Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach Kiffin on Boca Bowl for The Owls

Time to but a spin on the issue….

Option #1 - We play and beat a P5 school, LK gets hired away.

Option #2 - We play FCS Akron (jk) in the Boca Bowl, no one's impressed and we keep Kiffin for another year or 2.

I'm good with option #2.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

rook01 said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with this.

Attendance matters, and we didn't even fill the stadium for the championship game!  I guess the coaches, players, students, and fans were upset it was another home game.

Guess the Canes won't show up for the Orange Bowl against Wisconsin either.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:45 PM #374868
Do not be surprised if Wisconsin puts more of their fans in the seats. When they have made the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, it was a predominantly Wisconsin crowd.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:56 PM #374871
As a Badger Fan because Wisconsin is my home state prior to me moving down here and becoming a owl, I can say this. Wisconsin Fans absolutely travel well to games, especially Bowl Games. You will see a large number fly in, plus those that live down here that may go to the game. Looks like I'll have to find some place else to watch the Badgers-Canes match up since wife is a Hurricane fan. As for our getting "Screwed over", I am pretty much like everyone else. It sucks, but we can complain until the cows come home. It won't change anything. What we can do is fill the seats and support our team at the Bowl Game. Unfortuntaley the schedule is already made for work and I have to work that night, but I will be listening in. Go Owls beat the zips. 
Back to the top

True or not, word on campus (according to my daughter) is that Temple backed out of the Boca Bowl as the other AAC schools moved "up" the bowl ladder - UCF to Peach, Memphis to Liberty, USF to Birmingham.  Those are all significantly higher-paying bowls, and when it came down to it the St. Pete game pays more and I guess has a higher precedent with AAC (assume because of the pay).  When it was available, Temple moved "up".

So think about that - AAC wants to send their best teams to the highest paying bowl to get the most exposure.  CUSA appears to want to make their decision strictly on how many seats they think they can sell in the 5 bowls we are tied into because of the level of the games themselves - which is way down the pecking order and are not going to attract that many fans to begin with.  This is seeming to be much more a CUSA problem rather than an FAU one to me.  The direct parallel - AAC sends USF to Birmingham rather than forcing them to play St. Pete.  CUSA basically forces us to choose either Boca or St. Pete (with a strong preference for Boca).  Only way I can read this - or at least is what I truly hope happened.
Back to the top

Sure our bowl selection is dissapointing, but lets take a step back and realize that many of us were just hoping for a 6-6 season, and here we are conference champs complaining about a bowl game.  I would have loved to to see us vs. FSU or us play in St. Pete but it is what it is.  With work and my holiday schedule I can't make a tuesday night game, but will definetly be watching to cheer the owls on.  

I also like cb's take, and agree that a big win over a better opponent would certainly fuel up Lane's escape jet so I'll take a mediocre game if that means we can have another year with coach K.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Turning to the game itself, I did not purchase tickets ahead of time for this game (it was the one I really thought we would not go to).  On the FAU ticket site, it is still showing the $50 ticket that I think is just to reserve seats but not give you one.  On the Boca Bowl site, only a few seats are available in section 203 (at $375!!!!!), and then there are tickets ranging from $32 to $256 in other sections.  I sent an e-mail into the ticket office asking what the $50 ticket was because none of the "normal" season ticket sections seem to be avialable, but was wondering if any of you already have gotten tickets or have already spoken to the ticket office?
Back to the top

owlsdad said

True or not, word on campus (according to my daughter) is that Temple backed out of the Boca Bowl as the other AAC schools moved "up" the bowl ladder - UCF to Peach, Memphis to Liberty, USF to Birmingham.  Those are all significantly higher-paying bowls, and when it came down to it the St. Pete game pays more and I guess has a higher precedent with AAC (assume because of the pay).  When it was available, Temple moved "up".

So think about that - AAC wants to send their best teams to the highest paying bowl to get the most exposure.  CUSA appears to want to make their decision strictly on how many seats they think they can sell in the 5 bowls we are tied into because of the level of the games themselves - which is way down the pecking order and are not going to attract that many fans to begin with.  This is seeming to be much more a CUSA problem rather than an FAU one to me.  The direct parallel - AAC sends USF to Birmingham rather than forcing them to play St. Pete.  CUSA basically forces us to choose either Boca or St. Pete (with a strong preference for Boca).  Only way I can read this - or at least is what I truly hope happened.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2017, 8:30 AM #374880

This is likely true about the AAC.  It's also probably true that FAU was either going to Boca or St. Pete.  If that is the case, St. Pete's payout is higher (not sure what it is this year, but last year it was $530K to $400K), but the difference is likely erased by FAU not having to travel and buy unused bowl allotments.  In the end, it looks like some bad luck cost FAU the chance to go to a more prestigious game.  

FAU clearly would have preferred to not play in the Boca Bowl, as they have said for years.  Can't do anything about it now though.  May as well embrace the chance to watch FAU play in a bowl game for the first time in 10 years, not have to fly anywhere, and hope we get one more win to close out a great season.  FAU should be doing all it can to fill the stadium (for the bowl game and next season) and make sure that attendance isn't a factor this time next year.  
Back to the top

Regarding the tickets, here is what the ticket office sent me:

Yes you can purchase the tickets through us and right now the exact seat locations are not available as the seating will be based on priority. If you buy now the ticket will say general admission but you will be given a seat that is in the FAU allotment on the west side of the stadium.
That is if you buy the $50 ticket through FAU your seat will be prioritized I assume based on your standing with the school (OSF donor, season-ticket holder, etc.).  I have no idea how they prioritize it.  Otherwise, you can buy tickets through the general Boca Bowl site.  Seats are plentiful in the South endzone for $32, but then run from $57 - $256 on the East side.  I guess I will just go ahead with the $50 through FAU and hope that my season-ticket holder status gets me a decent seat.
Back to the top

If the turnout is anything like our cusa Championship game you’ll have plenty of seats to choose from.
Back to the top

It will be a tough sell for the coaches but they should remind them
Akron beat Buffalo, Buffalo beat FAU-they did what we could not-don't take them lightly!

owlfan1 said

I think the coaches would be okay with this. A lot fewer distractions than playing elsewhere. Having to manage a team for 3-5 days in New Orleans, LA, or even Orlando has to be harder than managing at home. However, the flip side is that the players may not take it as seriously as a bowl game played away on a neutral site. Likely will not have a bowl feel for them. This could be hard for the coaches.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2017, 9:09 PM #374861

Back to the top

I'm not happy with this bowl, but…

Remember when we just wanted to go to a bowl game, no matter what? And now we're feeling snobby that we're not playing a good enough opponent?

But like I said, I'm also not happy about this bowl.
Back to the top
Control functions: