Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

HIRE Mike Leach

Re: HIRE Mike Leach

Let me make it clear that I fully believe Howard should coach next year. I'm just talking about after that. Other schools can offer more money buuuuuttt, they haven't yet. Leach still isn't coaching anywhere and if he has doesn't have a job next year, he'll be wanting to get back into coaching even more. Look at our coaching situations. We were lucky to get Howard because he lived in the area, we were lucky to get Jarvis because he lived in the area. Why not continue the trend? Ya other schools can offer more money, but we could offer Leach staying at home so to speak. Howard and Jarvis all could have found better money someplace but they decided to give FAU a try because its convenient and they wanted to coach again. Sounds alot like Leach huh? If we could offer him $400 or higher then maybe he'd take the job, especially since as Rick pointed out, he's got another $400 coming his way. I'm just trying to say that money may not be an issue because our two current coaches are proof of that. Maybe things could fall into place like they did with Howard and Jarvis. Would any of you think that after Jarvis's record at St. Johns that he'd come to a school that had barely any winnings seasons? Leach coming here could happen, its a long shot, but maybe not THAT long considering our previous hires.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Let me make it clear that I fully believe Howard should coach next year. I'm just talking about after that. Other schools can offer more money buuuuuttt, they haven't yet. Leach still isn't coaching anywhere and if he has doesn't have a job next year, he'll be wanting to get back into coaching even more. Look at our coaching situations. We were lucky to get Howard because he lived in the area, we were lucky to get Jarvis because he lived in the area. Why not continue the trend? Ya other schools can offer more money, but we could offer Leach staying at home so to speak. Howard and Jarvis all could have found better money someplace but they decided to give FAU a try because its convenient and they wanted to coach again. Sounds alot like Leach huh? If we could offer him $400 or higher then maybe he'd take the job, especially since as Rick pointed out, he's got another $400 coming his way. I'm just trying to say that money may not be an issue because our two current coaches are proof of that. Maybe things could fall into place like they did with Howard and Jarvis. Would any of you think that after Jarvis's record at St. Johns that he'd come to a school that had barely any winnings seasons? Leach coming here could happen, its a long shot, but maybe not THAT long considering our previous hires.
Also lets be honest, we are not competing against 119 other schools…Many of the conservative schools will not even consider Leach at this point…My only problem with it is the stupid spread offense but if its winning games I cant complain.
Back to the top

We have a coach and we are not searching so we really shouldn't be surprised that FAU isn't looking at anyone. To be quite honest, who would want to come to FAU as a head coach in waiting?

Maybe we can revisit this conversation after next year, but for the time being Howard Schnellenberger is the head coach and leader of FAU football.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Changing from the pro-style offense to the spread can take years…i.e. Michigan. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I like Tony Franklin as a possible HC. Problem is he specializes in spread offense and like Walty said it may take years to convert to spread

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

In football I think its key to not be a stepping stone for coaches to use to get other jobs.  In basketball that is not as devastating as in football.  You have 3 head football coaches in 4 years in football you can pretty much kiss your program goodbye for at least 10 years.

Players want stability in a program more than anything else.  They want a program with identity and to know what to expect when they go there.  Transition is not a good thing in college football.

If Howard has to go I think somebody like Randy Shannon would be the perfect fit.  He could take advantage of his South Florida roots and improve our recruiting drastically.  Also, he seems like a character guy (I think UM was graduating 85% of its players with him at the helm) which to me is probably more important than winning.  I dont mean to be a "hater" or whatever, but if I were a University of Florida alumni I would be ashamed of how we won and the players that represented me and my University.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Leach as our Head Coach and running the O and Diaz as our DC. Wow, talk about what an exciting upcoming program that would be!

Recruiting would go through the roof, we would be winnign LOTS of games and would have to be holding talks about the expansio of our new stadium. For now, we worry if 10K will show for the final few home games next year. What is wrong with that picture! Let's stop dwelling on our (actually Howard's) past and BUILD the program for the future, starting today!

I am very grateful to him for all he has done, but his time is obviously past, with the program moving backwards at a steady pace. Name the field for him and have him led the team on the field at the first game. But let's move on and grow.
Back to the top

Rather than bring a big name coach, maybe we should consider bringing up a coach from a proven, winning FCS school. Kerwin Bell of Jacksonville University comes to mind.

Football - CoachesKerwin Bell - Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site
Back to the top

I think Owlfan makes a good point…have any of you heard anything about Angelos looking at coaches right now? I know it's the offseason and this gives us something to talk about but I don't think they're shopping right now, we have a coach.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

have any of you heard anything about Angelos looking at coaches right now?

No, I think he's too busy looking for a job  :o  ;)

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: