Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

General questions - Conference USA championship game

Local Owl said

I hate saying this….if FAU wins C-USA, will they be playing in the Boca Bowl ?
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 6:55 PM #372610

The team would not get to travel but If they win out and get to host the CUSA title game and THEN get to play at home again in the Boca Bowl…. COULD be looking at 11-3.

THAT would be incredible!!!!

But - gotta play em one game at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

So it looks like it will be a last minute reservation. Bowl selection, reservation.
Back to the top

Serious last minute.  For teams that make it to the CUSA championship game, that is on 12/2.  Some of those bowl games are on 12/16.  And I would guess none of the 6 (or 7) teams who get bowl invites will get any before the championship is decided???  Maybe a couple will get locked in who are not in the CUSA game, but I assume the bowls have some kind of pecking order on who gets first dibs.
Back to the top

Tie-ins and what conference plays in it:

12/16 New Orleans - Sun Belt (first bowl game of the season)
12/16 New Mexico - Mountain West (last projections I saw on ESPN had us going here???)
12/19 Boca - American
12/21 St. Pete - American
12/22 Bahamas - MAC
12/26 Heart of Dallas - Big 12
12/27 Independence - only if CUSA has 7 bowl-eligible teams and the SEC or ACC don't have enough teams

I still don't see which one gets to "pick" first or any kind of loose ties (i.e. CUSA #1 goes here, #2 goes there)
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Tie-ins and what conference plays in it:

12/16 New Orleans - Sun Belt (first bowl game of the season)
12/16 New Mexico - Mountain West (last projections I saw on ESPN had us going here???)
12/19 Boca - American
12/21 St. Pete - American
12/22 Bahamas - MAC
12/26 Heart of Dallas - Big 12
12/27 Independence - only if CUSA has 7 bowl-eligible teams and the SEC or ACC don't have enough teams

I still don't see which one gets to "pick" first or any kind of loose ties (i.e. CUSA #1 goes here, #2 goes there)
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 7:41 PM #372616

Conference USA doesn’t really pick bowls like that. They will more than likely be based more on regions, and who might draw the best crowd. Maybe except Independence cause they may want a top C-USA to face an ACC or SEC team. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Serious last minute.  For teams that make it to the CUSA championship game, that is on 12/2.  Some of those bowl games are on 12/16.  And I would guess none of the 6 (or 7) teams who get bowl invites will get any before the championship is decided???  Maybe a couple will get locked in who are not in the CUSA game, but I assume the bowls have some kind of pecking order on who gets first dibs.
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 7:35 PM #372615
CUSA has Marshall BE now, and SEVEN (7) teams with 5 wins already PLUS La. Tech at 4-4 (3 home games and at UTEP) AND MTSU trailing the pack at 3-5 but with UTEP, UNC-Charlotte and ODU still to play - 3 winnable games!

CUSA "could" have 10 Bowl eligible teams at the "minimum" 6 win level!
Back to the top

In a way-too-early projection, both of these guys say FAU vs SDSU in New Mexico:

Week 9 college football bowl projections for 2017
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 7:35 PM #372615

Bowl selection day is 12/3 after conference championships.  DAY will not be in boca bowl if you listened to anything that the administration has said since the creation of the game.
Back to the top

Wouldn't it be logical that the best C-USA team plays vs a Big12 opponent?

I'm hoping for a trip to St Pete vs AAC team.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Wouldn't it be logical that the best C-USA team plays vs a Big12 opponent?

I'm hoping for a trip to St Pete vs AAC team.
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 8:36 PM #372621

Of course that's most logical. But this is college football in CUSA, so just throw all logic out of the window!  :Laughing:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top
Control functions: