Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

jgf2017 said

How do you let this guy stay on here? I'm personally insulted this guy hasn't been banned.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:44 PM #387038

You have personally attacked players beyond what is reasonable on this forum, make countless baseless posts on this forum and like FIUjules said your digs at Miami with "Universidad"  and "dump" comments it's pretty obvious what you're putting down.

I have lived in all three counties in my life and I loved my time in Boca, but I rather live in Miami or Ft.Lauderdale as a post-grad.

Palm Beach County is nice, but outside of a couple of areas, there is not much to do.

The median age of Miami Dade is a full 5.5 years younger.

There is not much to do in Sweetwater, but Boca doesn't do anything for its University.  It has been almost 4 years since 20th street development was supposed to start and nothing.
I was told by someone at FAU that the city balked when it came time to start some of the construction projects on 20th.  The city is worried about a few of its homeowners who live in that neighborhood who have to call the cops in parties on the street and now will not move on development.

Back to the top

@fauowl…..love the quick get in…get out comment.  
Back to the top

Focusing on moving into a different conference.  I’ve seen people bring up numerous pros and cons.

Here’s the question I have.  Things that are in our control, what would be the ranking of what’s most important for our leadership to work on?  Also, what’s our current plan to address each and what’s not being done that should be?

Top topics seem to be:

- Attendance
- Key Wins
- Donations
- Facilities

What other topics matter that I didn’t list?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I can answer that for you Walty. Attendance. ..cheap beer prices. Key wins….like we've done in the past, announce we won, even when we didn't. Donations. ….we just need to tax something, anything. Facilities….they ann ounce it before every baseball game, " for your convenience  restrooms are located  at the swimming complex next door". Who could want anything else. Now these are not official fau comments. But they probably  have been discussed.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I can answer that for you Walty. Attendance. ..cheap beer prices. Key wins….like we've done in the past, announce we won, even when we didn't. Donations. ….we just need to tax something, anything. Facilities….they ann ounce it before every baseball game, " for your convenience  restrooms are located  at the swimming complex next door". Who could want anything else. Now these are not official fau comments. But they probably  have been discussed.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 7:49 PM #387048

I like the plan for attendance 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 7:49 PM #387048

One thing I really like this new athletics department is doing is the pushing for a more grassroots type fundraising.

Past AD's wanted major donations, so they could put it on a resume and peace. The new paradise club is working just as hard to find 250 dollar donors as 1 million dollar donors. I love some of the creative inexpensive marketing they have done like the "Winning in Paradise'' signs last year and the cabana's in the endzone this year.

We have such a long way to go through as I have pointed out, we are 4 to 5 times behinds schools likes ODU and UNT in small donations. The millionaires in Palm Beach know where FAU is and most rather send their money up no to northern Florida.
Back to the top

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

GeorgiaOwl said

On a rival teams board? Ya think?? :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 2:31 PM #387032

Haha, it isn’t even like I trashed PBC, all I really said is that Miami is doing really well; and I certainly didn’t trash FAU, but I guess it is hard for some people to hear that FIU is doing ok too?  

I don’t know, if it makes people feel better to think of FIU as an institution on the precipice of collapse; and Miami as some Syria-like war zone that people are fleeing from and avoiding, despite the better than 10% population growth rate and rising property values, so be it.

I just wanted to set the record straight.

Anyway, I don’t know what the AAC has planned.  I am sure ESPN can renegotiate their contract, which might force them to add a school, but how they go about doing that, I have no idea.

If all they care about is available eyes on screens, the only two big markets they don’t hit are Atlanta and Miami.  If they care about gaps in the map they are probably looking at ODU, UAB, or MTSU.  If they care about sustained success and a strong following then App State is probably your best bet.

Really it is a crap shoot.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:16 PM #387037

No one said fiu is not doing well. Your statements regarding the surround area not mattering, however, are a bit ridiculous. We have gotten multiple recruits over you just because of the area surrounding fiu (according to those recruit's parents (Ocie Rose and an offensive lineman whose name escapes me to name just two).

As for your statements re: Miami doing better than Palm Beach County in terms of growth and/or welath, I direct you to this article: In Miami, There Are Too Many Condos and Not Enough Foreign Buyers - WSJ.

Also this one regarding Palm Beach: Palm Beach Notches Big-Ticket Home Sales - WSJ.

Regarding Boca specifically from two years ago: Shedding Seinfeld Stereotypes, Boca Property Developers Court Younger Crowd - WSJ

And perhaps the best one from CNBC regarding Boca as the next Miami: Behind Florida real estate

I think most at this point know that Miami is not what it used to be. And the fact that you mention Downtown Miami as a redeeming quality is mind boggling. I used to work in Downtown Miami and there could not have been more homeless people. No socialite or person of wealth would be there past 6 or 7 pm leaving work.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:48 PM #387040

Oy…

1Q - 2019 Palm Beach Sales Market Report | Douglas Elliman

http://www.miamidda.com/wp-content/uploads/MDDA_DemoPopReport_05072018.pdf

Hope actual reports provide greater insight for those that are actually interested in keeping up to date on the data.

But hey, you talked to a guy in an airport…
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

jgf2017 said

How do you let this guy stay on here? I'm personally insulted this guy hasn't been banned.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:44 PM #387038

You have personally attacked players beyond what is reasonable on this forum, make countless baseless posts on this forum and like FIUjules said your digs at Miami with "Universidad"  and "dump" comments it's pretty obvious what you're putting down.

I have lived in all three counties in my life and I loved my time in Boca, but I rather live in Miami or Ft.Lauderdale as a post-grad.

Palm Beach County is nice, but outside of a couple of areas, there is not much to do.

The median age of Miami Dade is a full 5.5 years younger.

There is not much to do in Sweetwater, but Boca doesn't do anything for its University.  It has been almost 4 years since 20th street development was supposed to start and nothing.
I was told by someone at FAU that the city balked when it came time to start some of the construction projects on 20th.  The city is worried about a few of its homeowners who live in that neighborhood who have to call the cops in parties on the street and now will not move on development.

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 7:13 PM #387044

Have you been over there? I would say the shopping center on 20th is a pretty big improvement. Put 4-5 restaurant/bar/pub crossovers and it’ll be just like UF’s midtown. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

And another thing is too. No conference commissioner outside CUSA and Sunbelt likes seeing half to 3/4 empty stadiums on ESPN. Even Marshall which has a longer history, prestige and tradition, along with that hard core fan base has trouble filling their stadium despite all that and spending money like there is no tomorrow on facilities. 
Back to the top

I totally agree with that plan. Fau is relatively young. We don't have multiple generations of grads. Our grads are young. Most young people  can donate. But only a small amount . Get these grads accustom  to giving and hopefully, with their success, comes an increase in donations.
Back to the top
Control functions: