Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs Navy Opening Line: THREE Touchdowns

Moving from 122 to 94 would be a difference, probably enough to get 2 or 3 more wins.  A lot of almost games in the past, those 28 spots in defensive rankings would be a stop or 2 on defense.  Cheer up, it's ok to have just a little bit of optimism in the preseason.  You can crap on the team after the first game if necessary.
Back to the top

There is a  difference said

Moving from 122 to 94 would be a difference, probably enough to get 2 or 3 more wins.  A lot of almost games in the past, those 28 spots in defensive rankings would be a stop or 2 on defense.  Cheer up, it's ok to have just a little bit of optimism in the preseason.  You can crap on the team after the first game if necessary.
Posted On: Aug 8th 2017, 11:27 AM #369794

No much of a difference….FAU was at #124 giving up 514 yards per game…..Rutgers was at #94 giving up 451 and was playing a tougher schedule than we were…..South Alabama, who probably had a similar sched to ours was at #50 with 384 per….

I'm not crapping on our team….I'm just saying we have to be realistic about the expectations we should have…..Kiff is going to do great things, but give him a few real recruiting classes and a couple of seasons to really get things moving…..I read things like 10-1, winning CUSA, etc…..that's crazy to expect those things from a guy that hasn't even coached his first game here yet…..I think Kiff was a monumental pick up for FAU, but let's not go crazy on the timeline…..

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

We lost 5 games by 6 points or less.  2 games by 4 or less (one was a 2 point loss).  Giving up 60 less yards per game would be 1 to 3 more wins.  We win against FIU if we gave up 60 less yards in that game.
Back to the top

Just to play devil's advocate, South Florida was ranked 120 and they finished 11-2.

Bottom line:

We just need to outscore everyone.

Truly believe our defense will be better than last year…just how much better is up for grabs, but could see our average falling from 39.8 ppg to around 30 ppg, which would put us in the low 80's.
Back to the top

Rick said

Just to play devil's advocate, South Florida was ranked 120 and they finished 11-2.

Bottom line:

We just need to outscore everyone.

Truly believe our defense will be better than last year…just how much better is up for grabs, but could see our average falling from 39.8 ppg to around 30 ppg, which would put us in the low 80's.

Posted On: Aug 8th 2017, 12:14 PM #369797

A good offense also makes for a good defense. 
Back to the top

FAU lost 4 games last year in which we lead at half and failed to score 6 points or more in the 2nd half.

Just look at the last two time we played ODU both times we held double digit leads and blew them. In 2015 we held on, but still these types of games just show that the talent gap between us and 10 win ODU isn't that far off.
Back to the top

I would point out that if the offense is anywhere close to as good as many expect, that ***could*** prove tough for the defense to have big gains strictly in terms of rankings.  It doesn't mean the defense won't be a whole lot better, but if you have an offense that goes really fast and scores, but doesn't necessarily eat clock, you could have some pretty poor defensive statistics.  The USF example is a good one - their defense gave up tons of yards and tons of points in part (my opinion) because they were on the field so much due to their explosive offense either scoring quickly or having a bunch of 3 to 6 play (2 or less minute) drives.  I went to USF vs Navy game last season and USF beat the Midshipman like crazy all game and still almost lost - if there were 5 more minutes in the game not sure Navy wouldn't have stolen it.

All indications are there is plenty of talent at the RB position, so to me the real determination ends up being QB and offensive line play to be able to score when we need to, and enough defensive improvement to hold the other guys on some crucial 2nd half drives.  Playing a triple-option team always sucks for the defense if the guys are not ready to play their assignment.  So FAU better score.

I am new to FAU, and as an outsider I am still somewhat neutral with expectations.  I would expect lots more excitement, bigger crowds, a few more wins, and basically a positive arrow for the immediate future.  A bowl-eligible season given when this staff came in would seem like a good season.  Getting 7 or 8 would be above expectations and a great thing.  Anything over that would seem like luck is shining down and all the bounces go the Owls' way.
Back to the top

There is a  difference said

Posted On: Aug 8th 2017, 11:27 AM #369794

Agreed! Our D was awful last year under Coach Roc and whatever "scheme" he taught and used. here is a stat that shows how bad our pass D was. We were also dead last in CUSA in passes "defended" with only 25. The NEXT lowest was North Texas at 35 and the top two were WKU and MTSU with 69 and 67! we were not even chalanging for balls and made it SO EASY for every opponent!

THAT will NOT be the case under these Coaches as we have seen all through camp. 3 or 4 more DEFECTED passes wilL end drives and give the ball back to OUR O. Not even talking about picks, just knock the frigging ball down or out of the receivers hands and GET OFF THE FIELD!
Back to the top

@Owldad….I think you are starting to be an Owl fan at the right time. You aren't damaged emotionally  like most of us. I have high hopes. But I am still very careful not to get too high. I know this is a totally different staff with lots of new players. I am going to show up expecting what history has proven. But I hope Kiffen and company shocks the world.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Owldad….I think you are starting to be an Owl fan at the right time. You aren't damaged emotionally  like most of us. I have high hopes. But I am still very careful not to get too high. I know this is a totally different staff with lots of new players. I am going to show up expecting what history has proven. But I hope Kiffen and company shocks the world.
Posted On: Aug 8th 2017, 4:41 PM #369805

For sure OwlDad. Has been a rough 10 years, bout time we got serious! We have 30K seats to sell!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: