Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Predictions 2018 Week 2: FAU vs Air Force

So finally the sting of the alcohol and the painful defeat has somewhat worn off from Norman. It was tough to take any positives from that game Saturday. The defense looked like we were taken back in time to the days of Roc. I believe if we don't  see improvement from the defense quickly FAU will fail to defend the C-USA crown. Now we have the triple option coming to town, but luckily they don't have Rodney Anderson, and Kyler Muray.

I would like to Robison get the start because there is a lot of talent there, but if he falters early they need to make a quick switch to Johnson. He adds a running element to the offense that is explosive. As Driskel showed last year you don't need to make many throws for it to be successful especially against the group of 5 teams.

Last I saw the line it was bet up to -10, and at this point it seems high.

I really want to pick FAU to turn it around and win this week, but I still have to many memories from Saturday to think it can be turned around that quickly.

FAU loses 28-21

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Back to the top

Trying to be FEARLESS - I will predict Motor gets 30+ carries, 200+ yards, and 3+ TDs.  DJ plays at least half the game, has a couple of highlight-worthy long runs, and scores at least 1 TD.  Robison gets on the same page with our WRs and hits one or more of those long throws that were missed with our guy behind the OU secondary and throws for over 200  yards and at least 1 score.  The offense ends up with 600 yards.  The defense still has some shaky plays, but is athletic enough to limit how many go for scores.
FAU - 38
Air Force - 16 (3 FGs / 1 TD)

My gut is that we have a lot of that offensive output, but maybe stall in the redzone and don't score all those TDs.  The Air Force big plays are badly blown assignments and are 3 TDs instead of long gains, and FAU has to hold-on (but still gets the win).
FAU - 30
Air Force - 24

I hope I am totally wrong on both counts, and that it is a 50+ point offensive barrage and a dominant defensive display similar to what the Owls did to CUSA competition last year.  I just think there is little to really know about this team based on last week - OU is simply a different animal.
Back to the top

I don't see how DJ is not infused into the offense early and often on Saturday. The running game alone should be able to gash the AF D and score points. The D still concerns me and I don't think there will be a quick turnaround to where they resemble last year's D in just a matter of days after the shell-shocking OU beatdown, especially against a triple option o. I think AF will put points on the board, the question is – how many?

FAU - 42
AF - 31
Back to the top

Tough test for the defense. FAU needs to control the ball on offense and simplify things on defense. Explosiveness and big play ability are in FAU's favor. It will be a close one.

FAU 38

Air Force 31

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Don't use the phrase simplify on defense or you might get called out on the podcast.

I think we're going to find out that we need the defense and the special teams to score at some point this year.

Air Force grounds and pounds, eating up clock, and scores after long drives.

FAU finds a rhythm in the running game and scores quickly on some long runs.  Someone steps up in the receiving game and Robison has 200 yards passing.  Johnson rotates in and we play "anything you can do, I can do better" with the option.

It rains but there is no lightning delay - fans in the stands sweat from the sauna effect afterward.

My wife's Owl brownies will be a big hit at the tailgate.

My teenage daughter will be embarrassed by something I do or say.

My son plays Fornite on his phone the whole game.

The line to get in will be long as security is backed up.

These are my gameday predictions.
Back to the top

49-31 Owls win.  We get overly ambitious on the board and start talking about beating UCF and "Where was this offense against OU"  In other words, back to normal.
Back to the top

owlmart said

49-31 Owls win.  We get overly ambitious on the board and start talking about beating UCF and "Where was this offense against OU"  In other words, back to normal.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 10:36 PM #380304

I pray you are right! :Big-Grin:  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Don't use the phrase simplify on defense or you might get called out on the podcast.

Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 10:30 PM #380303
No idea what you mean by this, what "the podcast" refers to, or the reason for a "call out." Do you have a problem with running a base package with minimum shifts in coverage/stunts? Sometimes the best plan is the one that is easiest to remember and execute. The complex stuff comes with time and with lots of experience. Also, not good to get complex with a triple-option. Basic assignment based defense is key.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 10:30 PM #380303
No idea what you mean by this, what "the podcast" refers to, or the reason for a "call out." Do you have a problem with running a base package with minimum shifts in coverage/stunts? Sometimes the best plan is the one that is easiest to remember and execute. The complex stuff comes with time and with lots of experience. Also, not good to get complex with a triple-option. Basic assignment based defense is key.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Sep 7th 2018, 7:52 AM #380307

Some of the best defenses in college football run more complicated defenses. We have and experienced team and should be able to expand the play book without falling apart. 

Also the D you run vs a triple option has 0.0 to do with what the rest of the season it why it’s so dumb to play those teams.
It’s like teaching someone to BBQ everyday and one day they show up and you gotta stop everything and teach them to bake a cake. 
Back to the top

I'm not involved with producing the podcast, only providing material for it by posting on this board. ;)

The exact phrase you used was mentioned in the most recent podcast.

I think a "complex scheme" works well against a passing attack where you can affect timing and patterns by shifting and blitzing from different areas.

I think a different approach is needed against a triple option team where it's more about discipline and gap control, controlling the ends, and the second level making stops. Bring the safety into the box as an extra defender against the run.

Disclaimer: I'm just a dude on a message board and not a paid professional. ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: