Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

Hey Jules. You also gave an alum, my nephew  , that lives in Gernany. Got his masters  in international  finance.  Loved his experience.  When we play fiu, I hate you guys. I hated baseballl coach Turtle. Thanks for hanging out. Sharing  your thoughts.  Btw…the Lane train will roll over Butch again this year. Just sayin.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

It is my understanding that we both have attendance issues.

As far as where students come from,  http://www.fau.edu/iea/pdf/quickfacts/qf-2016.pdf.  FAU says that nearly 96% of the students are from Florida, with 85% of them coming from Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Don’t have county data for us, but looking at this we appear to also be about 90% state of Florida residents, https://www.flbog.edu/board/_doc/accountabilityplan/ap_2018/FIU_2018_Accountability_Plan__FINAL2.pdf.  I would assume, similar to FAU, the overwhelming majority of our students come from two counties.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 12:21 PM #387086

Yet we cant have them stay for all four quarters.
Back to the top

I would say FIU has a bigger attendance issue than FAU due to FIU having twice the amount of students and drawing less students to the games than FAU. I don't think your attendance issue will get better, you have too many factors not on your favor.
-Night life and more activities in Miami
-Too many teams to follow and UM is king down there
-Football team is not that strong.
-Diversity kills the college football experience. (this one is key and I can say it because I am hispanic and I have plenty of friends from FIU who do not care about the team. The hispanic population at FIU is way over 70% and some students come from latin america to go back to their countries after graduation. The college experience in Latin America is completely different to what we experience here in the U.S.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Hey Jules. You also gave an alum, my nephew  , that lives in Gernany. Got his masters  in international  finance.  Loved his experience.  When we play fiu, I hate you guys. I hated baseballl coach Turtle. Thanks for hanging out. Sharing  your thoughts.  Btw…the Lane train will roll over Butch again this year. Just sayin.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 4:13 PM #387089

Great to hear.  As a finance professional, please feel free to email me if there is anything I can do to help him out.

Turtle was an interesting roller coaster.  Him and Melendez seem to be amazing recruiters, but it doesn’t translate into on the field results.

As for this season, I will say that Lane inherited much more talent than Butch.  This year the teams are significantly closer, and you all lost a lot of production.  I like our chances.
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

I would say FIU has a bigger attendance issue than FAU due to FIU having twice the amount of students and drawing less students to the games than FAU. I don't think your attendance issue will get better, you have too many factors not on your favor.
-Diversity kills the college football experience. (this one is key and I can say it because I am hispanic and I have plenty of friends from FIU who do not care about the team. The hispanic population at FIU is way over 70% and some students come from latin america to go back to their countries after graduation. The college experience in Latin America is completely different to what we experience here in the U.S.

Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 6:48 PM #387093

That number is more like 60%, not way over 70%; and without blue collar Hispanics UM would only sell 20,000 tickets.

As for attendance, we had a major issue this year because of a conflict between Greek life and the administration, which led to them boycotting the games.  We drew very well during the Cristobal years, it is just a matter of properly re-engaging with the student body.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

faufan2017 said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

GeorgiaOwl said

On a rival teams board? Ya think?? :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 2:31 PM #387032

Haha, it isn’t even like I trashed PBC, all I really said is that Miami is doing really well; and I certainly didn’t trash FAU, but I guess it is hard for some people to hear that FIU is doing ok too?  

I don’t know, if it makes people feel better to think of FIU as an institution on the precipice of collapse; and Miami as some Syria-like war zone that people are fleeing from and avoiding, despite the better than 10% population growth rate and rising property values, so be it.

I just wanted to set the record straight.

Anyway, I don’t know what the AAC has planned.  I am sure ESPN can renegotiate their contract, which might force them to add a school, but how they go about doing that, I have no idea.

If all they care about is available eyes on screens, the only two big markets they don’t hit are Atlanta and Miami.  If they care about gaps in the map they are probably looking at ODU, UAB, or MTSU.  If they care about sustained success and a strong following then App State is probably your best bet.

Really it is a crap shoot.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:16 PM #387037

No one said fiu is not doing well. Your statements regarding the surround area not mattering, however, are a bit ridiculous. We have gotten multiple recruits over you just because of the area surrounding fiu (according to those recruit's parents (Ocie Rose and an offensive lineman whose name escapes me to name just two).

As for your statements re: Miami doing better than Palm Beach County in terms of growth and/or welath, I direct you to this article: In Miami, There Are Too Many Condos and Not Enough Foreign Buyers - WSJ.

Also this one regarding Palm Beach: Palm Beach Notches Big-Ticket Home Sales - WSJ.

Regarding Boca specifically from two years ago: Shedding Seinfeld Stereotypes, Boca Property Developers Court Younger Crowd - WSJ

And perhaps the best one from CNBC regarding Boca as the next Miami: Behind Florida real estate

I think most at this point know that Miami is not what it used to be. And the fact that you mention Downtown Miami as a redeeming quality is mind boggling. I used to work in Downtown Miami and there could not have been more homeless people. No socialite or person of wealth would be there past 6 or 7 pm leaving work.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:48 PM #387040

Oy…

1Q - 2019 Palm Beach Sales Market Report | Douglas Elliman

http://www.miamidda.com/wp-content/uploads/MDDA_DemoPopReport_05072018.pdf

Hope actual reports provide greater insight for those that are actually interested in keeping up to date on the data.

But hey, you talked to a guy in an airport…

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:13 PM #387051

You didn’t read my post at all. The airport examples were anecdotal of the other articles referenced.

Your palm beach article has sales up 6%.

Your downtown Miami article includes the greater Miami article rather than just downtown Miami. 

The point remains: the vibrance and viability of Miami as a city is 30-40 minutes away from fiu and wants nothing to do with you. FAU has had multiple million dollar donations in the past year from people in the local community that just like FAU. 
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 10:48 PM #387066

Ugh, there are multiple reports on the first link, please click through them.

The second one shows massive population growth in that Downtown you detest, and shows a median household income of $120,000.

Donations, we have those too.  The Green School of International and Public Affairs, $15 million donation.  The Leon Family Ambulatory Care Center, $10 million donation.  The Frost Art Museum, I think that was a smaller one at five million.  The Chaplin School of Hospitality Management, $20 million, and they gave us the South Beach Wine and Food Festival, which raises about $2 million a year for us.  The Wertheim College of Medicine, $40 million.

You know the amazing thing, those are all rich people who have nothing to do with FIU other than living in Dade County.

So once again, whatever makes you feel better.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 6:25 AM #387070

That report shows greater Miami and caps it downtown. Seems skewed. 

Nevertheless, what does a “downtown Miami” 30 minutes from fiu have to do with fiu? 

This is like Rutgers actually claiming NYC. 
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:14 AM #387076

I guess about as much as Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm Beach have to do with FAU?

Are you operating under the assumption that FIU students exclusively come from Sweetwater and alums exclusively live in Sweetwater?
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:24 AM #387077

Haha that's completely inaccurate. FAU has a major science campus up in Jupiter (Wilkes Honors College). They're building new dorms, research labs and classrooms. They're hiring a bunch of new researchers/professors and trying up to bring enrollment to 3000+ students.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 10:19 AM #387080

I believe our Jupiter campus has one of the only campuses that has both a Scripps and Max Planck research institutes. FAU | MPHP. The Jupiter campus also had its best enrollment this year ever.

Students at FAU are increasingly coming from the northeast and all around Florida.

Can you speak to the same for fiu? Or is fiu still combatting the same apathetic student body? I still find it amazing that every year we play y'all down there the FAU fans outnumber the fiu fans by far. Your stadium had about 5000 actual bodies there and I had to wait 45 minutes to get into the stadium and both endzones were tarped off. A down year for us and an up year for you and we still far out numbered you.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 10:24 AM #387081

As far as where students come from,  http://www.fau.edu/iea/pdf/quickfacts/qf-2016.pdf.  FAU says that nearly 96% of the students are from Florida, with 85% of them coming from Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Don’t have county data for us, but looking at this we appear to also be about 90% state of Florida residents, https://www.flbog.edu/board/_doc/accountabilityplan/ap_2018/FIU_2018_Accountability_Plan__FINAL2.pdf.  I would assume, similar to FAU, the overwhelming majority of our students come from two counties.

No way that county thing is accurate. I knew tons of Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville students.

FAU has about 6k on campus and I only knew a couple that are from the tri-county area.

FAU has done a solid job in getting students out to games.  We sold out the student section (just over 5k) twice in 2017. The 2017 Shula we had a great crowd until it rained a bit. When I directly compare that to the 2018 Shula Bowl, FIU only had maybe 500 students present.

We have attendance problems, but it is not close to being as bad as yours.

If we opened 2018 VS a Big 10 team at night as you did, it would have sold out no questions asked.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

NITE-OWL said

That number is more like 60%, not way over 70%; and without blue collar Hispanics UM would only sell 20,000 tickets.

As for attendance, we had a major issue this year because of a conflict between Greek life and the administration, which led to them boycotting the games.  We drew very well during the Cristobal years, it is just a matter of properly re-engaging with the student body.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 6:58 PM #387095

Jules, I am curious what you think of this theory.

Despite what those numbers say FAU's student body is made up of many students from Northen Florida.

Towns like Orlando, Jax, and Tampa tend to be more of college football hub type places that have alum from UF and FSU, but many other SEC/ACC and Big 10 schools.  They might have had a mom, dad, and older sister who all went to different universities, but felt having something of their own was important. This is not the case with every student who grew up going to UF games but many of my friends prioritized their allegiance to FAU.

The city of Miami has 40 years of people who never went to UM rooting for them, so an FIU student feels that it is just normal to root for UM despite never stepping foot on campus.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

faufan2017 said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

NJOWL said

JulesFIU07 said

GeorgiaOwl said

On a rival teams board? Ya think?? :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 2:31 PM #387032

Haha, it isn’t even like I trashed PBC, all I really said is that Miami is doing really well; and I certainly didn’t trash FAU, but I guess it is hard for some people to hear that FIU is doing ok too?  

I don’t know, if it makes people feel better to think of FIU as an institution on the precipice of collapse; and Miami as some Syria-like war zone that people are fleeing from and avoiding, despite the better than 10% population growth rate and rising property values, so be it.

I just wanted to set the record straight.

Anyway, I don’t know what the AAC has planned.  I am sure ESPN can renegotiate their contract, which might force them to add a school, but how they go about doing that, I have no idea.

If all they care about is available eyes on screens, the only two big markets they don’t hit are Atlanta and Miami.  If they care about gaps in the map they are probably looking at ODU, UAB, or MTSU.  If they care about sustained success and a strong following then App State is probably your best bet.

Really it is a crap shoot.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:16 PM #387037

No one said fiu is not doing well. Your statements regarding the surround area not mattering, however, are a bit ridiculous. We have gotten multiple recruits over you just because of the area surrounding fiu (according to those recruit's parents (Ocie Rose and an offensive lineman whose name escapes me to name just two).

As for your statements re: Miami doing better than Palm Beach County in terms of growth and/or welath, I direct you to this article: In Miami, There Are Too Many Condos and Not Enough Foreign Buyers - WSJ.

Also this one regarding Palm Beach: Palm Beach Notches Big-Ticket Home Sales - WSJ.

Regarding Boca specifically from two years ago: Shedding Seinfeld Stereotypes, Boca Property Developers Court Younger Crowd - WSJ

And perhaps the best one from CNBC regarding Boca as the next Miami: Behind Florida real estate

I think most at this point know that Miami is not what it used to be. And the fact that you mention Downtown Miami as a redeeming quality is mind boggling. I used to work in Downtown Miami and there could not have been more homeless people. No socialite or person of wealth would be there past 6 or 7 pm leaving work.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 5:48 PM #387040

Oy…

1Q - 2019 Palm Beach Sales Market Report | Douglas Elliman

http://www.miamidda.com/wp-content/uploads/MDDA_DemoPopReport_05072018.pdf

Hope actual reports provide greater insight for those that are actually interested in keeping up to date on the data.

But hey, you talked to a guy in an airport…

Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 8:13 PM #387051

You didn’t read my post at all. The airport examples were anecdotal of the other articles referenced.

Your palm beach article has sales up 6%.

Your downtown Miami article includes the greater Miami article rather than just downtown Miami. 

The point remains: the vibrance and viability of Miami as a city is 30-40 minutes away from fiu and wants nothing to do with you. FAU has had multiple million dollar donations in the past year from people in the local community that just like FAU. 
Posted On: Jun 30th 2019, 10:48 PM #387066

Ugh, there are multiple reports on the first link, please click through them.

The second one shows massive population growth in that Downtown you detest, and shows a median household income of $120,000.

Donations, we have those too.  The Green School of International and Public Affairs, $15 million donation.  The Leon Family Ambulatory Care Center, $10 million donation.  The Frost Art Museum, I think that was a smaller one at five million.  The Chaplin School of Hospitality Management, $20 million, and they gave us the South Beach Wine and Food Festival, which raises about $2 million a year for us.  The Wertheim College of Medicine, $40 million.

You know the amazing thing, those are all rich people who have nothing to do with FIU other than living in Dade County.

So once again, whatever makes you feel better.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 6:25 AM #387070

That report shows greater Miami and caps it downtown. Seems skewed. 

Nevertheless, what does a “downtown Miami” 30 minutes from fiu have to do with fiu? 

This is like Rutgers actually claiming NYC. 
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:14 AM #387076

I guess about as much as Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Palm Beach have to do with FAU?

Are you operating under the assumption that FIU students exclusively come from Sweetwater and alums exclusively live in Sweetwater?
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:24 AM #387077

Haha that's completely inaccurate. FAU has a major science campus up in Jupiter (Wilkes Honors College). They're building new dorms, research labs and classrooms. They're hiring a bunch of new researchers/professors and trying up to bring enrollment to 3000+ students.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 10:19 AM #387080

I believe our Jupiter campus has one of the only campuses that has both a Scripps and Max Planck research institutes. FAU | MPHP. The Jupiter campus also had its best enrollment this year ever.

Students at FAU are increasingly coming from the northeast and all around Florida.

Can you speak to the same for fiu? Or is fiu still combatting the same apathetic student body? I still find it amazing that every year we play y'all down there the FAU fans outnumber the fiu fans by far. Your stadium had about 5000 actual bodies there and I had to wait 45 minutes to get into the stadium and both endzones were tarped off. A down year for us and an up year for you and we still far out numbered you.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 10:24 AM #387081

No way that county thing is accurate. I knew tons of Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville students.

FAU has about 6k on campus and I only knew a couple that are from the tri-county area.

FAU has done a solid job in getting students out to games.  We sold out the student section (just over 5k) twice in 2017. The 2017 Shula we had a great crowd until it rained a bit. When I directly compare that to the 2018 Shula Bowl, FIU only had maybe 500 students present.

We have attendance problems, but it is not close to being as bad as yours.

If we opened 2018 VS a Big 10 team at night as you did, it would have sold out no questions asked.

Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:34 PM #387099

Those statistics are compiled by FAU.  Maybe the 15% who are not from BC or PBC are over represented within the on campus resident population?  Remember, 15% of 95% of 25,000 is still almost 3,600 people.  To give you some perspective on that, it would be about equal to 36% of UM’s entire undergraduate population.

2018 was a weird year for us.  During the Cristobal years we drew very well, we obviously didn’t draw as well with Turner; but this past season, in so far as student participation, seemed to be ruined by the school going Dean Wormer on Greek life.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

JulesFIU07 said

NITE-OWL said

Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 6:58 PM #387095

Jules, I am curious what you think of this theory.

Despite what those numbers say FAU's student body is made up of many students from Northen Florida.

Towns like Orlando, Jax, and Tampa tend to be more of college football hub type places that have alum from UF and FSU, but many other SEC/ACC and Big 10 schools.  They might have had a mom, dad, and older sister who all went to different universities, but felt having something of their own was important. This is not the case with every student who grew up going to UF games but many of my friends prioritized their allegiance to FAU.

The city of Miami has 40 years of people who never went to UM rooting for them, so an FIU student feels that it is just normal to root for UM despite never stepping foot on campus.
Posted On: Jul 1st 2019, 9:53 PM #387100

Well for starters, UM cast a large shadow over all of South Florida.  But yes, being more closely located to them definitely hurts, which is why we feel a victory over them is an important catalyst in converting fence sitters.

You also have to remember, South Floridians who didn’t go to UM have been going to their games for much longer than 40 years.  My grandfather went to UK, he was a UM season ticket holder from the 1930’s to the 1980’s. My dad grew up with that, and despite going to UF, he owned UM season tickets from the 1970’s to the early 2000’s.

They have done a great job of making themselves part of South Florida’s culture, particularly in Dade and Broward Counties.

I will say that I notice more FIU alums in their 30’s starting to take more ownership of the FIU brand.  This is usually seen in greater giving to the school, and in more involvement on the academic side.  However, it will eventually bleed over to athletics; and as we develop more of a residential population, those students will be more inclined to attend sporting events.
Back to the top

Dean Wormer - that's a funny one! :Laughing:  Thanks for my morning laugh!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: