones, Larry Fedora, Todd Graham, Jim Leavitt,…etc.. All could be really good options that may be willing to come here with what FAU has been paying and the surrounding recruiting base. Kendal Briles could also be an option but I think would be higher risk with his lack of HC experience. Defenses are also catching up to the fast offenses since many are running them now.

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 2:24 AM #391367

I would take taggart in a heartbeat. He has already proven he can build a team like wku and usf. He would be a great recruiter and bring a buzz to the program. What if he brought briles back with him as well. I would consider briles getting the job too. Defensive coaches are a hard sell in todays cfb. Look at partridge and pellini. Herm edwards fired his offensive staff said u need to score 30 in college football today.
Back to the top

If you look at one of the rumors posted in this thread, it outlined the possibility of Kiffin taking Briles as his OC and Shannon as his DC.  Who knows if ANY of this is true, but with all the jobs that have come open the G5 openings will fill even slower because they have to wait on how the staffs get filled out at FSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, BC, etc. (or they get filled quickly from within or jumping on either an up-and-comer or a retread who wouldn’t be on the radar for coordinator roles at those places).

But let’s just see.  All of the positions out there it is surprising Lane would jump at Arkansas, but 5 years at $3.75M and an SEC job is pretty hard to ignore. 

Here is yet another article that talks about Kiffin possibly being a candidate at all 3 current SEC openings:
Forde-Yard Dash: Demanding SEC Back on Schedule With Quick Firings | Sports Illustrated
Back to the top

Hard Nooooo on Taggart.  He even managed to bring in arguably the best offensive coordinator to FSU and didn't let him do his thing.  Dumbest move he ever made.
Back to the top

I don't want older, retread coaches who have already made their money in the sport.  We need younger, hungrier candidates - most likely someone at the coordinator level with no prior head coaching experience.

Charlie Strong is case in point to what I'm talking about.  He had great success at Louisville and parleyed that into the Texas job, where he became extravagantly wealthy.  He did well initially at USF with Taggart's players, but then failed to sustain it through the hard work (recruiting, program management).  

We need someone on the way up and not the way down.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

Hard Nooooo on Taggart.  He even managed to bring in arguably the best offensive coordinator to FSU and didn't let him do his thing.  Dumbest move he ever made.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 7:59 AM #391370

Agreed, but I don't think Taggart would be an option. I think that Taggart is going back to USF.

I love the idea of Kendal as the HC but some of the rumors I've read are saying that Kiffin would take Kendal with him to Arkansas as the OC.
Back to the top

With Kendal Briles, you would still have to deal with the Baylor/Art Briles stuff; plus, I'm not sure he's shown enough yet as an OC to get a head coaching gig.  Still, a name worth considering.

Another name that I would like is Eddie Gran, OC at Kentucky who was previously OC at FSU.
Back to the top

dore95 said

I don't want older, retread coaches who have already made their money in the sport.  We need younger, hungrier candidates - most likely someone at the coordinator level with no prior head coaching experience.

Charlie Strong is case in point to what I'm talking about.  He had great success at Louisville and parleyed that into the Texas job, where he became extravagantly wealthy.  He did well initially at USF with Taggart's players, but then failed to sustain it through the hard work (recruiting, program management).  

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 8:36 AM #391371

With a younger coach u have to constantly worry abt them taking another job at the first chance of success.
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

dore95 said

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 8:36 AM #391371

With a younger coach u have to constantly worry abt them taking another job at the first chance of success.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 9:25 AM #391374

Yeah but we’re a group of 5 school that comes to with the territory. The good G5 schools replace good coaches with good coaches. 
Back to the top
Control functions: