Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Desired Bowl Game Scenario

faufan300 said

I check on all the bowl projections whenever they come out. Before we are always mentioned for the Bahamas bowl, but now I have seen  us in the Independence bowl against FSU,  Gasparilla Bowl against SMU, and First Responders bowl against Ohio.  The week before I saw us in the First Responders bowl agains TCU.  I also saw a match-up with Cincinnati in the Boca Raton bowl as well somewhere. I would love if we played a TCU,  the FSU game would be fun but a loss can setback the season.  If we can win the CUSA title and become 10-3 I think we should go to the best bowl with the best exposure against a quality opponent.  I don't want to play UCF again either, part of building our brand sort of like a Boise we need to play different opponents in different bowl games.  Its weird to say I would rather play a TCU as opposed to a SDSU, MW teams play hard.  I think the guys deserve to get rewarded and traveling is a great way to get that done. What is a good dream match-up for us in a bowl game>
Posted On: Nov 25th 2019, 10:53 AM #391127

FSU - beat them while their down. Plus it would make for a great boys weekend trip with my FSU buddies (assuming the games on the weekend).
Back to the top

Maybe someone can take the lead and start posting them here on a regular basis?

:cool:
Back to the top

There are lots of other projections out there, but here is a taste of what some "experts" are saying for Week #13:

Source FAU Matchup Other C-USA Games My Take
Stadium - Brett McMurphy App State in New Orleans Marshall vs Ok State
FIU vs UCF
La Tech vs Miami
So Miss vs TCU
UAB vs Cincy
WKU vs Nevada
Charlotte vs Buffalo
Great match-up in terms of the game, but not good in terms of exposure vs other C-USA teams
247 Sports Ohio in Bahamas Marshall vs Buffalo
FIU vs Tulane
La Tech vs App State
So Miss vs Nevada
UAB vs Cincy
WKU vs UCF
Charlotte vs W. Michigan
UAB and La Tech would get the only possible ranked teams; blah matchup and poor exposure for us
ESPN - Schlabach SMU in Gasparilla Marshall vs UCF
FIU vs Tulane
La Tech vs UNC
So Miss vs Wyoming
UAB vs App State
WKU vs Ohio
Charlotte vs San Diego State
Good AAC matchup, but I'd rather play a weak ACC school (UNC)
ESPN - Bonagura FSU in Independence Marshall vs TCU
FIU vs SMU
La Tech vs Nevada
So Miss vs E. Michigan
UAB vs Navy
WKU vs App State
Charlotte vs Temple
Of all the projections, the biggest opportunity to make a splash
CBS Sports - Jerry Palm Ohio in First Responder Marshall vs Air Force
FIU vs SMU
La Tech vs Cincy
So Miss vs App State
UAB vs San Diego State
WKU vs W. Michigan
Charlotte vs North Carolina
FIU and La Tech get AAC schools and Charlotte gets UNC; blah matchup and poor exposure for us (but better than playing the same team in the Bahamas Bowl)

Back to the top

owlsdad said

There are lots of other projections out there, but here is a taste of what some "experts" are saying:
Posted On: Nov 25th 2019, 9:45 PM #391141

:Scared: :Silly:  :Smug:  :Laughing:  :cool:  :Big-Grin:

You're hired!

:Yawn:
Back to the top

SMU match up is good. Gasparilla is close to home.

FSU is a good match up and the Independence Bowl looks to payout a lot more. That could afford us to bring the band. Is there a CUSA tie to this bowl?

I went back and looked, In 2017 CUSA 8-4 Southern Miss lost to ACC 6-6 FSU. 42-17. Payout - $1.47M.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Clearly we have to win Saturday and then win the C-USA championship, but in my opinion it will take beating an ACC, Big 12, or ranked AAC (or App St) team to get anywhere close  to being ranked ourselves.  If we don’t play a bowl game against the biggest name available there is no shot.  I would rather lose to one of them in a big payout game than beat a MAC team in an early bowl.

We should also pull hard for UCF and Marshall to win out to make our resume look as good as possible.

Side note: App St is ranked and might be 12-1 heading to their bowl, and they are being picked for some relatively lesser games. I guess that is based on where people think the SunBelt wants them to go. A 10-3 FAU vs a 12-1 ranked App might be pretty good.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Clearly we have to win Saturday and then win the C-USA championship, but in my opinion it will take beating an ACC, Big 12, or ranked AAC (or App St) team to get anywhere close  to being ranked ourselves.  If we don’t play a bowl game against the biggest name available there is no shot.  I would rather lose to one of them in a big payout game than beat a MAC team in an early bowl.

We should also pull hard for UCF and Marshall to win out to make our resume look as good as possible.

Side note: App St is ranked and might be 12-1 heading to their bowl, and they are being picked for some relatively lesser games. I guess that is based on where people think the SunBelt wants them to go. A 10-3 FAU vs a 12-1 ranked App might be pretty good.
Posted On: Nov 26th 2019, 6:49 AM #391144

Couldn’t agree more. We need to have a good W in a bowl to have a chance to be ranked. Also I would like the matchup against app state, and pair that with a trip to New Orleans. Sign me up. When we won the conference in 2017 I would have preferred the game against Troy that UNT got. That would have been another great match up
Back to the top

App St. scares me. I'd rather beat a P5 as it would obviously give a bump to the imagine and recruiting. I'm guessing, but don't we only have one victory over a P5 team? And that was like 10 years ago……
Back to the top

I wonder if the any of the bowl projections from various experts expect us to win the conference and I wonder if that would even effect the projections. As we saw in 2017 there isn’t much reward for winning conference USA. Honestly the G5 bowl tie ins are atrocious but that could be its own thread. 

I’d like to see an App St in New Orleans or an ACC team (I suspect FSU has enough pull to dodge us in a bowl if need be) in Tampa. A P5 opponent would be awesome because there is less to lose more to gain. Historically FAU hasn’t played underdog very well but it makes the matchup interesting.
Back to the top

It ESPN wants a made for tv event which all these games are for. Just find a place for FAU vs Tennessee
Back to the top
Control functions: