Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

From an FIU Blog...Couldn't Agree More...

From an FIU Blog...Couldn't Agree More...

I know this is a blog concerned with FIU, but I’m sorry, the longer that game went on and hearing FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger postgame, the more I felt this had to be said to some FAU players: someday, if you have any more sense than God gave my cats, age will grant you a greater idea of what longevity, stature and history means. And you will feel great sorrow at your performance Saturday.

Not the losing by 34. That happens. As they said in GoodFellas, everybody takes a beating sometime. You’re a young team playing a team with more talent and more mature talent. But to do so with 7 personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and an ejection, to embarrass your coach so badly, he apologized to coaches who molded him both living and dead, is an abomination. It goes to character. It doesn’t matter if some of you think Howard Schnellenberger should’ve retired a year ago, two years ago, whenever. You chose to play at FAU in a program of which he is head coach. And while, to you, “Shula Bowl” might be some appellation meaning no more than “GoDaddy.com Bowl” because “Shula” means steak house chain, expressway or some guy who used to coach the Dolphins when they used to really ball, it still means something to your coach. To him, Don Shula’s a great football coach who influenced his career. And putting Schnellenberger’s career in parenting terms, he took one program in South Florida off the streets, saved it and got it going to success, did the same for another program in Louisville. Later, he birthed and has been raising the program you’re in now. If not for him, the University of Miami program might be in the childhood of its rebirth, assuming there was a rebirth. FAU? FIU? Please. You owe it to him to play hard and come correct. According to Howard, you’d done that before Saturday. Behaving so shamefully in a game and stadium that wouldn’t probably wouldn’t exist but for your coach reflects poorly on you, your parents and your school.

Read more: A few thoughts from FIU 41, FAU 7... | FIU Panthers Prowl
Back to the top

Re: From an FIU Blog...Couldn't Agree More...

I agree - but then you also have to look at the coaches as well (assistants and head coach). This is not something that just happened last night. This team has been an undisciplined disaster for years. It's really rearing its ugly head this year because we are flat out terrible. It's the coaching staff's job to instill discipline in the players that they brought it.
Back to the top

3 Personal fouls on one player (Jamere Johnson) , REALLY THREE? Do we own a BENCH? Well I guess the refs decided to do what our coaches would not, get him off the field, guess he wont be able to play vs. Troy now will he!
Nice that you had to apologize Coach S., but do your assistants really want a job in college (or even HS football) next year? I would not recommend any of them to coach my own grandkids in pee wee football. All control has been lost and as for strategy…..
Sorry that your final season as head Coach has come down as you worst by far.
Back to the top

Going down in flames, wheels fallen off the wagon, etc, etc....these all apply to our team this year. The frustration has affected our play on the field....Its bad, but a win would help alot...

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

d-owl said

I agree - but then you also have to look at the coaches as well (assistants and head coach). This is not something that just happened last night. This team has been an undisciplined disaster for years. It's really rearing its ugly head this year because we are flat out terrible. It's the coaching staff's job to instill discipline in the players that they brought it.

Totally agree. The coaching staff does nothing to instill discipline in practises, and that's where it starts. I have seen horse collar tackles, late kits, blatant pass interference, face masks, and more. Nothing is said or done as corrective measures. Man, if you see a player make a stupid mistake, that will cost you 15 yards in a game, at least make him run laps…or better yet, bench his butt for a few. Make them think. But no, same guys start, and nothing is done. No consequences for there actions. And that goes back to last year.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

3 Personal fouls on one player (Jamere Johnson) , REALLY THREE? Do we own a BENCH? Well I guess the refs decided to do what our coaches would not, get him off the field, guess he wont be able to play vs. Troy now will he!
Nice that you had to apologize Coach S., but do your assistants really want a job in college (or even HS football) next year? I would not recommend any of them to coach my own grandkids in pee wee football. All control has been lost and as for strategy…..
Is he #98? I was watching the incident that got him ejected. He and a Panther player were going at it in the endzone right after Perry scored. The refs were trying to seperate them and hadn't thrown any flags. I was surprised that they'd kept the flags in their pockets. But #98 just wouldn't quit, despite ample opportunity. When a ref tried to pull him away from the fracass he spun quickly, slapping the refs arm away. It was that contact with the ref that got him booted, as far as I could tell. What a hot head that guy is.
I thought some of the PF calls were a bit iffy, especially the second roughing the passer, but #98 was given plenty of opportunity to walk away unflagged before he got ejected.
Back to the top

HooterHater said

GeorgiaOwl said

Is he #98? I was watching the incident that got him ejected. He and a Panther player were going at it in the endzone right after Perry scored. The refs were trying to seperate them and hadn't thrown any flags. I was surprised that they'd kept the flags in their pockets. But #98 just wouldn't quit, despite ample opportunity. When a ref tried to pull him away from the fracass he spun quickly, slapping the refs arm away. It was that contact with the ref that got him booted, as far as I could tell. What a hot head that guy is.
I thought some of the PF calls were a bit iffy, especially the second roughing the passer, but #98 was given plenty of opportunity to walk away unflagged before he got ejected.

Yes, #98.  Thanks HH, for the account of what happened.  I was there but didn't see it happen, so what you are saying makes sense.

You won't be reading about any of us defending him (hopefully).
Back to the top

But if it were not for the rules keeping him out of the next game - these coaches would have him STARTING as usual! Only 3 more beatings guys!
Back to the top
Control functions: