Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Moves by Kiffin

Hoot_N_Holler said

d-owl said

A lot of OC's would have been fired after this year.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2018, 8:26 PM #383900

There's probably more to the story, and more than we as fans need to know.

My guesses come down to either economics or egonomics.

Economics - Raises were given to keep other coaches here, reducing the pool of funds available for replacement coaches.

Egonomics - Kiffin struggled with truly being a CEO as discussed last season and wanted to call the shots.
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2018, 8:49 PM #383903

But lets consider how bad the WR play was this year. They were not doing much to make our young QB's job easier. Durante was our only decent WR, and he still was very average and inconsistent a lot this year. He dropped a lot of passes in key situations.

The offense still was top 20 in yards per game average.
Back to the top

I will fully admit that I am not an "X's" and "O's"  guy, nor do I know the intricacies of coaching breakdowns.  What I do know is that we did not show any improvement on either side of the ball by the end of the season.  I'm not sure if that falls more on the position coaches, coordinators, or Kiffin.  Obviously its a mix of all three, but who needs to be replaced to fix the issue?

I saw that we did re-sign Trickett and Smith.  I am glad they are staying on board but any other coaches/coordinators can be shown the door.  I keep going back to a point that has been stated over and over again......with the returning talent we had, how did the drop off in gameplay occur?

This season has dug us a hole as we had a lot of excitement after last season which translated to butts in seats and revenue at the start of the season.  After poor play, attendance and revenue dropped, and will be down again next season.  At that rate, we do not have the funds to jump on the coaching carousel, so our options are limited.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Back to the top

Ooh that is interesting 
Back to the top

How long was Chris Kiffins show cause? 
Back to the top

teambeer said

How long was Chris Kiffins show cause? 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2018, 9:14 PM #383918
 I believe it was 2 years
Back to the top

Yeah just found the article, you’re right. November 2019.
Back to the top

First reported by FootballScoop (and first reported here by Delt), Defensive Coordinator Tony Pecoraro will not return for the second year of his two-year contract.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

It's totally understandable for Pecoraro to be shown the door with the defense falling off. He didn't adjust his coaching to the actual talent level on that side of the ball, which CK did with the bend and don't break, not overly aggressive approach, which worked.

With that said, I don't think the major coaching changes should end there. As said earlier, there are a number of dynamics/factors in play, but IMHO the OC should be shown the door as well. There was too much talent on that side of the ball, and too many key players returning, for the results we had. Kiffin was obviously forced to get out of the "CEO" role and take a more hands on approach with the O when it was clear we were stuck in the mud.

I totally expect him to remain, but other OCs would have had a field day with the weapons we had on O. The OC  experiment was a failure.
Back to the top

I was so disappointed with Pecoraro as DC, he did good things at S. Miss. But then us going from 34 to 94 with 10 returning starters was God awful!

And I see the S. Miss D actually improved A LOT after he left. From 2107 24.5 pts, 332 yds., 9 ints. per game to 2018 19.8 pts., 279 yds., 14 ints. per game with only FOUR (4) returning starters there this year. THAT is the DC we need to hire it looks like, Pecs replacement!
Back to the top
Control functions: