Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Help pick FAU's Greatest Season -- 03 or 07?

Re: Help pick FAU's Greatest Season -- 03 or 07?

I'll take the bait on the '03 team being better for a reason that has nothing to do with actual talent (at least directly).

The 2003 team put FAU on the map with our student body, with the community and with the football world. Until 2003, a large majority of students weren't putting football games on their calendars and planning on going to the games. Towards the end of the season, students were looking forward to the games.

The 2003 team did a lot for the atmosphere of the school at the time.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I am at work, so I cannot not give a full debate, but I do want to say that Crissinger hill was the best player we ever had to date. I don't think harmon is on his level. If it wasn't for marijuana, hill would be playing on sundays right now in my opinion (as a third string wide receiver, not tight end). That Hawaii game, crissinger just took over (from the blurbs i saw coming in and out during teh hurricane) and they may be the best team we ever beat. Harmon can't take over a game, he can only make big plays. I will say that I think rusty has more athletic ability and potentional, but Allen had a consistency. Also, it was as if he could read hill and bynes mind. They were always on the same page. I have not seen that level of connection with Rusty and gent/harmon.  If rusty gets to that level this year though… I think we can upset south carolina.
Back to the top

well, 07 by 84%

03 was great, but it just can't compete… first division championship, first bowl game, and the fastest a startup team ever to do so. But let's hope we can add 09 to that list with only better things to come!
Back to the top

First are we debating which team is better or which team meant more to our history?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

First are we debating which team is better or which team meant more to our history?

Which was a "Better Season"…….

That has kind of morphed into which Team was better…
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

03 was the better team? I don't know man, but looking at the skill positions, they're really close. hopefully this stirs some debate so we can get through the last month before football.

I will give you that Mark Myers and Andy Rosas were better than Warley and whoever we picked from the stands to punt for us in 07 but…

Allen v Smith (too close to call, both very good)
Parker v DI and CP (I'll say that DP would have been a force with a better line in front of him, so that's arguable)
WRs: Bynes v Gent (also v close)
TEs: ACH v Harmon (both greats as well)
LBs: Laz n Swain v Joseph n Cerg
CBs: Willie Hughly v Small

I think they're verrrrry close. I'd take any one of those players back on our squad right now. That's one thing HS did well, he managed to find some great football players to start this program.

I was just reviewing the results from 03 and I totally forgot about the second game, that weak loss to Valdosta after we beat MTSU. We should have never lost that game! Then followed that by UCF which was such a great game. 2003 was a damn good year.

First, that Valdosta game was awful.  The 03 team was special but the 07 team was more talented by far.  The 07 team would have smacked Colgate in the mouth.  ACH was probably the most talented skill player we have ever had at FAU though, I do agree with that.  I think Doug Parker was the best RB we ever had as well.  But where it matters most, on the O-Line and D-Line 03 doesn't stack up to 07…not to say 07's was great it was just that much better than 03's.                                                

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I think you've got a point in that the 07 team could have run the table against the entire 03 schedule, easily. The 03 season was really important in that is put us on a map, not "the" map but at least we started getting noticed by everyone after that. I know a lot of the students wouldn't show up this year if we booked Northern Arizona.

and as far as skill positions go, it seems fairly close but there's no comparison when it comes to the lines.

the tight end argument ends here…Danston Dareus is the best one we've had, period.  ;D
Back to the top

Ok, i have a VERY serious question…

Why do some believe that "Toker" was better than "Hops"??

No, i am not trying to belabor this…but why??  Just not seeing that?!

"Toker" was slow…granted he was effective at getting into the gaps; but he excelled against lesser competition - hands down…

"Hops" has gained his yardage against more credible foes…….

Photo courtesy: Bob Markey
Back to the top

Best picture of all time, hands down.
Back to the top

theblackmaria6 said

Best picture of all time, hands down.

There's a better one from the side.

No disrespect to BMarkey, of course, because he does great photos and hopefully he'll be around this season to do some more.
Back to the top
Control functions: