Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

General questions - Conference USA championship game

You have to buy tickets and parking, its not a part of the season ticket package.
Back to the top

Rick said

You have to buy tickets and parking, its not a part of the season ticket package.
Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 3:14 PM #372909

But you get the rights to your season tickets just like to Boca Bowl.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Here's the deal.  "IF" we have the the choice for which bowl we're going to.  We are choosing the one against the highest ranked opponent.  Just take my word on that one.  
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

Here's the deal.  "IF" we have the the choice for which bowl we're going to.  We are choosing the one against the highest ranked opponent.  Just take my word on that one.  
Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 9:03 PM #372912

:-]

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Roscoeowl said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 9:03 PM #372912

:-]
Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 9:25 PM #372914

I think it will be a combination of highest ranked and biggest name.

If I am Kiffen and have a chance to go to a bowl vs somebody like UF…I'm taking that shot.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I'd still say the combination is biggest named P5 opponent and largest payday.  Those will ***probably*** be connected, anyway.  But as a university, if we have a choice to play a name-brand Big10 or Big12 school in the Heart of Dallas or play some lower-level (at least in brand recognition) P5 school in something like the Belk Bowl, I'd take the trip to Charlotte and the higher payout.  Just like I'd take the trip to Dallas over St. Pete or Boca or the Bahamas.

There are some big assumptions that a CUSA team will get that chance.  Of the bowls the conference has tie-ins to (including secondary), the Heart of Dallas seems like the option for money ($1.2M) and brand-name opponent (Big10/Big12/PAC12).  What would play in our favor to land something outside of the tie-ins is the recognition and publicity (curiosity) Kiffin would lend to the bowl.  But we need to win out to make any of that talk realistic.
Back to the top

Owlsdad, you have to also take into consideration the expenses incurred for the bowl trip. Getting $300k more to go to Heart of Dallas is probably not worth it over St Pete where travel expenses will be way cheaper etc. Have to think of the net. But saying this, I too agree that biggest team and net amount of money earned are my 2 biggest factors.
Back to the top

Big Lerm (Guest) said

Owlsdad, you have to also take into consideration the expenses incurred for the bowl trip. Getting $300k more to go to Heart of Dallas is probably not worth it over St Pete where travel expenses will be way cheaper etc. Have to think of the net. But saying this, I too agree that biggest team and net amount of money earned are my 2 biggest factors.
Posted On: Nov 10th 2017, 2:05 PM #372973

Well I'd assume the payout would more than cover the cost of traveling to a better bowl.
Back to the top

Lots of different numbers can be found, but here are some "most recent payouts" I came across:

Boca - $400k
St. Pete - $537.5k
New Orleans - $500k
New Mexico - $456.25k
Bahamas - $450k
Heart of Dallas - $800k (saw it listed as high as $1.2M)
Independence - $1.15M
Belk - $1.7M

I think some of those numbers can go down if the original conference (SEC/ACC etc.) get replaced by a CUSA or "lesser" league.  So money-wise, if you aren't getting to a bowl like one of those last 3 there really isn't a significant difference in all the other CUSA tie-in games.  Given all that, if we aren't up for a "bigger bowl" and get to choose from the first 4 in the list St. Pete makes the most sense - biggest payout and lowest cost except for staying at home.
Back to the top

This is where I'm getting my numbers…maybe not accurate? I'm not saying that you are wrong and Heart of Dallas is a less net payout, honestly I have no idea what the numbers would be. I just want to point out that it's something to be considered. I would think we a bus ride vs. air travel, less nights needed for a hotel, shipping of equipment, etc. that it may be worth it…but again, I don't know for sure.
Back to the top
Control functions: