Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

COUNTDOWN to 2015 Football Season

The big guys always get the pub, so posting this in honor of Bierman, from a 2011 practice - his highlight catch!

Back to the top

I have a similar "left too early" story for that game.

I try to bring as many new people to the games as I can hoping they'll become fans. In this case it was a fellow FAU student who had an interest in the NFL so I thought he'd enjoy. By the beginning of the second half he was getting antsy and, much to my irritation because I have never left an FAU game early in my life, convinced me to leave the game at that same point.

Drove home listening to the radio and slapping the wheel every time we did well.

I've subsequently attended other "big" FAU games with him since then… but never drove him again and never will since he usually peters out in the 3rd quarter.

Getting me all nostalgic. My Top 10 Most memorable non-bowl FAU games (in no order) include
  1. that 55-50 overtime win vs FIU
  2. the Lockhart Shuffle game vs… ULM?
  3. the Wyoming at Lockhart game (because we were so full of ourselves that they would wilt in the heat… and then we did)
  4. the first (?) game at UF with Rusty
  5. the USF game at Lockhart
  6. last season's blowout of Tulsa
  7. the Minnesota upset
  8. the "hail Mary" loss at MTSU
  9. the loss to Michigan State when it rained the entire game
  10. the time we beat Troy and Onar Haugabook (that was his name, right?) to get to our first bowl game

I came into FAU football in 2007 hence the list doesn't include the Hawaii game, etc. It was perfect timing to get hooked on the team.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Getting me all nostalgic. My Top 10 Most memorable non-bowl FAU games (in no order) include
  1. that 55-50 overtime win vs FIU
  2. the Lockhart Shuffle game vs… ULM?
  3. the Wyoming at Lockhart game (because we were so full of ourselves that they would wilt in the heat… and then we did)
  4. the first (?) game at UF with Rusty
  5. the USF game at Lockhart
  6. last season's blowout of Tulsa
  7. the Minnesota upset
  8. the "hail Mary" loss at MTSU
  9. the loss to Michigan State when it rained the entire game
  10. the time we beat Troy and Onar Haugabook (that was his name, right?) to get to our first bowl game

I came into FAU football in 2007 hence the list doesn't include the Hawaii game, etc. It was perfect timing to get hooked on the team.
Posted On: Jun 16th 2015, 9:49 AM #346133

Those are all worthy of mention as is the Hawaii game you touched on.  The 2003 run in the playoffs and the first DI win vs MTSU are also worthy.

I will touch on the very first game in history. Many on here know the story, but for the newer fan base, I think it is worthy to perpetuate a sense of history because we have little history.  That was the idea for the countdown.  

We all got impatient with the stadium and will again with the academic center.  Imagine what it was like to hear the announcement that we were getting football and then having to wait 3 years until we played a game.

For the inaugural game in 2001, we chose Slippery Rock to bring in so we could get a “W” in our first game.  The problem was we didn’t get all of the proper paperwork completed in time and something like 20 players were declared ineligible to play in that first game. We got crushed by Slippery Rock.
We got the issues resolved for the next game.

A side story of the first game that many have not heard is regarding the starting QB for game.  Two QBs, Garrett Jahn, and Jared Allen were so close in talent in practice that Howard decided the first starting QB in history would be determined by a coin toss.  Jahn won the toss and started the game.  At halftime, they decided to go with Allen in the second half and continued as the starter throughout the season.  Jared Allen went on to become one of the most beloved Owls in FAU history.  Both Jahn and Allen remain good friends to this day.

Back to the top

Don't forget the MTSU win in 2003 - Jared Allen to Rosie Bynes as time expires for the Owls' first victory against a Division I-A team!

Bynes caught six passes for 126 yards and two touchdowns, which included the game-winner.

Back to the top

80 days until FAU Football kicks off!

Some former Owls to wear #80: Darion Howard, and Amos Wood.

Howard was a TE from Waverly, Iowa (Cedar Rapids HS). Transferred from University of Northern Iowa.  In 2013, played in 11 games, his best being 5 catches against MTSU that year.

Wood was a WR from Davie (Hollywood Hills HS). All-County in HS. Saw action in 2 games in 2009.

Lestar Jean was #80 early in his career, but will save him until #3.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Wood was a WR from Davie (Hollywood Hills HS). All-County in HS.Saw action in 2 games in 2009.

Yeah whatever happened to him? Transferred?

Wasn't he a 3-star WR and kind of a big deal when we got him? 
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

fauowl said

Wood was a WR from Davie (Hollywood Hills HS). All-County in HS.Saw action in 2 games in 2009.

Yeah whatever happened to him? Transferred?

Wasn't he a 3-star WR and kind of a big deal when we got him? 

Posted On: Jun 17th 2015, 11:23 AM #346148

Academics.

He's now a landscaper.

Message, stay in school and do well at it!

Back to the top

Since we're in a nostalgic mood, here's my top 5 non-bowl FAU memorable moments:
1) The first game in the stadium against WKU. Even though we lost the game, it was clearly the best football atmosphere at a home game in the stadium through my tenure as a student and a glimpse into what FAU can bring in the future. I'll never forget that day.

2) The Wagner game in 2012. Great student atmosphere and a lot of optimism at the beginning of the Pelini era. And that was an incredible night period lol

3) Alfred Morris dominating the UAB defense in 2011 for our only win of the season. When taking into account he's now an NFL All-Pro, you really appreciate the significance of that moment. Also Schnelly's last W.

4) The blowout of Tulsa this past year.

5) Shula Bowl 2012. Although it was a loss, what. a. night. 

A lot of this is based on personal experience as a student with the exception of #4. College was a good time what can I say?
Back to the top

79 days until FAU Football kicks off!

Some former Owls who wore #79: Kevin Ketchum, Jarrett McDonald, and Jordan Sessa.

Ketchum was a OL from Miami (Palmetto HS). Excelled on the OL in the inaugural season but was injured half way through the season. In the playoff season of 2003, saw action in 13 of 14 games. Solidified a line that saw the Owls ranked #2 nationally in passing efficiency and a QB ranked #4 nationally.

McDonald was a OL from Orlando (Flanagan HS). Played in 7 games in 2006 as he filled several spots due to injury. Traveled with the team to the New Orleans Bowl.

Sessa was a OL from Fort Lauderdale (South Broward HS). Traveled with the team to the Motor City Bowl as a redshirt. Tore his ACL in spring of 2010 but bounced back and was named to Phil Steele's preseason all SBC team for 2011.

Photo of Sessa:

Jordan Sessa FAU
Back to the top

fauowl said

Sessa was a OL from Fort Lauderdale (South Broward HS)…
Posted On: Jun 18th 2015, 7:56 AM #346157

Ah, the good ole days of being able to go to practices and have some fun!

Shot of Sessa from 2011 Spring Practice…

Back to the top
Control functions: