Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference realignment.

Re: Conference realignment.

USMCOWL said

It seems like Craig doesnt want to try and get to a conference that could play in a BCS game.

What gives you that impression?  Or the impression that this conference would get a shot to play in a BCS game, for that matter?  As currently constituted, the BCS conferences would have zero incentive to let this conference have a bid.  
Back to the top

Craig says he wants the school and the program to excel, but wouldn't you make a push with CUSA, to offer a bid to FAU to join, espically with a new stadium. But he's really been mum on the subject.
Back to the top

I know we're all quick to judge especially when we don't hear anything. We're all anxious and want some good news, but like him or not, we can't say Angelos isn't doing anything unless we know that for sure. Like I said in one of the other threads, for all we know he can be lobbying the powers that be in C-USA to extend us an offer or maybe he's got a connection who is keeping him abreast of the situation and what's going to happen next. Honestly, we have no idea. Just because nothing has come out about it doesn't mean he's not working on something

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Many folks on several Confrence realignment boards have brought up the fact that having both FAU and FIU makes more sense then just one.

Probably the BIGGEST reason is travel partner to save costs on non football/olympic sports

You fly into WPB airport on Wednesday. Play FAU on Thursday, bus down to Miami. Play FIU on Saturday, bus back to WPB and fly out on Sunday.

One airfare instead of 2.

IF FIU gets the nod over FAU then I agree with LM77. It would be a blow to our reputation as it would seem that they have leap frogged us. I think they will pull the trigger on both though.

As to if CUSA is MUCH better then the 'Belt that is very open for Debate. It is BETTER but not by much anymore.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

As to if CUSA is MUCH better then the 'Belt that is very open for Debate. It is BETTER but not by much anymore.

Until bowl agreements change, C-USA is a better move. Look at WKU this year. 7 wins and because the belt only has 2 guarantee tie-ins they get left out of the equation. I believe it was last year or the year before when Troy had 7 or 8 wins and they got left out of a bowl game because the Belt didn't have enough tie-ins. C-USA in that aspect makes a lot more sense. If you win 7 games in that conference you're going to end up in a bowl game

Back to the top

I may be the only one though, but I think the Belt should have been picked over MWC, to be absorbed, but that is my opinion. The Belt had three bowl teams, and MWC had I think two. Also its a definite cheaper travel cost. 
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I may be the only one though, but I think the Belt should have been picked over MWC, to be absorbed, but that is my opinion. The Belt had three bowl teams, and MWC had I think two. Also its a definite cheaper travel cost.

Oh definitely! I think that would've made the most sense. UNT has an instant rival with UTEP, or even Rice UAB/Troy SoBama/SoMiss

Obviously the list goes on and on but this would've made the most sense. The Belt isn't as bad as used to be or as bad as the rep that it gets. The conference had a pretty strong regular season, except for us  :-\ and like you said sent 3 teams to bowls, should've been 4 had WKU not been screwed

Back to the top

It's going to come down to $$$. I believe CUSA has more bowls, and better pay out for them. If we can join a conference where we can control travel cost by playing most of your away games against the east division, then it would make sense. It also comes to mind the lease that FAU must pay for the stadium. Personally I would gladly pay to see teams such as Southern Miss and E. Carolina, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno State and Air Force, instead of Middle T, and the Louisiana sisters. I think the casual football fan not associated with the University would agree.  I would welcome this move if the money make sense.

Back to the top

I would love to see East Carolina play FAU. I was station in North Carolina, and they love football as much as we do.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I would love to see East Carolina play FAU. I was station in North Carolina, and they love football as much as we do.

That is one of the outcomes I am hoping for as well.  My brother in law is an Asst. AD at ECU and I have old friends that live in the area.

Go Pirates..unless they are playing FAU.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: