Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Michigan in 2007????

just read in a newspaper up here in Michigan that the Wolverines may schedule FAU for 2007… interesting!

they are also in talks with Troy, Pitt and NC
Back to the top

That would be awesome!! Playing UMich and UF in 2007. My dad is an alum from UMich and my brother is going to UF so that would be cool!
Back to the top

Michigan in 2007 would make the hill even steeper. I think most, if not all, of this future schedule data has been posted. But just in case it hasn't, here's what one of the futures sites shows for the Owls:

FLORIDA ATLANTIC FOOTBALL FUTURE SCHEDULES

9-8 @ Oklahoma State
9-15 Minnesota
9-22 @ Kentucky
11-17 @ Florida

9-13 @ Michigan State
9-20 @ Minnesota

2009 [nothing listed]

9-11 Michigan State

9-3 @ Florida
9-10 @ Michigan State

Back to the top

Has anyone heard anymore about this.

That would make for a one hell of a schedule.
Back to the top

Personally, I disagree with our scheduling tactics. I think winning is more important to building a program, than playing opponents that are well beyond our current capabilities. Also, I think having more than 4 home games a season is important for building support in the community. UCF and Troy tried the darn-near impossible scheduling. Where did it get them? Young, upstart FAU can play with them right now.

Three home and home with mid-majors or lower-tier BCS conference teams each year seems more appropriate. Wyoming, Vanderbilt, and Indiana come to mind. That still leaves a couple open dates to prove where the program rates with the country's elite.
Back to the top

It got Troy a new stadium, a couple of huge wins (Miss. State and No. 17 Missouri) as well as other facilities upgrades and better coaching salaries.

Troy still does manage 5 home games in most years. This year's schedule has nice payoff games, but more importantly, games that are relatively close for fans and games that are potentially wins - Nebraska, Ga. Tech and FSU. Atlanta and Tallahassee are around three hours from Troy. Then there's a game in state (Birmingham) at UAB, where the Troy fans can outnumber the Blazer faithful.
Back to the top

Missouri and Mississippi State would fit the profile of teams that I think we should be playing. I know we need the payout games, but I also believe we need some wins. I think a 23-17 win over Indiana in southern Florida would mean more than a 38-0 loss in the Big House. Plus we could probably schedule home and home series with teams like that, as opposed to giving up 2 for 1. I'd rather see us go the route of the TCUs and Utahs of the world. Stellar record, questionable competition. Strength of schedule can be addressed later.
Back to the top

I think our Big 12 games have also met the profile, except we are not getting a home and home with any of them. The real challenge is how do you make a home game as profitable as a single date in the Big House. It seems to me that we are looking to put ourselves on the map with that one big upset, rather than using what I think is the real answer, winning consistently. Why 2 for 1 with Oklahoma State? Why not a home and home with Baylor?
Back to the top

Baylor, Southern Miss, UAB and the likes of teams we consider mid-majors consider us little tykes and will not give us home and home series.

Beat one of these guys and it gets even harder to schedule decent home games. They might, might come to your house once in two or three games, but if they think you can beat them, they'll run like hell to the nearest I-AA they can find.

A week after Troy beat No. 17 Mizzou at home on national TV, Iowa State backed out of its contract to travel to Troy the following year (2005). Troy had to scrounge to fill the opening game, finally shipping Cal-Poly (a very tough I-AA team) to Alabama.

Iowa State lied like hell to anyone who would listen, saying it had tried and tried to find a I-A opponent, before scheduling Illinois State, which it defeated. If it really wanted a I-A opponent, all it had to do was keep its promise with Troy. BTW, the Cyclones were rumored to have paid a $150,000 penalty to get out of the game.

Here's a quote on the Iowa State Web site from athletic director Bruce Van De Velde regarding the game scheduling:

"It was important to us to get another home game for our fans and our community," Van De Velde said. "We looked at a lot of scheduling options to get a Division I-A opponent, including playing a road game. Ultimately, it came down to making sure we had another home game. A Cyclone home game brings people into Ames from all over the state and beyond."

So much for promises and contracts. Losers.
Back to the top

I remember when Troy spoiled it for everyone in Mizzou.. ;D

They also made D1-A teams look at potential D1-AA match-ups and reconsider some games.
Back to the top
Control functions: