Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football in the Polls

We didn't get enough help – probably going to come up just a tad short. Hope I am wrong.
Back to the top

I don't think we make it either as several close wins in that 20-25 range hurt as did CUSA "losing" the final 3 bowl games. Our league mates DID NOT LOOK GOOD!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I don't think we make it either as several close wins in that 20-25 range hurt as did CUSA "losing" the final 3 bowl games. Our league mates DID NOT LOOK GOOD!
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 8:29 PM #376027

It's not looking good. For whatever perplexing reason, we get a lot more love in the Coach's poll than the AP Poll. It seems we should make the Coach's poll but it's not certain. And the AP poll looks really tough. A couple things to watch. Does 19th ranked Memphis fall out? Does Michigan or South Carolina pass us. Stanford with 2 straight losses and 5 losses overall will probably stay in. It's a shame bc the AP poll has more stature.
Back to the top

Even if we don't make it, we will garner significant votes and certainly be in the "top 30" – an unbelievable achievement.  That Buffalo loss will hurt, but then you have to wonder if this team goes on the roll it did without that Buffalo learning experience.
Back to the top

Too many people vote with perception, and us buzz-sawing C-USA and then having a less-than-compelling opponent in our bowl game will do us no favors.  Not getting in will also keep us out to start next season, but we should be close in the pre-season polls.  A good showing against Oklahoma won't hurt, but short of pulling a major upset we won't get in even next year unless we go 3-1 OOC.

Hope I am wrong, but if we don't make it the coaches can use that for motivation.  And because it is all about money, they may throw us in there at #25 at least for the pre-season polls so Oklahoma can have a ranked opponent for ratings/rankings.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

GeorgiaOwl said

It's not looking good. For whatever perplexing reason, we get a lot more love in the Coach's poll than the AP Poll. It seems we should make the Coach's poll but it's not certain. And the AP poll looks really tough. A couple things to watch. Does 19th ranked Memphis fall out? Does Michigan or South Carolina pass us. Stanford with 2 straight losses and 5 losses overall will probably stay in. It's a shame bc the AP poll has more stature.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 8:59 PM #376035

Memphis with 2 losses since poll as well! And good news is Michigan and SC play each other - only one can win at least.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Even if we don't make it, we will garner significant votes and certainly be in the "top 30" – an unbelievable achievement.  That Buffalo loss will hurt, but then you have to wonder if this team goes on the roll it did without that Buffalo learning experience.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 9:23 PM #376037
I think Navy losing it at the end (lost 5 of 6 last game - but WON cowl game!) hurts even more, not ranked like they should have been. The Wisconsin win over the U last night helps though, lost close AT a top 5 team!

Teams we lost to were 2-0 in bowls, teams we beat were 3-3 in bowls for an overall 5-3 for all bowl teams we played. We were 6-2 vs. the same teams. Not bad Owls!:cool:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

jgf2017 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 8:59 PM #376035

Memphis with 2 losses since poll as well! And good news is Michigan and SC play each other - only one can win at least.
Posted On: Dec 31st 2017, 12:58 PM #376045

Michigan and SC will each have at least 6 wins against P5. We have zero.  I think our biggest problem is our best win is against Marshall, listed #82 in the power rankings.  The good news is we will begin next year ranked higher than ever before. usually we start ranked about 100 so the climb is impossible.  If we start out around 30 and a miracle happens in OK or we perform well, then who knows. For us to have the UCF type year we need to beat ranked teams and beat everyone else by 50.
Back to the top

Not one the the regular (official) polls, but here is a ink to one Coach K posted;

130-team college football S&P+ rankings: The more things change ... - SBNation.com

NUMBER 11!!!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Not one the the regular (official) polls, but here is a ink to one Coach K posted;

130-team college football S&P+ rankings: The more things change ... - SBNation.com

NUMBER 11!!!!!!!
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2018, 3:51 PM #376060

That's sweet. We are deserving of a high ranking. All things considered UCF winning was good for us, even though we don't have the longest win streak. We control our destiny there  :Laughing: And it's looking relatively safe for us to be 25th in the AP Poll and Coach's Poll unless something crazy happens and a P5 team comes out of nowhere to jump us, which wouldn't be the biggest surprise. Definitely holding my breath about the Arizona opening, hire Sumlin.
Back to the top
Control functions: