Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

General questions - Conference USA championship game

In the way-too-early-to-be-thinking-about-FAU-going-but-a-planner-b
y-trade category, I understand the championship game rotates between campuses with the highest conference win percentage.

"Should" FAU continue on this path, what are our odds of landing the game?  What would need to happen? What would we need to consider as fans?

Owls Up!  Go Owls!
Back to the top

Before this weekend I really thought it would come down to the WKY and Marshall games to decide but it looks like it might have to wait until the kitties game the way they are playing.  Whoever wins the East will be hosting the conference championship based on how things are setting up.  The west is still open with NT on top with one loss but we have the head to head with them.

After what the kitties did to Marshall we need to win this game.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

should we beat Marshall and FIU, we would have the best record in the conference and should, key word should be hosting the championship game. LA Tech and Marshall are our two toughest games left, FIU we should win along with Charlotte. But lets get through Marshall first.
Back to the top

Marshall coming into town off a loss on their end with a short week should be a tough game.  I would imagine they come in hungry.

Marshall and FIU are currently tied for second place in the East - nice to have both at home!  Both should be dogfights - the Shula Bowl should be huge this year, with the conference on the line and a hyped match up between Butch Davis and Lane Kiffin.

La Tech is away and they're currently 2-2 in the conference and 4-4 overall.  Not as strong as we've seen from them recently but we need to remain focused and prepared.

Charlotte is away as well, but they are 1-3 in the conference and 1-7 overall.  This is the trap type game that you have to prepare for, not take lightly, and not look past it to the next game (potentially the conference championship game).

Great conversations to be having!
Back to the top

I guess I could go look it up, but what are the tiebreakers?  I assume head-to-head if applicable, but what is next?  Some leagues use something like record against the other "best" teams in the conference, some would simply use best overall record/winning percentage, some get down to things like fewest points allowed in conference games, and "big boys" might use ranking.  Since we don't all play each other, it seems like CUSA might frequently have to go to multiple-levels of the tiebreakers to determine who hosts the championship.
Back to the top

CONFERENCE USA
FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HOSTING CRITERIA
The teams with the highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA
play are regular-season division champions and meet for the Conference Championship at the
site of the team with the best regular-season Conference record. The following tie-breaker
formula is used for the Conference USA Football Championship game:

Two-team tie to determine host
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA
play.

2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, team with the highest College Football Playoff (CFP) ranking going
into final weekend of regular season and wins.
4. If still tied, highest average computer ranking.

Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion

[Principle: If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams
will begin the process again at #2.]
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA
play.

2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.

3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.

4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of
finish.

5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.

6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending
order of finish.

7. If still tied, team with highest CFP ranking.

8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the
championship game most recently.
Back to the top

So Owls have the edge right now and if win out are the hosts!
Back to the top

Win out and we are the "no-brainer" host as the only CUSA undefeated team.  That just makes it a lot easier, so I like it the best!!!
Back to the top

Holy crap, I can't believe that we have an actual thread about HOSTING the CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Like, take a step back and think about that people. We used to have threads about whether or not we will be in bowl contention.

Enjoy this guys.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

But it is true - ONE GAME AT A TIME, ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: