Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach KIFFIN 4/1 Arkansas

Hit a homerun with kiffin, hard to do year after year. Someone who has been at the top less likely to leave.
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

dore95 said

I don't want older, retread coaches who have already made their money in the sport.  We need younger, hungrier candidates - most likely someone at the coordinator level with no prior head coaching experience.

Charlie Strong is case in point to what I'm talking about.  He had great success at Louisville and parleyed that into the Texas job, where he became extravagantly wealthy.  He did well initially at USF with Taggart's players, but then failed to sustain it through the hard work (recruiting, program management).  

We need someone on the way up and not the way down.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 8:36 AM #391371

With a younger coach u have to constantly worry abt them taking another job at the first chance of success.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 9:25 AM #391374

Well, that's just a fact of football at this level (and every level, except the top).  That is not a reason to hire a lesser coach.

Here's an example:  Cincinnati had great success with Brian Kelly and Butch Jones, who left for Notre Dame and Tennessee, respectively.  Cincinnati administration got tired of losing their coaches so they hired veteran coach Tommy Tuberville who had been fired at Auburn.  His wife had Cincinnati ties and the thinking was that he would stay for the long haul.  But he was not sufficiently motivated and the program went downhill.  They got rid of him and hired another young coach (Luke Fickell) who has had great success and will probably leave after this season.

Back to the top

dore95 said

1OwlFLATL said

dore95 said

I don't want older, retread coaches who have already made their money in the sport.  We need younger, hungrier candidates - most likely someone at the coordinator level with no prior head coaching experience.

Charlie Strong is case in point to what I'm talking about.  He had great success at Louisville and parleyed that into the Texas job, where he became extravagantly wealthy.  He did well initially at USF with Taggart's players, but then failed to sustain it through the hard work (recruiting, program management).  

We need someone on the way up and not the way down.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 8:36 AM #391371

With a younger coach u have to constantly worry abt them taking another job at the first chance of success.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 9:25 AM #391374

Well, that's just a fact of football at this level (and every level, except the top).  That is not a reason to hire a lesser coach.

Here's an example:  Cincinnati had great success with Brian Kelly and Butch Jones, who left for Notre Dame and Tennessee, respectively.  Cincinnati administration got tired of losing their coaches so they hired veteran coach Tommy Tuberville who had been fired at Auburn.  His wife had Cincinnati ties and the thinking was that he would stay for the long haul.  But he was not sufficiently motivated and the program went downhill.  They got rid of him and hired another young coach (Luke Fickell) who has had great success and will probably leave after this season.

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 9:32 AM #391377

I think its great in theory but who are those guys that meet that criteria today? 
Back to the top

The worst-case scenario is Lane doesn’t take a job for a couple of weeks and then you have to take whatever is available.  Many promising guys will get jobs as coordinators at the P5 programs, and then head coaches who leave G5 places will leave those programs competing against one another for the hopefully hot young candidates.  And all of this would be happening across the early signing period and preparation for bowl games at many of the G5 schools.  Personally, if something is going to happen I would prefer it be as early as this week or no later than Sunday after the C-USA championship so FAU can be aggressive IF they have to.

One of those co-OCs at Clemson wouldn’t be the end of the world.  I’d think a coordinator from a big school who has seen first hand how a successful program should be run…. wait, sounds an awful lot like when Kiffin was hired.
Back to the top

I’m all in and I mean ALL IN on Charlie Weis Jr. I think he’s ready and he’s a great recruiter Judging by how he’s almost always in the pic with the recruit. I’ve heard about him recruiting a lot. 
Back to the top

Joe Brady from LSU is from south florida. Someone who helped install the spread and is seen as an up and comer in coaching circles.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Big difference with Taggart compared to Strong is Taggart has won as head coach at multiple places. It took him time to turn around USF from how down it was under Skip Holtz. I still think he could have turned around FSU if given enough time and given the chance to get the right players like he did at USF. I hope Taggart doesn’t go to another CUSA school if he doesn’t come here.

In any case, I’m confident in Brian White to make a good hire when the time comes hopefully in a year or two at least.
Back to the top

as I've stated before, I hope and pray Coach stays. However if he does leave, I say we go after Urban Meyer. He's retired twice due to a medical condition caused by stress. There's no stress in Paradise!!!!!!!
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I’m all in and I mean ALL IN on Charlie Weis Jr. I think he’s ready and he’s a great recruiter Judging by how he’s almost always in the pic with the recruit. I’ve heard about him recruiting a lot. 
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 10:20 AM #391380

Not saying I dont understand why you feel this way…but man, I would be incredibly hesitant to hire an under 30 as HC of a program.

The difference between being a coordinator and HC, especially at a place like FAU which is still grass roots is an ocean.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: