Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach Kiffin on Boca Bowl for The Owls

WelL until someone at FAU AND/OR CUSA does explain we should complain - BUT GO TO THE GAME NO MATTER WHAT!
Back to the top

sigep77 said

fauowls44 said

It’s just silly to me to be this upset about something you have zero control over.  So we didn’t get the game we wanted?  OK…we got an extra home game instead.  It’s not the end of the world.  Win the game and in a few years nobody will remember the opponent, just that the team won a bowl game.  

In order to grow the program to the place we want it to be, there needs to be better fan support.  So boycott if you want because of this, but that won’t help matters.  Be part of the solution and go enjoy the team hopefully winning another trophy.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 6:51 PM #374830

Completely incorrect.  There was control over this and this was expected.  FAU could have done a better job of politicking to ensure we get the best bowl with the best exposure possible.

FAU failed again.

Better fan support comes with marquee matchups.  It's not just talk but it's action that's been seen.  The better teams we've faced at home and even the better teams we've played away at have been our best crowds.  Period.  End stop.  Akron is a complete failure. F-.

Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 7:25 PM #374840

I agree with you that the FAU administration may have been caught being a little green in the inner workings of big time college football.  The buzz probably happened much faster than anticipated and without a solid strategic plan.

This is part of why I feel it's important to start organizing a 2018 "Motor for Heisman" campaign NOW.

I'll let it slip this first time (this is unchartered territory for most) but it can't happen in 2018.

Better fan support?  The Miami game was sold out but I bet you there were more Canes fans than Owl fans there.  The Navy game was an "event" with plenty of media attention - attendance fell off quickly after that.  Conference USA Championship game at home?  Not even close to sold out.

If we can't average 12-15k for home games, we can't expect the same amount to travel for a bowl game.

Back to the top

owlsdad said

I have now huddled with my much smarter daughter (and wife) and not that i am all in (I guess that should be OWL-in), but regardless of what I think about this decision and our opponent I have been to all but 1 home game and I am going to be there to support our players no matter what.  I expect a crap attendance.  I expect a ho-hum smackdown of a team worse than most CUSA teams.  But I also expect to enjoy it and cheer hard for a team that I was just hopeful would be 7-5 when this season started.

I still hold-out the right to complain!
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 7:31 PM #374843

Anyone interested in tailgating, let me know.  You're invited.
Back to the top

I think the coaches would be okay with this. A lot fewer distractions than playing elsewhere. Having to manage a team for 3-5 days in New Orleans, LA, or even Orlando has to be harder than managing at home. However, the flip side is that the players may not take it as seriously as a bowl game played away on a neutral site. Likely will not have a bowl feel for them. This could be hard for the coaches.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Congratulations to the FAU players that worked so hard to bring FAU its 1st conference championship and best season in program history. 

Here is your reward:
1 more home game against a crap MAC team.

These kids worked hard and deserved better.  Even the team down the street gets to celebrate their mediocre season in St Pete. 

I think it sucks.   Very sad.  

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

fauowls44 said

It’s just silly to me to be this upset about something you have zero control over.  So we didn’t get the game we wanted?  OK…we got an extra home game instead.  It’s not the end of the world.  Win the game and in a few years nobody will remember the opponent, just that the team won a bowl game.  

In order to grow the program to the place we want it to be, there needs to be better fan support.  So boycott if you want because of this, but that won’t help matters.  Be part of the solution and go enjoy the team hopefully winning another trophy.

No, what is silly is just accepting this without demanding an explanation.  I don’t just take things lying down as apparently some of you do.  I am going to find out what happened and why and then I will make a decision on what I am going to do. If there is a legitimate reason why this occurred the so be it but I want to know what it is.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 7:07 PM #374833

Sorry that I’m not properly angry about this.  I’m not thrilled about the matchup either, but it is what is.  Demand an explanation?  Isn’t it fairly obvious?  We don’t have the fan support to make us attractive to some of the bigger bowl games.  In the end, we won the conference and were sent to same game last year’s champs went to.  I do believe that FAU did try to get to other games, but it likely came down to Boca and St. Pete.  So the choice for the Boca Bowl is: Do you want FIU who won’t bring fans or fill hotels or FAU who will sell more tickets.  Ultimately it’s the Bowl/Conference’s call and we don’t have much leverage here because of our attendance.  

You can look for people to blame, but until more fans start supporting the program, we will be in this position.  
Back to the top

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with this.

Attendance matters, and we didn't even fill the stadium for the championship game!  I guess the coaches, players, students, and fans were upset it was another home game.

Guess the Canes won't show up for the Orange Bowl against Wisconsin either.
Back to the top

We didn't even enjoy being conference champions for 24 hours before we found something to gripe about.

THAT'S sad.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

dusky256fc said

fauowls44 said

No, what is silly is just accepting this without demanding an explanation.  I don’t just take things lying down as apparently some of you do.  I am going to find out what happened and why and then I will make a decision on what I am going to do. If there is a legitimate reason why this occurred the so be it but I want to know what it is.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 7:07 PM #374833

Sorry that I’m not properly angry about this.  Demand an explanation?  Isn’t it fairly obvious?  We don’t have the fan support to make us attractive to some of the bigger bowl games.  In the end, we won the conference and were sent to same game last year’s champs went to.  I do believe that FAU did try to get to other games, but it likely came down to Boca and St. Pete.  So the choice for the Boca Bowl is, do you want FIU who won’t bring fans or fill hotels or FAU who will sell more tickets.  Ultimately it’s the Bowl/Conference’s call and we don’t have much leverage here because of our attendance.  

You can look for people to blame, but until more fans start supporting the program, we will be in this position.  
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:41 PM #374865

That’s where you wrong, the winner chooses…FAU agreed to this bowl it wasn’t picked for us.  That’s why I want the explanation.  We have been told for 3 years that we did not want the Boca Bowl.  Chun said a week ago we did not want the Boca Bowl yet here we are the first year we qualify in the Boca Bowl.  You roll over, I want to know.

As I said, give me legit reason and so be it but I want to know what completely changed.  FIU Is not bringing more people to St Pete, the attendance issue is real but that’s not why we’re staying in Boca.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with this.

Attendance matters, and we didn't even fill the stadium for the championship game!  I guess the coaches, players, students, and fans were upset it was another home game.

Guess the Canes won't show up for the Orange Bowl against Wisconsin either.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:45 PM #374868

Do not be surprised if Wisconsin puts more of their fans in the seats. When they have made the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, it was a predominantly Wisconsin crowd.
Back to the top
Control functions: