Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FEARLESS PREDICTIONS: FAU vs SIU

I fearlessly predict the Owls will win by more than 1 point. That's all I'm willing to say now without getting my hopes extremely high. Lot of changes since last season, and a few recent losses, and I don't know what to expect but a victory.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

I fearlessly predict the Owls will win by more than 1 point. That's all I'm willing to say now without getting my hopes extremely high. Lot of changes since last season, and a few recent losses, and I don't know what to expect but a victory.
Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 2:15 PM #358158

Lol try to curb your enthusiasm.

I too am skeptical of big wins, and a lot of wins (by FAU standards - 6 wins is a lot for us lol).
Back to the top

Personally I will take 6 (or hopefully 7) wins this year. I loved his enthusiasm too! :Big-Grin:

GO OWLS! :cool:
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

owlcountry40 said

FAU is going to get its 1st shut out on campus this weekend.
Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 10:45 AM #358146

I appreciate your confidence in the FAU defense, but you are not being realistic about the SIU offense. The offense was top 5 in FCS in scoring last season. The offense has a history of playing well against FBS opponents. When I say well, I am talking about scoring 47 in the season opener last year against an Indiana team that went on to play in a bowl game.

SIU will run a fast paced offense and tends to do well against spread teams that do not have a dominant run game. SIU has struggled of late with teams that can grind the clock and run the ball. Best key for FAU would be to slow the game down and put up 200+ yards on the ground. I am not confident that the FAU offense is built to do that.

All of this in mind, seems a bit of a stretch to think that FAU will pitch a shutout.

GO OWLS!!!…GO DAWGS!!!
Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 12:49 PM #358151

But didn't they lose their multiple year staring QB who was the main reason for most of the offensive output?  I read it somewhere but I can't remember where.  If that is the case what happened last year is most likely irrelevant.  If anything it's worse because with a 1st year QB in a fast system like they appear to use it makes it even tougher.

I believe FAU dominates in this one, I just have to believe we have better athletes in all positions.

SIL   10
FAU  31

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Read that their new QB was a Division II transfer who threw for a bunch of yards and threw for 11k yards in high school.  He seems small looking at the picture I saw of him, could be a runner.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlfan1 said

owlcountry40 said

FAU is going to get its 1st shut out on campus this weekend.
Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 10:45 AM #358146
I appreciate your confidence in the FAU defense, but you are not being realistic about the SIU offense. The offense was top 5 in FCS in scoring last season. The offense has a history of playing well against FBS opponents. When I say well, I am talking about scoring 47 in the season opener last year against an Indiana team that went on to play in a bowl game.

SIU will run a fast paced offense and tends to do well against spread teams that do not have a dominant run game. SIU has struggled of late with teams that can grind the clock and run the ball. Best key for FAU would be to slow the game down and put up 200+ yards on the ground. I am not confident that the FAU offense is built to do that.

All of this in mind, seems a bit of a stretch to think that FAU will pitch a shutout.

GO OWLS!!!…GO DAWGS!!!
Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 12:49 PM #358151
 But didn't they lose their multiple year staring QB who was the main reason for most of the offensive output?  I read it somewhere but I can't remember where.  If that is the case what happened last year is most likely irrelevant.  If anything it's worse because with a 1st year QB in a fast system like they appear to use it makes it even tougher.

I believe FAU dominates in this one, I just have to believe we have better athletes in all positions.

SIL   10
FAU  31

Posted On: Aug 31st 2016, 5:42 PM #358162
SIU did lose their starting QB who was a huge part of the offense. I just do not think a team goes from great offense to completely unable to put points on the board (as per OC40's suggestion). SIU still has a solid group of RBs and WRs. Historically, the offense has never really been the problem. SIU has always groomed solid QBs and a good system on offense. Question marks have always arisen with the defense. Even with a new QB in place, the defense is likely to be the weak point of the team. Lots of new players on a defense and a need to rebuild. I think your 31-10 is a fair scenario. SIU being shut out or scoring only 3 is very unlikely. You have to go back years to find that occurring to SIU. The last time SIU scored less than 10 points in a game was 2012. They have not been shut out in more than a decade.

Here is a little more info.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/siu-football-preview-new---focus/article_909452ed-1ccf-5cd6-a876-346868d97453.html

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

To the secondary:  Don't bite on the 1st move and give up the long gain.  Keep it in front of you!
Back to the top

Thanks Owlfan,  I didn't realize they have a new DC as well.  We should be able to run on this team which would be great to help Driskal gain some confidence.  I think the additional information supports my previous prediction but I agree with you that we will give up some points partly because it is the first game but our D should be able to hold them to 10.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Does anyone know where this game is being broadcast (i.e. online link, etc.)? I live in Tampa and would like to watch my Owls. I had seen it might be on Conference USA website? I understand you have to pay fro a subscription, and that's fine, but i want to make sure it's on before I spend money. Thanks! Go OWLS!
Back to the top

All of our "non-televised" games are on CUSA.tv…they have a money back policy if you aren't satisfied.

Make sure you book through the conference and not FAU, because if you book through FAU you will NOT get road games.

Don't worry, they asked me to recommend this if it came up as there is no change in revenue for them.

:Winking:
Back to the top
Control functions: