Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

General questions - Conference USA championship game

DeltAlumnus said

owlsdad said

Tie-ins and what conference plays in it:

12/16 New Orleans - Sun Belt (first bowl game of the season)
12/16 New Mexico - Mountain West (last projections I saw on ESPN had us going here???)
12/19 Boca - American
12/21 St. Pete - American
12/22 Bahamas - MAC
12/26 Heart of Dallas - Big 12
12/27 Independence - only if CUSA has 7 bowl-eligible teams and the SEC or ACC don't have enough teams

I still don't see which one gets to "pick" first or any kind of loose ties (i.e. CUSA #1 goes here, #2 goes there)
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 7:41 PM #372616
Conference USA doesn’t really pick bowls like that. They will more than likely be based more on regions, and who might draw the best crowd. Maybe except Independence cause they may want a top C-USA to face an ACC or SEC team. 
Posted On: Nov 2nd 2017, 7:47 PM #372617
No, the winner picks the bowl the conference does not.

My opinion, if we win the conference we would hope for Independence Bowl since it is the biggest payout and play a p5 conference.  We will not choose New Orleans because we would play down to the Sunbelt, but I would love an excuse to go to NO.  We would definitely not choose New Mexico.  Boca Bowl is not going to happen, last thing the Orange Bowl committee wants is the local team.  Which leaves St. Pete, Bahama and Dallas. For selfish reason I hope for Bahama Bowl but it’s the schools decision.  I didn’t see the Dallas tie in when I looked but might have missed it.

Odds are St. Pete or Bahamas.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Here is where I got all the bowl tie-in info:

http://www.conferenceusa.com/news/2017/5/10/FB_0510170830.aspx
Back to the top

Playing against that Toledo team that I watched last night in a bowl would be a great matchup.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

so looking at the schedule for CUSA West, unless UTEP pulls off the upset, North Texas will lock up the CUSA West as of Saturday, unless they lose, and then it becomes a bit murkier.
Back to the top

Yep.  I know we blew them out, but I kind of hate having to play a rematch, and doubly hate playing a team that we beat so soundly because human nature leans towards us being a little over-confident and them being really hungry to prove the first game was an anomaly.  Don't get me wrong - if we win the next 2 and get to host the game I would expect us to be favored and confident, but expect a very motivated UNT team if that is how things shake out.
Back to the top

Yep, looking like a of rematch with North Texas at home for the Championship!

Classes end December 6th, so just under the bell for keeping the students around for it  :cool:

Back to the top

Pre-mature question, but does anybody know how tickets work if we host the Championship?  I assume I still have the rights to my seats and the Silver lot, but I also assume I will get charged something for both.  Regardless what happens this weekend, if we beat FIU and then close the season with a win against Charlotte, we will be the host based on head-to-head with UNT (anybody else wins the West means they have a 2-loss champion).  We won't know for absolute sure until at least next weekend's outcome, but optimistically planning ahead!
Back to the top

Not premature - I actually called the ticket office yesterday (or maybe we're both crazy).

It was my understanding they haven't been briefed on the process yet but they hope to have something in place this week.
Back to the top

Conference owns the game…rights, and revenue.

However, they will honor season ticket holders and current relationships from what I have been told by FAU.

Back to the top

So does that mean if we are season tickets holders we get tickets and a parking pass or just have to buy them
Back to the top
Control functions: