Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

Art Vandelay said

Do we own that land on the north side of campus, below Spanish River? I'm asking, are we leasing to Bob's Chiropractic, as like, a choice? If so, there's your 20th Street Project 2.0. Unless Bob's pocket is that deep. I'd rather have a Funky Buddha taproom or second El Jefe/Charm City location, and not Susie's Eye Care Pro Plus. I don't even know what's there anymore…

There is a lot of Property that you may think is FAU's but has been land leased (long term), Basically everything above the bend in FAU BLVD. belongs to the Research Park (separate entity than FAU), with exception to Tech Runway which FAU owns the building and not the land. The old runway section North of FAU blvd. has to be rented for Football games/events because we don't own it.

I believe we do own that section North of Spanish River where Airport road and the I-95 exit ramp cuts around.

There have been many of land transactions over the years that leave you scratching your head, mostly because of BOT decisions. Most of them are appointed by the Governor and don't have FAU at heart, and make decisions to benefit "others". The Airport and surrounding property (Muvico, Boomers, Tilted Kilt, etc.) was under FAU at one point. But the powers at be didn't want to hire a 3rd party to run the airport and collect revenue so the land went back to the state and leased it to the Boca Airport Authority.

We leased out our property south of Glades and that became the Shopping Center and Restaurants but we only got money for the long term lease, even thought the group that owns the buildings ect. has sold a few time for millions.

Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Art Vandelay said

Do we own that land on the north side of campus, below Spanish River? I'm asking, are we leasing to Bob's Chiropractic, as like, a choice? If so, there's your 20th Street Project 2.0. Unless Bob's pocket is that deep. I'd rather have a Funky Buddha taproom or second El Jefe/Charm City location, and not Susie's Eye Care Pro Plus. I don't even know what's there anymore…

It's related, maybe, I think. We ought to be recruiting fans the way we do players. We're building more on-campus housing (I go back and fourth on my opinion of Greek Housing), good. But we need to get them to stay close and invest interest in campus goings-on. Like the 20th Street non-Project. It would carry-over to football and baseball (but not without bathrooms at the field? I must have forgotten that? damn) and so on.
Posted On: Jul 2nd 2019, 11:51 PM #387112

I don’t think the project will ever get off the ground. You have the neighborhoods that hate the plane and while glades road could be a great location for a couple bars near the burger joint you have another neighborhood right there. Plus I’m sure the city council has said well Atlantic is 10-20 minutes away. The students can just go their. 
Posted On: Jul 3rd 2019, 12:54 AM #387113

I don’t think this is a big hinderance for you all.  Only UF and FSU have a true student centric bar scene within walking distance of campus.  You, like us, just need a critical mass of people living on or within walking distance.  Having an entertainment district a short drive away is quite normal.  The main thing is that it is there and accessible to students.

I would rather drive to Wynwood than be walking distance from W. University Ave.
Back to the top

Boozie132 said

Art Vandelay said

There is a lot of Property that you may think is FAU's but has been land leased (long term), Basically everything above the bend in FAU BLVD. belongs to the Research Park (separate entity than FAU), with exception to Tech Runway which FAU owns the building and not the land. The old runway section North of FAU blvd. has to be rented for Football games/events because we don't own it.

I believe we do own that section North of Spanish River where Airport road and the I-95 exit ramp cuts around.

There have been many of land transactions over the years that leave you scratching your head, mostly because of BOT decisions. Most of them are appointed by the Governor and don't have FAU at heart, and make decisions to benefit "others". The Airport and surrounding property (Muvico, Boomers, Tilted Kilt, etc.) was under FAU at one point. But the powers at be didn't want to hire a 3rd party to run the airport and collect revenue so the land went back to the state and leased it to the Boca Airport Authority.

We leased out our property south of Glades and that became the Shopping Center and Restaurants but we only got money for the long term lease, even thought the group that owns the buildings ect. has sold a few time for millions.

Posted On: Jul 3rd 2019, 10:31 AM #387114

Well, poop.

But since we're at it, does PBCC own their land (or do you know?)?
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Boozie132 said

Art Vandelay said

Posted On: Jul 3rd 2019, 10:31 AM #387114

Well, poop.

Posted On: Jul 3rd 2019, 1:45 PM #387116

I believe we own and PBSC leases from us, but i think there is an agreement for use of our research and lab facilities.
Back to the top

A question - why would the State of Florida want two State colleges side by side???? I sorta get it that it started as Palm Beach CC but when they decided to go 4 years why not just merge the JC into FAU for one campus admin if nothing else than to cut overhead and make FAU a larger more prominent school then????

Seems REALLY stupid to have it the way it is!!!!! :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

A question - why would the State of Florida want two State colleges side by side???? I sorta get it that it started as Palm Beach CC but when they decided to go 4 years why not just merge the JC into FAU for one campus admin if nothing else than to cut overhead and make FAU a larger more prominent school then????

Posted On: Jul 4th 2019, 7:34 AM #387119

That's sorta where my head was at… Anyway. If we build them new academic facilities somewhere in-campus, call it, General Classrooms East or whatever you like, we'd make room for a non-20th Street, 20th Street Project (with maybe room for an eventual Burrow 2.0?).  I should get another Powerball ticket (unsurprisingly, the last one didn't win, though I've happily gone unscathed by lightening).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Jul 4th 2019, 7:34 AM #387119

Two different systems.  One is the state college system, the other is the state university system.  The latter is supposed to be more traditional, more selective, and offer more areas of study, including post-graduate programs.

You could look at merging PBSC with FAU, but it would cause a massive qualitative drop in your student body.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Well, poop.

Posted On: Jul 3rd 2019, 1:45 PM #387116

They lease from us, but it was renewed not long ago, normally 49 year or 99 year lease. I think of it more of a political move because if we revoked the lease it would have been a bad PR move. I guess it would come down to expansion. If PBSC felt they needed more space and FAU hard lined they would be forced to move and the Property would come back to FAU but highly unlikely.

PBSC, was once Palm Beach Junior College, then changed to Community College, and Now is a State College.

The changes if you think about it were to serve the community and you would move on to a University to take Upper Level Courses. That all changed when the State Legislature allowed for CC's to turn into SC's and offer Bachelors Degrees. The original thought for FAU was for for the Palm Beach Junior/Community to be a feeder to FAU. Remember FAU was an Upper Level University serving Juniors and Seniors until the 80's. The Powers at be saw this as a benefit to supply FAU with students, but it has some drawback FAU students use to be able to take courses over at CC because of costs and ease of classes, which hurts FAU pocket book and caliber of student. As well as then they use the system to transfer out of FAU to one of the bigger Universities.  

Side note, if it wasn't for FAU being founded as an Upper Level University, our "Wet Campus" would probably be dry.
Back to the top

It's not exactly how I'd go about it. But it's better than what we've got (Marshall included, for whatever reason they think they wouldn't be).

The Big 15: Immokalee's Charles Toombs taking playmaker skills to Lane Kiffin, FAU
Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: