Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU; An A for disappointment.

Now that I'm back from the place where they claim everything is bigger, I will take the liberty of grading our beloved Owls on their performance:  I give the offense an C-. They moved the ball well in the first quarter, but to many mental mistakes and 0 running game. The Special Teams I will give a D+, They were two indecisive on kick returns, had a blocked punt that even we fans called before it happened, why couldnt they? But the kick coverage teams did a decent job. And for the Defense, where do I start? They have a solid F only because there is not a grade lower that they could have earned in our grading system. They have no leader, played with no heart, look like they were cemented in their stances, had 0 pass rush and our DEs should be turned into D-tackles as they can't even contain this 260lb boy. Their performance was embarrasing!! The guys who got in in the 4th quarter looked a lot better as they did in the spring and fall scrimmages. They were quicker and played with more intensity/focus. I give the coaching staff a D, only because the offense did move the ball in the first half. The mistakes / mental errors can be corrected. But other than that,  I saw no adjustments made and it appeared that they quit / gave up midway the 3rd quarter by benching Rusty. It also appeared that they were unwilling to give other players opportunity, when it counted, when it was obvious those ahead of them were not getting the job done. So all in all, in my humble opinion, the whole of Owl football warrants an A for disappointment in week 1. But there is light at the end of the day. It was game 1, it was Texas and we, well we still have hope.

Back to the top

Re: FAU; An A for disappointment.

Sounds right.  But lets not be fairweather fans…there are some inklings of that floating in the air.  One bad loss and lets abandon ship.  We had 3 blowout losses last year, and I think everyone can agree that last year was amazing.  We got our hopes up, sure, but it was all we had to think about all off season…  Lets move forward and win whats on our schedule from here on out.

GO OWLS! TAME THE BLAZE!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Ditto Hootyhoot -

I am not a football expert but I thought last night's game was the worst Owl's game I have ever witnessed - not sure if -  my expectations were too high, the 98,000 people and hype got to the players, Coach S's  "SOFT" quote hanging in the Texas locker room motivated the wrong team,  ???. Texas's offense looked flawless  -  aren't you suppose to TRY to stop the player you are covering from running or catching the ball - I sure did not see much of that last night - quite frankly it was embarrassingly bad  - our pass defense looked like they had never played those positions before - don't they play 7's in the summer ??  Don't care whose fault it was, but if we expect to repeat, much less win a game this season,  someone needs to be held accountable and fix it. If you can't get the job done, find someone who can.  The defense can't expect year after year that the offense will pick up their pieces. Am I mad after last night's game  - heck ya - and our team better be as well ! We had a grest opportunity to earn more respect and we failed miserably.
Back to the top

FAU; An A for disappointment.

No fair weather fan here as I'm making plans for the next two away games. I'm a realist. I did not expect to win, hoped to if things fell our way, but didn't expect to. What I didn't expect was to see such a lack luster performance. The truth be told, Texas players were not all that much better than what we put on the field. The question is, why didn't we perform better?  The performace of the D and the coaches inability or unwillingness to make adjustments concerns me. After all, The Voice stated that these games are no longer "advance training games. Therefore I expect to see us competing. We did not compete!! But I'll leave it there. Week 2 is upon us and though I'm sure we will prevail, UAB is not the measure for a team who wants to take the next step into big time college football. Hopefully we will have worked through the glaring issue we have on D and compete better against Michigan ST. If not, its the NO Bowl again and don't get me wrong, I'll take that over the ST. Pete, Papa John's bowl or no bowl any day.
Back to the top

Hootyhoot - I wasn't referring to you at all…I thought your analysis was completely fair…on other posts it seems like chicken little and the sky is falling.  So we lost to Texas. Big deal, lets move on and win some games.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

One good thing to take from the game:

We gave up ZERO sacks!

That is something to be proud of :)
Back to the top

Hootyhoot said

No fair weather fan here as I'm making plans for the next two away games. I'm a realist. I did not expect to win, hoped to if things fell our way, but didn't expect to. What I didn't expect was to see such a lack luster performance. The truth be told, Texas players were not all that much better than what we put on the field. The question is, why didn't we perform better?  The performace of the D and the coaches inability or unwillingness to make adjustments concerns me. After all, The Voice stated that these games are no longer "advance training games. Therefore I expect to see us competing. We did not compete!! But I'll leave it there. Week 2 is upon us and though I'm sure we will prevail, UAB is not the measure for a team who wants to take the next step into big time college football. Hopefully we will have worked through the glaring issue we have on D and compete better against Michigan ST. If not, its the NO Bowl again and don't get me wrong, I'll take that over the ST. Pete, Papa John's bowl or no bowl any day.
Don't bank on the NO Bowl. You showed some points for people to expose inn future games.

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

SeminOwl its not the lost that has people worried, it's the manner in which we lost. I believe that we will be fine as well. Just expected better from a team that has so much promise. Heck, maybe they started to believe their press clippings and felt that all they had to do was show up. If that was the case, then the butt whopping they just received should serve as an eye opener and hopefully they will get to work.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

One good thing to take from the game:

We gave up ZERO sacks!

That is something to be proud of :)

That was HUGE. Our makeshift O-line held up very well. Now we need to get the running game going. We can't be a one-trick pony going into the UAB game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Well I think the coaches in the sunbelt already knew of our weaknesses. Heck we gave up over 30 points a game last year. So if our opponents coaches are smarter than we bloggers, I'm sure they will be preparing without the input of Hootyhoot.
Back to the top
Control functions: