Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs Oklahoma Line Announced

No surprise here the Owls 2018 opener opens at -21 in favor of the Sooners.

Seems about right…I know some folks think we have a shot in this one, but look, we are likely starting over at some key spots on offense.

New QB
New Line (almost)

It is going to take a while to gel.

Personally would be happy with a result like Wisconsin 31-14.

Not being negative, just being realistic…

IF Driskel returns and he is the starter, we could very well pick up almost where we left off and make it a relatively close game.

Just not banking on that occurring.

We'll see though, Spring will be here soon enough.
Back to the top

The public will bet this down.

Writers will have us as the sexy upset pick and people will buy it.

Back to the top

Not sure we will be talked about for the upset.  The Sooners are starting in the top-5 in most polls, and FAU will probably be in the "others receiving votes" category.  I agree that a good showing and a respectable score (similar to Wisconsin) would be good.  We know we can be explosive on offense and the Big 12 is not known as a defensive league by any stretch of the imagination.  So we probably score more than we did against the Badgers, but Oklahoma probably does the same to us, too.

I do expect a better showing than we had in the Navy game to kick-off next year.
Back to the top

I don't buy into the notion that we're going to take a few early season games to play at a high level. Yes there is a new OC (which the Weis hire is brilliant by the way) and several new offensive starters. But we still return around 16 starters. There are teams that have lost what we've lost and started the season playing brilliantly. I think the reason we started slowly last season was because it was Kiffin's first year and players were getting used to the new regime. Also, coming off of some bad seasons didn't inspire confidence coming out of the gates. Come game day, there will be a lot of people expecting us to give OU a good game, and anything can happen. They have a bad defense and a lot of new faces on offense, including QB and LT.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

There are teams that have lost what we've lost and started the season playing brilliantly.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 11:24 AM #376410

I'm just curious who (at our level of play) you are referring to?

To illustrate my point, would offer a quick look at WKU, Marshall, and LaTech this past season.

Picking up right where we left off at 40 PPG with a new QB and three new starters on the OL is a stretch, but 100% hope you are right!

Back to the top

Teams that come to mind, Nebraska had at least one season, in 1995, when they had to replace 4 on the OL. I don't view teams like WKU and Marshall being on our level. At this point we've become a national story, the Weis hiring was on ESPN.com. It was unfathomable to think in the past that our OC hire would be national headlines, so things are changing, and were already a leading contender for the G5 New Years 6 birth. Admittedly were not '95 Nebraska. But we have a run heavy offense. I'm not worried about our offense against OU, it's about about our defense.
Back to the top

Where have you seen that we are a contender for G5 New Years 6 birth? I haven't seen that.  I think it is important that we do not let one year get to our heads and that we have plently to improve on especially that KB is gone now.

Go owls!
Back to the top

UCF is ranked in the "way too early" polls - so are some other G5 teams.  Play well against Oklahoma and upset UCF and then we might be considered a contender for being a top G5 team.

I know we are all really excited about last year, the guys we have back, and the coverage the program is now getting.  But let's beat somebody of note before we start loosely comparing how we should start the season to a 90s Nebraska team or we start thinking about bowl games that happen later than December 21st much less New Year's Day.

We should be really good - but we have to prove if we are C-USA good or elite G5 good more than just running over what I thought was a down conference and an over-matched bowl opponent this past season.  I truly hope we are.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I don't buy into the notion that we're going to take a few early season games to play at a high level. Yes there is a new OC (which the Weis hire is brilliant by the way) and several new offensive starters. But we still return around 16 starters. There are teams that have lost what we've lost and started the season playing brilliantly. I think the reason we started slowly last season was because it was Kiffin's first year and players were getting used to the new regime. Also, coming off of some bad seasons didn't inspire confidence coming out of the gates. Come game day, there will be a lot of people expecting us to give OU a good game, and anything can happen. They have a bad defense and a lot of new faces on offense, including QB and LT.
The left tackle that will replace him is a top 4 LT in the country.
We will have three new interior olinemen and its100000 times harder for us to replace that.

Bad D lol
Yea they gave up point to top offences in the country, but OU D was really young last year and will be improved.

As great as a season we had we did not beat a team in the top 60.
We have a 1 percent chance of winning that game.
Let's focus on beating Airforce
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

jgf2017 said

The left tackle that will replace him is a top 4 LT in the country.
We will have three new interior olinemen and its100000 times harder for us to replace that.

Bad D lol
Yea they gave up point to top offences in the country, but OU D was really young last year and will be improved.

As great as a season we had we did not beat a team in the top 60.
We have a 1 percent chance of winning that game.
Let's focus on beating Airforce

Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 3:46 PM #376426

Agreed. Our focus should be Airforce, the entire conference schedule, and possibly upsetting UCF.
Back to the top
Control functions: